Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Why are there so many...

• annarr1117nub18_ESO
    The SCTV show vampire pic is funny!, lol
  • annarr1117nub18_ESO
    Joe Flaherty was my favorite cast member on SCTV sketch comedy show way back in the day folks!
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    rdfarley89 wrote: »
    Ok , ES lore people , vampires DONT BURN IN THE SUN , since skyrim.

They did in Morrowind (see below). Skyrim comes after Morrowind, this game comes before both. Also no they all just wanna be sweet transvestites from Transexual, Transylvania.

From UESPwiki for Morrowind:

"Of course, there is a downside to becoming a vampire. You do not regenerate health when you sleep (though fatigue and magicka are unaffected). The only ways to regain health are via the Vampire Touch or any Absorb Health spell or with Restore Health spells and items. Additionally, during daylight hours (6 a.m. until 8 p.m.), you will take Sun Damage up to 5 pts. a second, if you're outside. You'll either have to stay indoors for those hours or equip Constant Effect Restore Health items to counter the life drain. You'll also take increased (+ 50%) Fire Damage from spells and weapons and very few people will want to talk with you. Aside from the Mages Guild and House Telvanni, everyone will either shun you or try to kill you. This can make travel much more difficult, as boatmen, Guild Guides and Silt Strider caravaners will not transport you. It is also impossible to get any Quests outside of the Vampire, Mages Guild, and House Telvanni Quests, as no one will talk to you to give you the quest."

In elder scrolls lore there are lot's of different strains of vampirism with very different abilities / weaknesses.
    also of note is the fact that pc vampires have been turned by the original vampire (because being soul shriven you can't be turned in the normal way) meaning that pc vampires are about as pure a strain as you can get.

• rdfarley89
    rdfarley89
    ✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    kermit_the_frog_bites_vincent_by_kraljaleksandar-d3c2sp0.gif

If this was reddit would upvote for Vincent Price.

• AgriyaTheGrey
    AgriyaTheGrey
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC, the bit about vamps burning in the sun was added to the mythology by the silent movie Nosferatu (to be pedantic, Count Orloff is destroyed by being out of his coffin at ***-crow) and expanded upon in the old Lugosi movies, but had no counterpart in traditional (European) vampire myth prior to that. (Didn't Coppola's Dracula movie had Drac out in Victorian London in daylight with sunglasses on?) On that basis, it's arguably reasonable for ESO (and TES) to have vamps that don't burn in the light of day.

[edit. Should have realised the censor wouldn't allow me to post the word that designates a male chicken even in the context of male chickens.][Edit #2: and no sooner do I say so and the censor relents.][edit #3: and don't get me started on the fact that 'werewolves' -specifically as depicted in game- have no counterpart in folklore at all, but were invented for the old Universal horror flicks in the 30s.]
    Edited by AgriyaTheGrey on May 8, 2014 4:24PM
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.
    -Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader CBE DSO DFC FRAeS DL
    If a man is correct in his own person, then there will be obedience without orders being given; but if he is not correct in his own person, there will not be obedience even though orders are given.
    -The Lun Yu
  • zoetaz1616
    zoetaz1616
    ✭✭
    IIRC, the bit about vamps burning in the sun was added to the mythology by the silent movie Nosferatu (to be pedantic, Count Orloff is destroyed by being out of his coffin at ***-crow) and expanded upon in the old Lugosi movies, but had no counterpart in traditional (European) vampire myth prior to that. (Didn't Coppola's Dracula movie had Drac out in Victorian London in daylight with sunglasses on?) On that basis, it's arguably reasonable for ESO (and TES) to have vamps that don't burn in the light of day.

[edit. Should have realised the censor wouldn't allow me to post the word that designates a male chicken even in the context of male chickens.][Edit #2: and no sooner do I say so and the censor relents.][edit #3: and don't get me started on the fact that 'werewolves' -specifically as depicted in game- have no counterpart in folklore at all, but were invented for the old Universal horror flicks in the 30s.]

Actually werewolves have folklore dating back to the 15th century. They are the reason shaving implements were invented.
  • Starlifter88
    zoetaz1616 wrote: »
    Actually werewolves have folklore dating back to the 15th century. They are the reason shaving implements were invented.

Off topic - Do not doubt the werewolf part, but shaving implements pre-date the ancient Greeks.
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭

This is about TES vampire lore, not Dracula/Nosferatu/etc.

In TES there are multiple vampire bloodlines. Some are more vulnerable to sun than others. In fact there are at least two discrete documented sources of Vampirism in TES (three if you consider the first vampire created by Molag Bal).

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Vampire
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • Lalaeith
    Lalaeith
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the main reasons for the many Vampires (despite the 'I want to be OP in PvP thing) is that people who come from the ES playerbase (including me) had the option in previous TES Games. There even was a whole DLC for Skyrim. Everyone who bought that DLC most likely played a Vamp or WW in Skyrim. Nobody wants Vampire Scrolls Online, but why should anyone who played an undead or ww in previous ES games stop doing so now just so others can have the fun?

Also...have NPC attack vampires... great idea^^ Vampires should be able to kill them then in order to defend themselves and what then? a seperate instance for everyone, so the correct NPCs are dead for each seperate player? Also burninig in sunlight is something I like, but it will not work in an MMO. Time doesn't stop just because you log off. Half of you start spamming these forums if maintenance happens to be during your freetime.Just imagine coming home after a hard day of work, wanting to spend 1 or 2 hours in Tamriel and guess what? It's daytime and you burn as soon as you take a step outside. And that wont change for the next 6 hours. Awesome!

I think vampires are fine the way they are now. The stages hurt you more than they benefit you with only 7% cost reduction. In exchange you get some decent passives (if they work).
    Edited by Lalaeith on May 8, 2014 8:21PM
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played all the ES games from Morrowwind on...and never once did I feel particularly moved to become a vampire or werewolf.

I was heartbroken to hear the World of Darkness MMO was cancelled only because it now means those fans of the series will still be found in MMO's I play, corrupting the lore and content so they can be their Tom Cullen's or Jacob Black's.

I don't hate the mosters, per se...I hate what's been done to them by the movies. The last GOOD vampire movie (imnsho) was 30 Days of Night. The last good werewolf movie was.....Lon Chaney's The Wolfman. (Perhaps the remake of that movie, with Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins qualifies as the last good werewolf film).
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    I've played all the ES games from Morrowwind on...and never once did I feel particularly moved to become a vampire or werewolf.

I was heartbroken to hear the World of Darkness MMO was cancelled only because it now means those fans of the series will still be found in MMO's I play, corrupting the lore and content so they can be their Tom Cullen's or Jacob Black's.

I don't hate the mosters, per se...I hate what's been done to them by the movies. The last GOOD vampire movie (imnsho) was 30 Days of Night. The last good werewolf movie was.....Lon Chaney's The Wolfman. (Perhaps the remake of that movie, with Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins qualifies as the last good werewolf film).

The last decent vampire movie was interview with the vampire... 30 days of night... are you kidding me? :p

I don't see how other players running around as vampires impacts you tho tbh... 
  • devolutedub17_ESO
    devolutedub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Apparently someone has never seen Teen Wolf.
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's silly and lore breaking to see so many vampires running around.
  • devolutedub17_ESO
    devolutedub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    kieso wrote: »
    It's silly and lore breaking to see so many vampires running around.

My characters in game view vampires the way I view vampires hanging out at the mall in front of Hot Topics, not real.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are there so many
    threads about vampires
    and why do so many feel snide

Vampire players
    are getting defensive
    and everyone's choosing a side

"10k for bite" on the zone channel window
    while others complain "it's OP"

Someday we'll find it
    The vampire connection
    With werewolves, dremora, and me

(All of us under its spell
    we know that the nerf bat is coming)
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    The reason has often been written,
    It's easy to see why we are smitten,

I delight the night sight, in bright white moonlight,
    Death's might is my right if I am bitten.
  • Alephen
    Alephen
    ✭✭✭
    best vampire ever? there is no competition with nosferatu

nosferatu.jpg
    Edited by Alephen on May 9, 2014 4:07AM
  • Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭
    For the DawnGaurd ;-)
    ZoS please understand everyone thinks and pronounces things differently, so please add to your 'rules' that things get removed if the Mod doesn't actually quite understand phrasing
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might be cool if only the vamps and WW were allowed to open wod pvp each other, like an Underworld fight. Yes, I just did that.
    Edited by RazzPitazz on May 9, 2014 12:56PM
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭
    Nah .. Let give us a 'Dawngaurd' we can join upto, maybe make it some secretive shoot-off of the Fighters Guild/Dark Brother Hood (need to be in both maybe and not DEFINATELY not simple to get into) to reduce number of members (unlike Twilights/WW's ;-) ) and then let them all have at it.

If anyone's been watching 'The Original's' some nice faction friction like in that maybe, setup hierarchy within each and definately rivalry in the vamp camp, vanity issues etc lol

WW's more leader of the pack mentality

DG .. obviously human nature will kick in :-(
    ZoS please understand everyone thinks and pronounces things differently, so please add to your 'rules' that things get removed if the Mod doesn't actually quite understand phrasing
  • zoetaz1616
    zoetaz1616
    ✭✭
    zoetaz1616 wrote: »

Off topic - Do not doubt the werewolf part, but shaving implements pre-date the ancient Greeks.

Well played sir.
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh one can only wait for the criminal and justice system!!!! Vampires tears are delicious BTW.
  • Requiemslove
    Requiemslove
    ✭✭✭
    Alaina wrote: »
    I think its the type/breed of Vampire. Perhaps since ESO is WAYYYY before all the other ES game events, Vampires and Werewolves are a purer blood so Vamps will not take damage from sunlight. In Skyrim there was a pure bred vampire clan running around so maybe those regular vampires in skyrim where of a higher breed as well. But how many licks does it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop? the world may never know :3

Sorry, this I must call shenanigans on. :p It is an affront to VAMPIRE lore that vampires don't burn in sunlight[in ESO]. This is not about ESO or previous ES titles, this is about VAMPIRES. And they burn in the sun, they always have, and always will. It don't matter what games or new fiction/film does in this respect as none of that can get away from the fact they know they are breaking the RULES. And everyone knows Vampires burn in sunlight, just like they don't like Garlic. And holy water...and steaks.

Mmmmmm steak.
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    kieso wrote: »
    It's really silly honestly the same negatives should apply to you as a vampire as they did in skyrim. NPC's attacking you if you're at certain stages, etc.

I agree, and I also think players who become vampires and werewolves should also be barred from gaining skills in the Fighters guild.

• AgriyaTheGrey
    AgriyaTheGrey
    ✭✭✭
    This is about TES vampire lore, not Dracula/Nosferatu/etc.

Uh huh, but it's relevant inasmuch as to show why there is no reason -other than inertia- why vampirism in TES/ESO should conform to depictions of vampirism in other parts of popular culture. The divergence of TES/ESO from movie/TV vampirism is a good thing.
    zoetaz1616 wrote:
    Actually werewolves have folklore dating back to the 15th century.

Werewolves are indeed found in folklore, but folklore werewolves tend to be people that turn into actual wolves (usually as a result of ownership of a cursed object), not into the human/wolf hybrid (in consequence of an infectious bite/scratch) that we see in movies, and as we see in TES/ESO. The human/wolf hybrid form is entirely Hollywood (and the writer Curt Siodmak who wrote 1941's 'The Wolfman'), and only owes a vague nod in the direction of folklore.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.
    -Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader CBE DSO DFC FRAeS DL
    If a man is correct in his own person, then there will be obedience without orders being given; but if he is not correct in his own person, there will not be obedience even though orders are given.
    -The Lun Yu