The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Is this PVP even close to being fair?

DennisRoane
I usually pvp in the mmo's that I have played, but when I went to pvp in this game, I noticed that all levels are on the same playing field. Now I have been told by others playing the game that it has been synched so that if you are not a Veteran rank yet, you will still be able to compete against Veteran ranks. Is this even true? I'm not the best game player in the world, but I am usually able to hold my own 1v1, but I found that I could not compete here, albeit I was lvl 31 at the time. Anyone else finding the pvp drastically unbalanced?
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    Well it depends on who you come up against, you won't be able to 1v1 a VR10 or even a VR5 for that matter because its likely they have better gear/ much more skill points and time invested in their character. So basically, at lower levels you should stick with the group or fight people around your level. You can at least damage some of the more powerful players but no way can you 1v1 them and expect to win.
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grab yourself a posse and jump in the war and have a great time. You gain reward based off of contributing to the war effort. You just need a guild that regularly does the pvp campaign. It's a blast and the rewards are great! You get items auto mailed to you, you can buy mat and gear too at merchants with alliance points. NO gear damage so its basically win win in this pvp. I die alot but as I get better I'm starting to kill alot more too. Of course levels make some difference, gear makes some difference, but mostly skill makes the big difference.

Like I said you need to ride with a good guild that pvps to get the most out of it. Number 1 rule is do not ride alone, take some buddies and take some grand soul gems for rezzes.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is a teamgame, so go with a team. You should have much fun then. At lvl 30's you cannot beat a V1-10 in a 1 vs 1 duel. For me, the PvP has been fun all the time from lvl 15 to V1 which i am now. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I haven't even finished the mainquest yet simply because i love the PvP. (although the gain of xp, money and rewards are minimal here, the thrill of defending and attacking a keep or trying to control a farm are very rewarding).
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a team, yes.

You won't win a fight 1 on 1 against VR ranks (unless they are bad ... and there are quite a few terrible players so you actually might win a few)....

But it's a safer bet to use a destro/resto staff or a bow and fight from range.

Leave the melee to those that have a high chance of surviving.
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭
    What do you call fair ?

I don't think it's fair a low level win a 1v1 situation against a VR or high level player. (unless they are really bad)
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp in this game is a team effort. It's not a one on one who is better. The balance is around siege warfare.
    Edited by Alurria on May 7, 2014 11:07AM
  • sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    It is not fair in 1v1 by any means. I do like 5% of damage with heavy attack with resto staff, yet i receive like 90% dmg in return...

As was said you need to stick with a group. But I tell you straight if you encounter vr10 you could get killed even if you have another player with you (low level). I go to cyrodiil only to do daily kill quest. I will stay in cyrodiil once I beat the game's PVE and reach veteran ranks. Then I will enjoy PVP in all it's beauty.

Really looking forward to it .
  • AVCN
    AVCN
    ✭✭
    1 vs 1 against a VR10 you are toast. Been there, seen that.One of them hunted me while I was derping around. So, lesson no 2 learned. Don't derp around.

For as long as my toon is not a vet, I shall walk in a zerg flock... I am at peace with my inner zerg.
  • Katkon
    Katkon
    ✭✭✭
    I recently hit VR1 and my survivability GREATLY improved - my armor basically doubled, and I saw big boosts to all my attributes, especially health. So even as a lowly VR1 a sub-VR1 will have a challenge on his/her hands. Doesn't mean that I wasn't successful below VR1 - I still did pretty well, but I'm now much more prone to charging head first into a fight and a lot less reliant on groups to survive.

Pre-VR1 here's what worked for me: I put ALL my attributes into health and relied on all magicka (or stamina) to come from weapon/armor enchantments. Just buy those from an enchanter in town every time you upgrade your armor, and you'll have everything you need. No point in sacrificing health/survivability for those IMO.

Also, your build is so much more important for survivability in PvP vs PvE. I respecced twice early on, as I realized that what works well in PvE often doesn't work in PvP. However, what works well (for me) in PvP works amazingly well in PvE.

I do play a sword/board DK in heavy armor, so can automatically take a ton of damage. However, from a skills perspective I just made sure that I had good crowd control, AoE, gap closer, single target and health regen skills on my skill bar. Plus of course a heavy damage dealing ultimate for the "oh sh!t" moments. The gap closer for me is critical as human targets tend to move around/run around a lot more than NPCs. Crowd controls is also incredibly important for the same reason - once I reach them, I need them to stay in place. My gap closer and crowd control abilities stun/immobilize/disorient enemies which is important to slow them down and keep them in place, and limit incoming damage. The mistake I made early on - with my PvE build - was to populate my skill bar with largely single target damage capabilities - simply doesn't work in PvP as targets don't stand still and tend to move A LOT faster than me in heavy armor.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a PvP expert, but I can certainly hold my own and do pretty well. This is despite normally hating PvP and avoiding it like the pest (am more of a PvEer at heart).

Good luck!

Edit: one more tip - I realized early on that a stamina-based build is completely unviable. Stamina is required for sprinting, dodging, stealthing and seems to be consumed at roughly the same clip irrespective of many attribute points you put into it (not true - exaggerating for effect). I found that reserving my stamina for 1 skill on my skill bar (literally) and using magicka for CC, AoE, healing and single target attacks beyond the weapons was the way to go. So 100% of my enchantments are magicka. That seems to help both with health regen/survivability and gives me two solid pools from which to deal damage.
    Edited by Katkon on May 7, 2014 12:37PM