Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Would a PVP invite work against bots? Launch an invite, no reply in 15 mins, flag is on.

Squishy
Squishy
✭✭✭
Basically, since the largest majority will not agree to timers on things (harvesting/boss), would a timer on open PVP flag be an option?

Example: Player A enter the Game. Bot B, C, D, EFFGHHH, GFGFGFg enters the game.

Player A invites BOT A to a pvp check (kinda like are you a bot? if not, push a RANDOM letter to avoid any Scripting). If after let's say 15 minutes you have not replied correctly, your pvp flag gets turned on. The message would be a notification/onscreen message, not a chat message. The reply would be randomized every time it is asked, to avoid scripted answers from bots.

If you kill the target, you get to loot it of stuff it currently has on (gold, inventory...).

Yes this could be abused, but I think if you are away for 15 minutes from the game, you probably should log off :).

I guess some safe zones could be instored (like cities and general quest hubs area), but wilderness should be open to this.

This will have the effect of killing the bots, and wasting some of their loot, to the profit of the players killing said bots.

It might not solve the actual bot issue, but if actual raiding parties against bots get organized by players, the bot productivity and loss, might help a bit... Worse case scenario, we get to kill bots and relieve some of our stress, and we get some their gold :)
Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on May 7, 2014 4:30PM
"In 2014, a possible bot was sent to coldharbour by a military GM for a crime she didn't commit. This argonian promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Ebonheart underground. Today, still wanted by the developers she survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a bot problem, if no one else can bite you, and if you can find her....maybe you can hire The SQUISHY."

Would a PVP invite work against bots? Launch an invite, no reply in 5 mins, flag is on. 30 votes

Yes, let the bot mass slaughter begins. Even if it does not solve the issue, it'll be stress relieving at least.
43%
SquishySleepydanMakarionCainthelongshotEeterFinagillrdfarley89ThechemicalsPicoliniHeXedBladeSyrexXarkoHumanophage 13 votes
No. Timers or harvesting/boss are the solution.
0%
No. More GM's hoping around randomly in the world hoping to stumble on bot's nest are the solution.
36%
SacklunchChairGraveyardEliteZnetodecdc1509AlexDoughertyHuckdabuckRagnar_LodbrokKyotee0071Theron75Nathair 11 votes
No/ other: please input a detailed idea.
20%
SakiriWhitePawPrintsSaltypretzelsFoxhunttixier.benub17_ESOBlackwolfe5 6 votes
  • Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, let the bot mass slaughter begins. Even if it does not solve the issue, it'll be stress relieving at least.
    apologize if this is not in the right forum, but I was unsure as to where this would fit :(.

I'm also unable to correct the title to say 15 instead of 5 minutes :(
    "In 2014, a possible bot was sent to coldharbour by a military GM for a crime she didn't commit. This argonian promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Ebonheart underground. Today, still wanted by the developers she survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a bot problem, if no one else can bite you, and if you can find her....maybe you can hire The SQUISHY."
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. More GM's hoping around randomly in the world hoping to stumble on bot's nest are the solution.
    Some people turn off their chat, especially if they use teamspeak (or other voice com), so them not responding isn't proof they are bots.

Having us report all suspected bots, and having a GM investigate means that if they aren't bots and they get wiped, they will be reactivating their chat to ask what just happened, and you won't have to say "sorry we all thought you were bots".

By the way, best place for this is probably "Dungeons" in "PVE Content" forums.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on May 7, 2014 3:24PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the best idea for anything i have heard on these forums. A simple dueling command that if not answered in 1-2 minutes is automatically accepted.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    @AlexDougherty it would not be in a chat, but an actual on screen message (like press E to gather), and it sticks on until you either say yes or no (with a random Yes and No key picked on a keyboard, to avoid scripting of the answers).

Sorry, I should have specified this.

@ZOS_SofiaC Thank you for the Edit on the main thread <3. Would you kindly be able to add that the message would be a system message/interaction/group invite message (similar to the gathering/grouping messages?) rather than a chat message as I might not have explained it clearly enough :)
    Edited by Squishy on May 7, 2014 3:54PM
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    i regularly turn off my chat. Besides, bots could simply be programmed to get around the proposed solution.
    Edited by Saltypretzels on May 7, 2014 4:20PM
  • Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    @utzpretzels it would be an onscreen message, like "press E to gather" or a accept/deny group invite, not a chat message :smile:

It is also suggested that the keys needed to be pressed for the answers, be randomized everytime, making it impossible to script the correct answer :smile:
    Edited by Squishy on May 7, 2014 4:24PM
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    The abuse isn't worth it. I don't want someone stealing my loot because I went AFK.
  • Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said (by suggesting 15minutes), making it slightly larger than the auto kick for being AFK would solve this issue, as you'd be kicked from the game before this could be triggered :) I put 15 minutes, as I believe that is the autokick time. If not, adjust the time to be slightly longer than that :)
    Edited by Squishy on May 7, 2014 4:28PM
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you guys realize that this wouldn't actually do anything about bots, and would rope in more normal non-botting players than any of the methods they use currently.

Furthermore, timers are also 100% ineffective at bots. They put boss timers in - guess what? The botters added MORE BOTS.
  • Finagill
    Finagill
    You could easily after the buttons needed to accept or reject be random as long as they are not associated with moving, E, or R. They could add a second portion that is you are flagged as a possible bot, are killed, and do not revive with in 15 minutes that you are automatically reported as a bot for a GM to investigate. Or if the dev's wanted to have some fun with it, once your account is flagged as a bot you are stuck in PvP mode until a GM clears your name or bans you.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horrible, horrible idea. lets just get normal pvers flagged for ganking because they dont answer your troll duel request.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sadly...like diablo 2--- a pvp invite would likely be spammed by griefers.
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    Like said before, it would have a 15 minutes timer for a reply, it would be quite normal to put a CD on it, so it is not abused (ie: only one request every 15 minutes, with a 15 minutes window- or whichever time is the autokick from server + a few seconds- to reply). If anyone is willing to check the same person over and over for 30 minutes, well they are patient aren't they? :)

Since the reply could not be scripted, due to the need for a randomly selected key to be pressed, the bots, would have to manually check every single bots every 15minutes-ish to circumvent this measure.

• Theron75
    Theron75
    ✭✭
    No. Too easy to get around for the bots, too open to abuse from the players.

Besides, if you think a PvPer is going to wait around for 15 minutes, you're nuts. They would be jumping around, running in circles, spamming AoE abilities, and talking trash in chat. No PvPer is just going to stand there and patiently wait for a flag.

Let the GMs sort it out. This is part of their job.
  • e.gamemarkb14_ESO
    e.gamemarkb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is the best idea for anything i have heard on these forums. A simple dueling command that if not answered in 1-2 minutes is automatically accepted.

Anything like this or what the OP suggested simply will not work. You leave things open to potential griefing, as there will always be players who would abuse these kind things. It's why all MMO's have an ongoing battle with bots.

There is no dueling in ESO and even if there was, many players would simply choose to select "auto decline" which is a feature most games have that offer dueling.

If you believe someone is a bot, F1, report them, and move on.
  • Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    If you believe someone is a bot, F1, report them, and move on.

We would, but half of the time, it is impossible. Now they fly, and multibox. A more agressive measure has to be taken. A CD timer longer than an idle/disconnection with a single invite per hour will work as an anti abuse... If anyone wants to follow me for one hour to invite me to duel, well, good on them :).
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    This is how they should test for BOTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc9ezAyJv0
    Edited by jesterstear on May 13, 2014 7:12AM
  • EliteZ
    EliteZ
    ✭✭✭
    And what happens when a character is afk, is he now a bot and you can freely kill them? So we'd have people going around purposely challenging everyone in the hope that they get no reply to simply kill low lvl characters. I'm sure they'd also be able to figure away around this, when you challenge one, then relog. How likely are people going to stand around for an hour waiting to kill 4 bots as each will have a 15 minute timer. How about people that will go round spamming everyone to challenge just to be annoying? Even then once you do kill the bot, they will simply use a soul gem to res and you'll back at square one. I spent maybe 30 minutes in a public dungeon once getting archer mobs to aoe kill about 5-8 bots, but made no difference, they ressed and carried on.

Sorry, but like most of the "this is how to resolve bots" it's a stupid idea. Zeni are working on it and tbf it's getter much better then it was at launch and will continue to get better over time.

No MMO has had no bots, most MMO's still have bots and gold farmers months and years after the game came out, look at WoW they still have bots and gold farmers 9 years after launch. You can NOT prevent bots, they are always going to be there. Zeni just have to continue to reduce the number of them until they are not recognised so easily and you don't see them everywhere you turn.
    Edited by EliteZ on May 13, 2014 7:23AM
  • Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    People, please read the posts...

The invite reply time would be longer than the AFK auto disconnect. Meaning, if you get disconnected, you obviously will not reply, and hence not be flagged.
  • Sacklunch
    Sacklunch
    ✭✭
    Where as I like the idea of players killing bots and this is at least out of the box thinking for a solution the simple fact of the matter is that the people behind the bots would simply turn off/block this in game. These guys can get online and play without even paying anything, teleport to wherever they want, auto detect nodes, mobs, crates, and chests, hell I've even seen a bot walk right through all the mobs in a dungeon without pulling any of them and go straight to the boss. This would not be a difficult piece of software for them to get around. We need live, thinking, self aware people in game with the ability to ban on contact. Spotting a bot is Very easy in game for a person.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would not affect them in the long run because they would know they are being killed in pvp invites and just add to the macro script "if invited to pvp, Value "No" "
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, gm hopping wont work either.

Two per zone, 24/7/365.

Done.
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see this idea popping on the forum often.
    Guys just join the pvp in Cyrodiil: there are no bots, and plenty of people to kill.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Squishy wrote: »
    @utzpretzels it would be an onscreen message, like "press E to gather" or a accept/deny group invite, not a chat message :smile:

It is also suggested that the keys needed to be pressed for the answers, be randomized everytime, making it impossible to script the correct answer :smile:

I dont see 95% of those and when I do catch it X to decline, always.
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    Not only am I fine with killing bots and taking their stuff, this also serves as a way to turn on dueling. Cutthroat high stakes 15 minute later duels, but it's better than nothing.