Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

vampire fire damage & resists

Tharvall
Tharvall
✭✭✭
even with the bug fixes and nerfs I still don't have the impression that being a vampire has any downsides....

groups in pvp are specifically looking for vampires - how can this be a good thing? you can really be proud, zenimax.

and even after the changes in 1.1 vampires will still be superior in pvp and everyone who chooses not to become a vampire will be 2nd class.

or maybe your awesome "alliance vs alliance" will eventually become "vampires vs vampires".....

why not make the downside of being a vampire really painful?

fire damage is nice, but giving vampires a flat 0% fire resistance would make it really hurt, as it should.

vampires should be the exception ... maybe a couple out of 100 players. everything else is boring, monotone ***
  • Anzaman
    Anzaman
    ✭✭✭
    And in my opinion all three should be more or less equal.

Increased fire damage is already quite insane, at least in PvE, and most of the mobs are able to one-shot you if you don't pop any defensive abilities against it (or stack fire resistance).

Even today when I was in Cyrodiil, most of the Vampires I encountered were killed almost instantly after their Mist Form was over. Maybe you should try to slow them down and bash the effect off.
    Nilene Nightsky - Healer Warden
    Niomia Nightsky - Stamina Nightblade
    Ebonheart Pact (EU) Veteran: 10 - CP: 101
  • Noth
    Noth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anzaman wrote: »

Increased fire damage is already quite insane, at least in PvE, and most of the mobs are able to one-shot you if you don't pop any defensive abilities against it (or stack fire resistance).

Even today when I was in Cyrodiil, most of the Vampires I encountered were killed almost instantly after their Mist Form was over. Maybe you should try to slow them down and bash the effect off.

Yet, you are only gimping yourself for not being a Vampire in PvE. The fire resist is so easily countered it is barely a downside. Vampire wasn't meant to be an upgrade, but a side grade. It is largely an upgrade, thus you see so many, and there is no reason not to carry anti vampire abilities as the number of vampires is so high.
  • Tharvall
    Tharvall
    ✭✭✭

killing vampires is not the problem (unless it is some op sorc/vamp exploit combo). the problem is that being a vampire gives so much advantages and almost no downside that more and more people are becoming vamps now.

when i bought the game i was not aware that it would be a [snip] vampire freakshow.
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on March 9, 2018 10:00PM
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    working on getting at least 2 of my jewelry the purple 1000% fire resistance glyphs on erm, im not a pvp player by the way, so pls no hate :)
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just because you do not like vampires or our skills does not mean there needs to be evil and bad things happen to our skill line and damage to us.
  • Noth
    Noth
    ✭✭✭✭
    just because you do not like vampires or our skills does not mean there needs to be evil and bad things happen to our skill line and damage to us.

And just because you like vampire does not mean that they are not pretty much a straight upgrade (something they were never meant to be). Even after the nerfs, your skills will still be stronger and cheaper than most skills in the game. You'll still have the largest reduction in spell and ultimate costs in the game. You'll still have easily negated downsides, and you'll still have probably the best sustain skill in the game. You'll still be in better shape than many other skill lines.
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blah blah blah I PvP and I don't feel competitive unless I become a vampire but I don't want to become a vampire and so I think they should be nerfed to pieces.

No, they're already being nerfed. I hate PvE nerfs due to PvP.. I'm rocking a vampire sorcerer and I still get completely wrecked by enough fire damage despite having a lowbie ring on (bloody scamps!), I like 2 of the passives and feel the trade off is worth it so I infected my character. If you don't want to be a vampire but still feel the need to want them nerfed into oblivion stop, they'll be nerfed soon and if you're a smart cookie using a few fighter's guild spells might actually prove useful this time around.
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noth wrote: »

Yet, you are only gimping yourself for not being a Vampire in PvE. The fire resist is so easily countered it is barely a downside. Vampire wasn't meant to be an upgrade, but a side grade. It is largely an upgrade, thus you see so many, and there is no reason not to carry anti vampire abilities as the number of vampires is so high.
    Actually being a vampire or werewolf was supposed to be a upgrade at the cost of a weakness. Werewolves and vampires were never a side grade in Elder Scrolls. Throughout the Elder Scrolls series vampires and werewolves were given immense power but balanced by making them more vulnerable to a certain attack.
    If vampires and werewolves are intended to only be a side grade then the game is on a dangerous path because it neglects fun gameplay.
  • Thevenin
    Thevenin
    ✭✭
    Even today when I was in Cyrodiil, most of the Vampires I encountered were killed almost instantly after their Mist Form was over.

Oh, they were killed really fast by the 30+ people they were trolling around with Mist Form for 3 minutes ?
    How very outrageous ! Buff vampires !
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thevenin wrote: »
    Even today when I was in Cyrodiil, most of the Vampires I encountered were killed almost instantly after their Mist Form was over.

Oh, they were killed really fast by the 30+ people they were trolling around with Mist Form for 3 minutes ?
    Indeed, how dare it take 30 people to kill one vampire. Obviously vampires are under performing, more so than werewolves, so they deserve a major buff!
  • Noth
    Noth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noth wrote: »

Actually being a vampire or werewolf was supposed to be a upgrade at the cost of a weakness. Werewolves and vampires were never a side grade in Elder Scrolls. Throughout the Elder Scrolls series vampires and werewolves were given immense power but balanced by making them more vulnerable to a certain attack.
    If vampires and werewolves are intended to only be a side grade then the game is on a dangerous path because it neglects fun gameplay.

Upgrade at the cost of a weakness is called a sidegrade, not an upgrade. The weaknesses of the vampire are so easily countered that the vampire is pretty much a pure upgrade. They were meant to be an option, not a must have (which is basically what vampires are now in pve), hence the weaknesses. Werewolves are just craptacular currently and aren't worth the skill points for more options.

Fun game play comes from options which don't come from upgrades. Upgrades are not options. Side grades are options. Currently Vamps are not an option as you are noticeably weaker as a non vamp.
    Edited by Noth on May 5, 2014 12:54AM
  • TheGrimaceOR
    TheGrimaceOR
    ✭✭
    I swear it will be a cold day in hell when people realize its not vampire skill line that is the problem, but how DK and Sorc class skills affect it with thier ultimate stacking. Give me a call when you see NB or temp Vampires wrecking the set. And for all people that say vampire has no weakness; how about you become one and go stick your toe in fire and see how that treats you. Even with max flame resist you are still taking an extra 25% fire damage and missing out on a very good enchant that could go to other things because as we all know jewel craft enchants are the best slot enchants in the game and the only slot fire resist can be put on. In short buff werewolves and put a hard cap on Ultimate reduction in game. Any ultimate would be overpowered that could be spammed endlessly; its just that bat swarm get the attention because its the only ultimate that heals the caster and does damage at the same time.
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I swear it will be a cold day in hell when people realize its not vampire skill line that is the problem, but how DK and Sorc class skills affect it with thier ultimate stacking. Give me a call when you see NB or temp Vampires wrecking the set. And for all people that say vampire has no weakness; how about you become one and go stick your toe in fire and see how that treats you. Even with max flame resist you are still taking an extra 25% fire damage and missing out on a very good enchant that could go to other things because as we all know jewel craft enchants are the best slot enchants in the game and the only slot fire resist can be put on. In short buff werewolves and put a hard cap on Ultimate reduction in game. Any ultimate would be overpowered that could be spammed endlessly; its just that bat swarm get the attention because its the only ultimate that heals the caster and does damage at the same time.
    No no no, your vampire abilities completely negate any weakness because you have a passive that decreases all damage taken by 50% when you get low on HP and you have an ability that decreases all damage taken by 75% and makes you elusive. Spell resistance reduces the fire weaknesses. Spell resistance+undeath passive+elusive mist= an invincible vampire.
  • TheGrimaceOR
    TheGrimaceOR
    ✭✭
    No no no, your vampire abilities completely negate any weakness because you have a passive that decreases all damage taken by 50% when you get low on HP and you have an ability that decreases all damage taken by 75% and makes you elusive. Spell resistance reduces the fire weaknesses. Spell resistance+undeath passive+elusive mist= an invincible vampire.

It doesn't kick in until after we are below 50% health and the damage reduction scales the lower we go, however most big fire damage will pop us before that point. As for elusive mist you can't cast any abilites at all when in that form, yes you could pop a ultimate before that but that goes back to needing an ultimate reduction hard cap so it can't be spammed. The bug of being able to get heal ticks while in mist form does need fixed. Not to mention 3/4 of the vampire passive don't even work most of the time due to the feeding stages bug. Spell resistance+undeath passive+elusive mist= a tough vampire for 4 seconds that can't attack and can only suck up damage. There are much better damage resist class skills and you can attack while using them. The only thing mist form is good for is a bolt escape or if you are a tank and took the other morph keeping up slight aoe damage while aborbing a big hit. If there was another ultimate in the game that healed and did damage we would not have this rampant crying against vampires. In 99.8% of the people complaining about vampires it is almost always a DK. Things with vampire need nerfed and fixed but the real problem is DK's and ultimate stacking.
    Edited by TheGrimaceOR on May 5, 2014 2:09AM
  • Anzaman
    Anzaman
    ✭✭✭
    Thevenin wrote: »
    Indeed, how dare it take 30 people to kill one vampire. Obviously vampires are under performing, more so than werewolves, so they deserve a major buff!
    I don't do mass PvP, I hunt down individual players around the Cyrodiil. And please, you can just bash the Mist Form off. Try it.

*Tip: Hold M2 down and press M1 next to him/her.
    Nilene Nightsky - Healer Warden
    Niomia Nightsky - Stamina Nightblade
    Ebonheart Pact (EU) Veteran: 10 - CP: 101