Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

To many skill points?

leandro.800ub17_ESO
leandro.800ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Do you thinks the game has to many skill point available?

As an RPG fan i like to think where to spend points and have that unique build, i fell like i can have all professions and trees maxed out in the game
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to write down many thoughts but... Is that really the thing you want to complain on? No, really?

I'm getting too old for this crap... go, kid, play as you want.
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    ElSlayer wrote: »
    I wanted to write down many thoughts but... Is that really the thing you want to complain on? No, really?

You're either an old, cranky fart who has been turned bitter by his age OR a massive troll. I agree with the OP by the way, being able to spec into almost everything is kind of silly.

Sanguine's Beta Tester

• Lisa
    Lisa
    ✭✭✭
    In other single player ES games I was able to atleast max out magic abilities, or fighting or thief. I am only level 11 with my current character, and I'm focusing on only a few abilties, just enough for my 6 skill slots. I'm putting most of my points towards crafting. I really don't feel overwhelmed by the number of skill points available. I'm not even close to unlocking every ability. Are you at veteran? Do we get skill points even after level 50? I'm really not sure how that works. But, if you make it to veteran, maybe you should be able to master more skills than my low level characters.
    Blessed are those who explore the unbeaten path...
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Too many skill points? Nope. Not at all.

Uniqueness is achieved through what you choose to use, not what you can potentially use.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I would say no, because, you might need them all to dump into crafting?
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • JosephChip
    JosephChip
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how people always complain about this game not being a true TES, and when it shows typical characteristics of TES games they complain about these too. TES games are teamparks with no choices where you can be everything you want at the same time. No difference here.
  • Ravvin
    Ravvin
    Soul Shriven
    If you want to restrict the skill lines that you can progress in, go right ahead. Nobody is forcing you to spend those points. If that's how you want to play, then play that way, but don't try limiting things for other people.
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    Well for one, those skill points take time to obtain...Cyrodill by itself would probably take minimum of 5 hours if you do not run into enemy players or get killed by mobs...Than there are some where you have to do quests to obtain them...Which can be quite time consuming considering some of the requirements and so on and forth...To obtain all 300 or so skill points you would have to be at the minimum VR5 and that can take a while if you don't rush through the game or have a life.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    At low levels yes its hard to have many skill points but at VR1 i have like 150 skill points so whats the point on trying to sell crafted stuff if anyone or almost all will have that skill line maxed out
    I mean don't block the things you can chose from (that's great) put do limit the amount of skill point.
    In 2 or 3 months when all are in VR stage you wont profit from professions you will just make them for yourself
    I my case i can have 3 or 4 professions and still can max class skills world skills and 2 weapons skills (its a bit too much i think)
  • smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth would you want less skill points. I'm a crafter, still have 16 points I'd like to spend on crafts, and I would like to be able to have a viable build as well thank you.

I don't have enough skillpoints at the moment (and I have a lot) for the passives in bow and destro staff and a few other abilities I plan to get.

If you decide to craft, you still have to level the skill up, it's not just handed to you. It's like a friend was complaining to me the other day that there were too many options skill wise.

ffs just don't use the skillpoints or take advantage of the options.
    Dear Sister, I do not spread rumors, I create them.
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually worry all the time if I'll have enough skill points for what I really want and often stop myself from putting points into trying new skills. Now that I have confirmation that there will be plenty of points ahead, I'll pick up a bow and play around with it to see if I like it. If I don't, I won't have to pay a huge amount of gold later to re-spec.

TL;DR: No, I don't think it's too much. I like being able to test and experiment with different weapons and skill lines even if I decide not to go with it.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the easily obtainable 200 skill points (max is 300 i think) do the math you can almost max out every skill line
  • Lisa
    Lisa
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so! I want my character to be a god among women! :smiley:
    Blessed are those who explore the unbeaten path...
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the easily obtainable 200 skill points (max is 300 i think) do the math you can almost max out every skill line

I have about 210 skill points at the moment and still don't have enough. It might be OK if you don't want to do any crafting, but I started using skill points fast once I got into more than 1 crafting discipline.

You need to keep in mind that you're not just using skill points for 1 build. I have different builds for solo PvE, group PvE, VR dungeons, solo PvP, and group PvP.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you consider multiple builds in same character (thing that true inst popular in other mmo) then yes the amount of skills is large

I mean with 227 points you can do:
    -All passives and all skills on 3 class skills
    -All all passives on 2 Armor types
    -3 Ultimates maxed
    -2 Skills per Weapon+ All passives on 2 Weapon Skills
    -All Skills and Passives on Word Skill
    -2 Skills + All passives on 1 Guild
    -All passives 1 Skill on 2 Alliance War Skills
    -All racial Passives
    -3 Maxed out Professions
  • smokes
    smokes
    ✭✭✭
    ElSlayer wrote: »

You're either an old, cranky fart who has been turned bitter by his age OR a massive troll. I agree with the OP by the way, being able to spec into almost everything is kind of silly.

it's not that silly...

different skills/abilities/weapons/gear for different occasions

i like being able to smash face with a 2H, i also have a bow as a second weapon - so naturally, i'm specced into medium armor and stamina. however, in some situations, i'd like to go caster/healer or even tank - but seeing as it costs 100gold per skill point to respec, i'm not looking forward to spending 13000g on a skillpoint reset, to then also need to craft a full new set of gear, enchant it etc etc

being able to save up those resources - i.e. gold and gear, then easily be able to switch to a given playstyle without having to respec (by having extra skillpoints in light and heavy armor, as well as different weapon types) makes picking up another role for a group much easier, or picking up a different playstyle for a particular boss instead of just weapon swapping.

there is benefits to it - but it also diminishes the replay value of alts. as i will likely only level 1 alt of each class max.

but for a player who only plays 1 character, it's awesome to have all the options open. besides which, levelling up all the crafting professions to max uses a lot of skillpoints.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

As an RPG fan i like to think where to spend points and have that unique build, i fell like i can have all professions and trees maxed out in the game
    ... and the problem is... what?

Look. You only have the skills that you slot and your passives. I doubt anyone thinks five skills swappable with five other skills, plus your ultimates, plus your heavy and light attacks are too many.

But you really mean 'too many options', right? Like you are complaining there is too much variety and it is so hard to pick out what you want. Like Imelda Marcos complaining she cannot decide which of her thousand pair of shoes she wants to wear.

You should spend some time having no choice to make so that you appreciate the array of potentials, rather than complaining of what amounts to your freedom.

Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you don't read well the post. Its not the amount of options or freedom that i speak of but the amount of points to spend on all that freedom. Just enough (i would say 150-200 total)
    The down side would be to low the cost of skill reset .
    I know this cant be implemented its just a post for opinions.
    Edited by leandro.800ub17_ESO on May 8, 2014 3:23PM
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭

I would have to guess you are are not a NB and you must not have all of your passives filled. Not only that but the fighters guild passives along with your class/weapon and race passives take up a huge chunk. With both my ST and AoE specs built passives included with no crafting I have used around 122 skill points.
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭

Really? Is this something that bothers you?

DO you have all the professions and trees maxed out? Do you have every single skill point in the game, and can you demonstrate how we have too many skill points?

Because until you do... your feelings are creating problems you can't prove exist.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just use any skill calculator on the web and you will see.
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    Gamers that might not be long time Elder Scrolls followers and those that are maybe didn't take into consideration that we still have the Thieves Guild,
    >:) /spoiler on...among 'others'.../spoiler off >:)(intentional)
    (can't crack all the eggs in the basket all at once :p )
    coming up in later content releases and that will be necessary to have these "extra points" available to use for such things.
    Rack em up now, spend them later on down the road. ;)

Edited by Gwarok on May 8, 2014 4:12PM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    True if new content comes and no skill points are added then it might become balance
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It allows for experimentation with different builds without having to constantly waste gold on respecs.
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills

Max Out:
    Class Skills - 60 points
    Armor Skills - 39 Points
    Weapon Skills - 120 Points
    World Skills - 41 points
    Guild SKills - 47 Points
    Alliance War Skills - 29 points
    Racial Skills - 9 Points
    Crafting - 137 points

Minus what you get in the beginning, I'm showing that a player needs 473 skill points to max everything out.

I'm confident we don't get 473 skill points in the game... 273/275 seems more likely. Maybe closer to 200?

Which means you can only max out half of the skills in the game.

But someone needs to get all the skill points available so we can find out.
    Edited by liquid_wolf on May 8, 2014 4:03PM
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    @liquid_wolf
    Personally, I don't see the 'need' and will only lead to potential "OP"(ness)

More points will be given to us,
    (possible example):
    Patch note: "We have increased everyone's maxed current points to X (and the kool thing is you don't "have to earn them")
    in future patches. Again, preventing all the eggs from being cracked all at once.

*/cue suspenseful music rift* Dun,dun,duuuuunnnn! B)
    Edited by Gwarok on May 8, 2014 5:00PM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• vince131nub18_ESO
    If you consider multiple builds in same character (thing that true inst popular in other mmo) then yes the amount of skills is large

I mean with 227 points you can do:
    -All passives and all skills on 3 class skills
    -All all passives on 2 Armor types
    -3 Ultimates maxed
    -2 Skills per Weapon+ All passives on 2 Weapon Skills
    -All Skills and Passives on Word Skill
    -2 Skills + All passives on 1 Guild
    -All passives 1 Skill on 2 Alliance War Skills
    -All racial Passives
    -3 Maxed out Professions

73 unspent points
    There is no safty to be found in a sword. a sword brings death. it does not give life. it is a responsibility... a burden... this is no gift. it is a curse. i hope one day... you will forgive me.
  • vince131nub18_ESO

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills

Max Out:
    Class Skills - 60 points
    Armor Skills - 39 Points
    Weapon Skills - 120 Points
    World Skills - 41 points
    Guild SKills - 47 Points
    Alliance War Skills - 29 points
    Racial Skills - 9 Points
    Crafting - 137 points

Minus what you get in the beginning, I'm showing that a player needs 473 skill points to max everything out.

I'm confident we don't get 473 skill points in the game... 273/275 seems more likely. Maybe closer to 200?

Which means you can only max out half of the skills in the game.

300 skill points in the game ATM
    There is no safty to be found in a sword. a sword brings death. it does not give life. it is a responsibility... a burden... this is no gift. it is a curse. i hope one day... you will forgive me.
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of Skill Points, I just don't think there are enough skills, but seeing as we can level up morphed abilities to IV that leads me to believe they have more morph ideas for the future on top of existing morphs, or atleast I hope so.
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey