The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Should i buy Gold from third party sites?

carlos.trevisan.contatonrb19_ESO

ive come to this game because i read on a developer post that"One of the core philosophies of The Elder Scrolls Online is to allow you to play the way you want" well, this isnt whats happening.

Im having serious money problem in the game.
Not sure what kind of players the developers where aiming when they made so costly game but its ruining my gameplay, a casual gameplay.
Im having major issues on:
*character inventory size;
*bank inventory size;
*repair builds;
*mount prices;

and all costs that involves these.

ive 7 characters on my account, 5 of them are mules. ive made them because its much cheaper than upgrade my bank slots to hold all my mats for crafting. this doesnt feel right. the crafting system should be something natural and the game should have natural mechanics that
allow me to store them. Ive start to hold craft materials for my chars, but there are so many materials and so little space that i end up without any space in every 20 minutes of gameplay. Then i start to destroy the items that ive collected to free more space. this doesnt feel right. its ok to end up without space after long runs, but in every quest i ended up without space.

ive started the provisioning crafting system, and was very very fun at begining. But now its a nightmare store all those items, i never know if i will need this or that new ingredient that ive just found and never know if i should just drop it to get space those boots that just droped too. The prices for improving my characters inventory or the bank just goes to stratosferic prices, at least on my actual gameplay, this doesnt feel natural. my need for space its far (read: far, far, far, far, far, far....) superior then what i have. And the money income cant get any closer of what i need to buy more space. so i droped provisioning crafting for sake of space.

i have blacksmithing and woodworking crafts too. And i loved the idea of making yout oun gear, in the shape and with the traits that i want, i thought "this is the way i want to play"... no its not. To improve my crafting skill levels and to gain those very rare materials for upgrades i need broken almost all items that i got (except for those with a X% gold selling, i end up just broken everything else). whats the problem? ive ended up with almost no money since i broke my loot and without space on bank and in ventory since i need store my mats. This is getting so annoying that its affecting my gameplay, all the time.

And the repair gear prices. They are getting too high as im leveling up. ive reading so many posts about people that just let the gear broke and just craft new one, and even people that go for quests naked due to repair costs. this is working as intended? how we supose to deal with this? its some idea brought from a Fallout 3 developer? because in a game that so many players go play nude due to repair costs, its just...

I have the imperial edition, and the horse that comes with it. but ive seen the prices for the fasters mounts on the barn and its just too high. Maybe the Zenimax intention was to make people buy they horse on the real money store, so i wont coment much about this, but with the price of the horse the way it is and the repair and space slots costs no way i can aford that one.

so, ive ended up with all these money sinks on the game, crushing, squeezing my gameplay, and ive ended up thinking: the way that the thing is going i will need to make some ingame money, and for the first time in all my MMO experience i start to think: "should i buy gold from third party sellers?"
not sure what the Zenimax intention when they make so many expensive upgrades and so little money income, but im really frustrade with the actual way the game is and start to have some real bad ideas, like going to these third party gold sellers (that spams me every time i log on)

I think that the developers team should take more consideration on theirs money sinks, a player souldnt drop a craft system because he is out of space, because its ruining the casual gameplay and actualy pushing people to the wrong way.

sorry for wall of text. sorry for mispelling, english its not my native language
  • deamor666eb17_ESO
    deamor666eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My character is VR 1.
    I've bought 3 bank upgrades, 3 bag space upgrades, both a cheap and an expensive horse and I've been feeding my horse daily since I bought it.

And right now my character has about 15000 gold and gaining more all the time doing quests.

I don't see any problem.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise buying gold from a third party site is a perma ban right?

I guess the close hammer will be hitting this post soon.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Spryt
    Spryt
    ✭✭
    A tip for crafting is to not keep everything. Crafting is done in tiers so if you mainly craft for yourself there is just no need to keep 10 stacks of low level wood and ore you wont use. If you should need it later it's not hard to gather a bit more. I usually keep 1 stack of each wood and sell the rest after I refine it. You can actually make quite nice money from selling refined wood/ore to merchant.

When it comes to provisioning it's same deal. Don't save everything. As you can only use 1 type of food or drink at a time decide what kind you want to use. Maybe choose 2-3 different recipies you have and then write down (or get a addon) to help you choose what to pick up/save. For the rest you can just make random stuff and sell. Again good way to make money.

I agree repair costs are high. I think they are looking at this.

Not sure what level you are but I could affored the most exensive horse around 35-40 something. Didn't really farm for it. Just from normal gameplay and selling crafting stuff and trash gear to npc.

Buying gold will just ruin your own experiance more. More people that buy gold the more bots you will see.
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of money sinks in the game at the start.

It's also really horrible to gain gold in Cyradiil.
    You won't be able to afford a Horse or Bank upgrades and Inventory upgrades.

Basically just PVE till your eyes and fingers bleed, and you should have no problems with gold.
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    couple of things:

- Don't store all the random materials you find; only store the ones you're going to use; either vendor the rest or post it on guild stores... or just don't harvest them (I stopped harvesting alchemy and provisioning because basicly they cluttered up my inventory while I didn't really use them; normal potions drop in droves especially from dungeon bosses and I don't use any others; provisioning I just buy a stack of purple items every so often)

- I don't see any real reason to buy a more expensive horse tbh; I rarely ride my horse and pretty much only upgrade it in carrying capacity (I do have the imperial edition horse too).

- I don't understand how you can have a filled up inventory in such a short time; I am lvl 49 on my main with a 94 slot backpack and I can go adventuring for reasonable stretches of time without filling up my inventory completely.

- I'm sitting at 49k gold on my main character mostly by harvesting wood / ores / leather / cloth, refining them and vendoring the sanded wood / ingots which are below my equipment level

- And lastly don't buy gold from a 3rd party site; don't encourage the bots; if you do I honestly hope you get caught and perma banned.

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am VR1 and have bought 1 bank and 1 inventory space. I only use money to repair. I still have 25k left. I have the imperial horse which i feed apples everyday. even if i had to buy a mounth i would still have about 20k left.

Don't see how somoene could not have money. Unless they keep buying stuff from the guildstores. Also i don't understand the inventoryspace and bankspace issues. I have 30/70 on both. I only save those ingredients for alchemy and provisioning i really use.
    Edited by Knootewoot on May 7, 2014 7:51AM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    I have 150 inventory 140 bank, respect 4 times and I still have over 60k. I don't see what's so hard about getting in-game money, I don't even try.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    Please provide a single link to a single statement by ZOS that this is true.

I asked them explicitly on here if they banned buyers and they refused to answer. Their one and only post some weeks ago about bot and spammer bans noticeably did NOT mention any BUYER bans.

Right now there is zero evidence there is any punishment for feeding RMT.

• Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Mortelus wrote: »
    Please provide a single link to a single statement by ZOS that this is true.

I asked them explicitly on here if they banned buyers and they refused to answer. Their one and only post some weeks ago about bot and spammer bans noticeably did NOT mention any BUYER bans.

Right now there is zero evidence there is any punishment for feeding RMT.

I hope its on the ToS.
    Do you mean they are not even trying to ban buyers? They are the first cause of the existance of sellers :|

Edited by Gisgo on May 7, 2014 9:45AM
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am having serious money problems in real life, should i go rob a bank?
    Or is the *** gov doing something about it?
  • IronMaiden_burnout
    IronMaiden_burnout
    ✭✭✭
    RangerChad wrote: »
    I have 150 inventory 140 bank, respect 4 times and I still have over 60k. I don't see what's so hard about getting in-game money, I
    don't even try.

Do you leach from a guild? its nice you have all that cash but us casual solo / duo players are not so fortunate, and at times online gold does look tempting, especially since bots are invading the world making it hard to harvest anywhere now.
    The zone market is badly inflated to the point that it is unrealistic for a casual player to buy anything.

• ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    *character inventory size;
    *bank inventory size;
    Limited inventory and bank space is intended to restrict ONE ACCOUNT from leveling ALL crafting profeissons in a SHORT time. That is also one of reasons why
    there is single bank per account.
    Live Q&A With Paul Sage Compiled Answers

Kytula said:
    I love the fact that you can leave items in your bank and still use them for crafting. My concern is, I guess I horde to much of everything since I’m crafting everything, and run out of space really really quick. Is there away to fix this, or should i simple just keep selling my mats and make low level items to makes space?

Paul Sage:
    I would say you are going to have to make some choices about what you keep and what you don’t. Bank space / inventory space is another limiter to being able to work on all crafting skills at once. It isn’t impossible, it is just harder if that is what you choose to do. There’s also a TV show about your “problem.”

Read more on TESO Elite: http://www.tesoelite.com/2014/03/live-qa-paul-sage-compiled-answers/#ixzz311Unk6uO
    *repair builds;
    Most of repair costs comes from gear decay on death. Death should be penalized.
    *mount prices;
    There should be gold sinks in economy. Tough to achieve things makes game interesting as you feel greatly rewarded when you finally get them. That is why BEST horse prices are somewhat high.
    I have the imperial edition, and the horse that comes with it.
    If you want more, try to spend your time on working harder instead of whining on forums.
    Edited by ElSlayer on May 7, 2014 10:12AM
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭

"SHOULD I BUY GOLD FROM THIRD PARTY SITES?"

Er... No.
    I lyke not this quill.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People buying gold from third-party sites is what is keeping the bot problem so prominent. While ever there's a market of fools buying from them, they will infest our games.

Not only that, but quite often the whole thing is a scam designed to get your CC or game account details.

The real players are sick of bots in this game. Don't encourage them.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Aballister
    Aballister
    ✭✭✭
    tbh, given the subject, I'm surprised the thread is still open.
    Dark Elf Sorc(AD)
  • Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Repair costs is a joke, I agree on that one. My alt had a 1k repair cost, and it was therefore easier just to make new gear and enchant it rather than repair it. I know they are looking into that one so they are aware of the issue at hand.

In terms of getting gold, I have 110 inventory slot and 90 bank space slot, I have 41% mount speed (and the 10 inventory slots), I've changed attribute points once which costed me 4900 gold as well as purchasing some Turpen that I couldn't get from deconstruction. I have now 35k gold, I've been down to 5k and managed to get hold of 30k in the course of a couple of veteran levels.

I don't think gold is any problem at all in this game. However, you're not suppose to have every craft and profession that easily. I've maxed out clothing and woodworking and I'm currently trying to level up enchanting. I now have an Argonian mule to store my runes because I realize that it wasn't possible to store all the runes as well. These are the limitations of the game.

Playing as you want doesn't mean 100% freedom. Playing as you want means doing what you want within the game's parameters. Naturally there will be a few limitations, but the limitations in ESO is small and you have more or less 95% freedom to do what you want. Yet some get stuck on the 5% and doesn't see the 95%.
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 42k horse, ALL motifs, all bank and inventory space and i curently have 64k gold and i'm not even trying hard cuz i'm not am elitist. getting gold im this game is too eezee imo.
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have 150 inventory 140 bank, respect 4 times and I still have over 60k. I don't see what's so hard about getting in-game money, I
    don't even try.

Do you leach from a guild? its nice you have all that cash but us casual solo / duo players are not so fortunate, and at times online gold does look tempting, especially since bots are invading the world making it hard to harvest anywhere now.
    The zone market is badly inflated to the point that it is unrealistic for a casual player to buy anything.

US casual solo?

Because i am a casual solo player (except in PvP and group dungeons). I am in a guild but instead of taking stuff i hand out free potions and foods. I don't even try to make money and have 25k. There is hardly use for it except feeding the horse.

Every account who buys gold or powerlevels from a third party should be permabanned.

Also, gold should be low on players because the rich players would inflate every price. Rich will buy and poor stay poor. I had billions of credits in SWG and tons of Platinum in Vanguard. Being rich was not fun because you just buy everything without doing any effort. And the "poor" people could not even buy a simple thing because the rich merchants charged to much because they knew a rich player would buy it eventually.
    Edited by Knootewoot on May 7, 2014 11:04AM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you should buy gold from third party sites and post here how that worked out for you .With screenshots.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • AVCN
    AVCN
    ✭✭
    Do. Not. Incentive. Botmasters.
    Do. Not. Buy.Stuff. from. Them.
  • Creepsley
    Creepsley
    ✭✭✭
    got 100 slot bank and 90 bag on 3 characters and got a expensive horse, quite broke right now but its not that hard to get cash when the only thing you spend it on is horse training and repairs :P
  • kitchenguy65_ESO
    kitchenguy65_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If getting your CC number stolen and used to create more bot and farming accounts is your prerogative, then by all means, do it.
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    Selstad wrote: »
    you have more or less 95% freedom to do what you want.
    I like that. 95% of freedom.

@d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • Shimizu
    Shimizu
    ✭✭
    Most of repair costs comes from gear decay on death. Death should be penalized.
    Wrong. The gear repairs are off the hook, an hour of play with no deaths and my entire armor set is junk.

There is some validity to what the op is saying. Buying from botters isn't the answer, but the amount of cash sinks especially at the low level end is a bit over the top. The inventory limits, bank limits, limited market, makes gameplay very frustrating. And I'm not talking about people who are trying to do all tradeskills who would understandably have a problem, its difficult to even do two.

I'm VR4 and have spent almost every cent I've earned exclusively on upgrading bag space and bank space to 130 (via horse)/140 slots. My bank is sitting on full just full of trait crap and basic materials for TWO crafts, and only in the tier I'm on. Of course there's also all those public dungeon trophies. (Did they really intend you to click it once and destroy it?) Seems a shame to just junk them. And pre order pets. And treasure maps for zones I can't get to yet (at least this is finally depleting!).

While there are plenty of people who will come onto the forums and say how they have no problem with the inventory or the economy or the shopping and that everything's perfect, I think they are very shortsighted with regards to differing gameplay styles and a reasonable expectation for a AAA game such as this.

Yes, you can deal with it, you can work around it, you can spend hours playing tetris with your mats trying to cram them all somewhere, but it isn't fun, it isn't immersive, and judging by the hundreds of people who have a problem with it, its a serious issue that needs to be looked at.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character is VR 1.
    I've bought 3 bank upgrades, 3 bag space upgrades, both a cheap and an expensive horse and I've been feeding my horse daily since I bought it.

And right now my character has about 15000 gold and gaining more all the time doing quests.

I don't see any problem.

Very similar experience here. I'm also VR1, and 50 Blacksmith / 50 Provisioner. I have 2 cheap horses and 1 expensive horse. I feed all 3 of them daily. I carry stacks of every fishing bait, still carry CE treasure maps, carry several stacks of potions & around 15 stacks of ore & ingots. I don't have bank slots or backpack maxed out & still go adventuring with 80 empty slots, despite carrying samples of food & drink that I link in chat to sell. That's more than enough for hours of adventuring & looting.

I also have 28k right now on my main, and another 20k on an alt, since he doesn't have to spend gold on bank upgrades. I have 8 characters, including a Clothier / Woodworker & NONE of them are mule characters.

Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • carlos.trevisan.contatonrb19_ESO
    Shimizu wrote: »
    [...]
    My bank is sitting on full just full of trait crap and basic materials for TWO crafts, and only in the tier I'm on. Of course there's also all those public dungeon trophies. (Did they really intend you to click it once and destroy it?) Seems a shame to just junk them. And pre order pets. And treasure maps for zones I can't get to yet (at least this is finally depleting!).

While there are plenty of people who will come onto the forums and say how they have no problem with the inventory or the economy or the shopping and that everything's perfect, I think they are very shortsighted with regards to differing gameplay styles and a reasonable expectation for a AAA game such as this.

Yes, you can deal with it, you can work around it, you can spend hours playing tetris with your mats trying to cram them all somewhere, but it isn't fun, it isn't immersive, and judging by the hundreds of people who have a problem with it, its a serious issue that needs to be looked at.

This is what im talking about. There are so many items that i almost havent space for loot. I have saved my desguises, my trophys, my pets (a monkey and two crabs), a lot of treasure maps, i have some runes and this or that cool item. And bam. Youre out of space. The stash could at least come with 8 pages, one per char.

And what many vet players forgot its that many had farmed dungeon bosses ad nauseum, gaining a very good gold income in the begiming, as ive seen on first game days.
    Ive put this title to the thread to bring the subject to discussion.

Of course buying gold from third party sites isnt a good thing, and shouldnt be encouraged. But i did want to bring a light over it because when a game mechanics pushes too hard people start to exploit bugs and other means (like buying gold, exploiting dungeon boss drops, like vet rankers using xp spots, vampire pre nerfs, shield bashers, motif farmers...) to make the life easer.
    What i want to bring its that, at least for me, the money sinks are too harsh, and are slowing my gameplay.

Ive read a good tips here too. Maybe ill just drop the crafting then, and start to sell my ingots and worked wood, clothing.
    On SWTOR ive read a lot of guides before start crafting, and many of them even disencourage it until you reach certaing money amount. Maybe i should do the same here.
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    don't even try.

I play solo, I never been part of a guild. I only get help from my roommate when we go do zone dungeons or public dungeons. Other than that, I just farm materials and sell my goods to people and NPCs. I am also very casual, I am just biding my time leveling up at my own pace and giving devs more time to throw more stuff at me. I have found 2 bot free farming strips so far that I regularly farm.

• drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    In short; crafting is done in tiers. Only keep the materials from the tier you're working on right now. Easy peasy.
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance