The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Dubah's official Templar build!!! The Combat Cleric!

Dubah
Dubah
✭✭✭
So I figured I would post my spec up, it has been VERY successful even in trials so this spec works well, to apply this build to your play style you just need to learn what mobs do what and how to preventative heal and reaction heal. The key to this spec is all about timing and of course this can be used as a base build and make of it whatever you want, this build is my perfected build except for trials im still attempting to figure out a perfect 5th spell for my heal bar.

To the basics!!! My first bar is where all my healing takes place, especially as a templar all heals are reactive, but when you combine it with a restoration staff you can pre emptive and reactive heal all day. Now when you get started you will notice that the magicka cost of all these abilities is very large, but with tons of magicka regen you can even out with no problems, all 3 of my jewelry is magicka regen based, the more you got the more you can do. Now weapon attacks are key to this build, so while you aren't healing you need to use weapon attacks, now don't get me wrong, let the dps do the dps and you need to focus on healing when it is your dedicated role.

Lets get started!

Attribute allocation: 49 Magicka, 0 Health, 0 Stamina

Now as far as skills go, i got every passive purchased in Light Armor, Restoring Light, Restoration Staff, Aedric Spear & Dawn's Wrath as well as all my passives purchased in my racial (However on PTS I played a Nord with no racial benefits to templar healing and now i support a Breton so with or without racial traits this is doable)

Now for abilities, i will tell you what i got on the bar, and explain why i have it and where i use it below.

Skill 1: Mutagen (Resto Staff morph of Regeneration)
Skill 2: Extended Ritual (Restoring Light morph of Purifying Ritual)
Skill 3: Illustrous Healing (Resto Staff morph of Healing Springs i think, the first skill in resto staff)
Skill 4: Breath of Life (Restoring Light morph of the first restoring light ability)
Skill 5: Inner Light (Mage Guild morph of Mage Light)

Ultimate: Solar Prison (Dawn's Wrath morph of its ultimate ability)

Now for use of these skills, Mutagen is prefight use and middle of the fight use when i am at max magicka and have nothing to heal

Extended Ritual I keep down at all times for 2 reasons, gives everyone a synergy heal if they take some light damage & Restoring Light passive increases everyone's healing intake when standing in the aura which is huge.

Illustrous Healing i will use if its a fight where the whole group can stack up and absorb an AoE ability such as the second boss in Spindleclutch (the gargoyle) i will have all my DPS stack and just heal through the ground slams.

Breath of Life is my burst heal. If the group is spread out the only heal i use. Its MAJOR Magicka cost is a downside but if you stack light armor with spell cost reduction from the traits and jewelry with magicka regen this should have no problems. I can spam it and get about 6 or 7 casts then start using weapon attacks to regenerate magicka. This ability is huge and can heal for 600-800 non crit, when it does crit it goes up to 1200-1400. Which can become a complete heal for most dps and a 50% heal for good tanks. Now i morph it into the Breath of Life so it hits 2 other players which was much more worth it, saves time AE healing and even the secondary healing can hit pretty hard.

Inner Light i use and keep up at all times, you lose 5% max magicka but for the crit chance it produces, well worth. As of right now most Templar heals do not crit but i'd rather practice because they are fixing this here soon.

Ultimate, Solar Prison i use for multiple reasons. One is for the 30% damage reduction, 2 is for the damage and 3 is for the stun it produces when someone activates the synergy, you can't beat it, even with the Ritual ultimate from restoring light. My biggest problem with restoring light ulti is you have to stand still for the time it is channeling.

If you have any questions please ask away, i am more than happy to answer any and willing to give feedback. This spec is my personal spec and you can change it into a way that you want to play your healer, just as long as it works lol. But this may not be your spec that you want, but this is at least a good start point to build yours the way you want to. Thank you for reading and ENJOY!!!

Edit: Forgot to add, my second skill bar is nothing but my solo/dps stuff, only use one bar for healing as i see no importance of putting more than that in unless you want me to post it up, but just so you know both weapons are resto staff
Edited by Dubah on May 17, 2014 5:18PM
  • Dubah
    Dubah
    ✭✭✭
    Figured I would add a link to my skill point allocation just so you guys can see, hopefully this helps to anyone in need of it!

Click Here
    Edited by Dubah on May 6, 2014 8:17PM
  • patd
    patd
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for posting this up, I was looking for ways to improve my spell lineup
  • pinkclouds269ub17_ESO
    pinkclouds269ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Interesting Build. I too love the resto staff on my Templar, So you gave me so really good ideas.
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Resto staff on Templar is cool but... can it kill. Because lvling a healer that deals no damage is as you will find out very painful and sometime not even worth it. Theres little point to running a healing spec that cannot solo fights and do pve content as well.
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
  • Dubah
    Dubah
    ✭✭✭
    @Kyubi_3002b16_ESO‌ look at my second bar, i got tons of damage going out as well as the capability to heal myself if i get low in a fight, ive been able to solo all the way up to VR8 so far taking on groups of 2-3 easily. It's not about do you have the damage to kill but also about the ability to kill. And not only that but also, this post is just for my healing build not my DPS/Solo build, you are looking too far into it. Realistically I'm just showing everyone there is a good combination of both templar and resto staff skills and it does work and works very well with no issues. Skill is what really makes up about 80% of this game so even with this build it won't make you the best or even a sub par healer, simplicity is you can do anything with any build.
    Edited by Dubah on May 7, 2014 9:06PM
  • Rannah
    Rannah
    Soul Shriven
    Great build, thanks for sharing!

I am curious about the Regeneration (RS) ability: you said that you use the Mutagen morph pre-fight or for patch healing when nothing else to do. Would Rapid Regeneration not better in this case?
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As neat and rather impressive as this build is, I'd name it something different than a Combat Cleric, as Clerics are already seen on battlefields as healers. Combat implies you fight, such as my Combat Medic Build for PvP.

I use a bow to pluck venom arrows and toss out heals, and if an enemy gets too close I magnum shot them then switch to my 2H and stampede back in.

While still using heals.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dubah wrote: »
    So I figured I would post my spec up, it has been VERY successful even in trials so this spec works well, to apply this build to your play style you just need to learn what mobs do what and how to preventative heal and reaction heal. The key to this spec is all about timing and of course this can be used as a base build and make of it whatever you want, this build is my perfected build except for trials im still attempting to figure out a perfect 5th spell for my heal bar.

To the basics!!! My first bar is where all my healing takes place, especially as a templar all heals are reactive, but when you combine it with a restoration staff you can pre emptive and reactive heal all day. Now when you get started you will notice that the magicka cost of all these abilities is very large, but with tons of magicka regen you can even out with no problems, all 3 of my jewelry is magicka regen based, the more you got the more you can do. Now weapon attacks are key to this build, so while you aren't healing you need to use weapon attacks, now don't get me wrong, let the dps do the dps and you need to focus on healing when it is your dedicated role.

Lets get started!

Now as far as skills go, i got every passive purchased in Light Armor, Restoring Light, Restoration Staff, Aedric Spear & Dawn's Wrath as well as all my passives purchased in my racial (However on PTS I played a Nord with no racial benefits to templar healing and now i support a Breton so with or without racial traits this is doable)

Now for abilities, i will tell you what i got on the bar, and explain why i have it and where i use it below.

Skill 3: Illustrous Healing (Resto Staff morph of Healing Springs i think, the first skill in resto staff)
    Skill 4: Breath of Life (Restoring Light morph of the first restoring light ability)

Now for use of these skills, Mutagen is prefight use and middle of the fight use when i am at max magicka and have nothing to heal

Extended Ritual I keep down at all times for 2 reasons, gives everyone a synergy heal if they take some light damage & Restoring Light passive increases everyone's healing intake when standing in the aura which is huge.

Illustrous Healing i will use if its a fight where the whole group can stack up and absorb an AoE ability such as the second boss in Spindleclutch (the gargoyle) i will have all my DPS stack and just heal through the ground slams.

Breath of Life is my burst heal. If the group is spread out the only heal i use. Its MAJOR Magicka cost is a downside but if you stack light armor with spell cost reduction from the traits and jewelry with magicka regen this should have no problems. I can spam it and get about 6 or 7 casts then start using weapon attacks to regenerate magicka. This ability is huge and can heal for 600-800 non crit, when it does crit it goes up to 1200-1400. Which can become a complete heal for most dps and a 50% heal for good tanks. Now i morph it into the Breath of Life so it hits 2 other players which was much more worth it, saves time AE healing and even the secondary healing can hit pretty hard.

Inner Light i use and keep up at all times, you lose 5% max magicka but for the crit chance it produces, well worth. As of right now most Templar heals do not crit but i'd rather practice because they are fixing this here soon.

Ultimate, Solar Prison i use for multiple reasons. One is for the 30% damage reduction, 2 is for the damage and 3 is for the stun it produces when someone activates the synergy, you can't beat it, even with the Ritual ultimate from restoring light. My biggest problem with restoring light ulti is you have to stand still for the time it is channeling.

If you have any questions please ask away, i am more than happy to answer any and willing to give feedback. This spec is my personal spec and you can change it into a way that you want to play your healer, just as long as it works lol. But this may not be your spec that you want, but this is at least a good start point to build yours the way you want to. Thank you for reading and ENJOY!!!

Edit: Forgot to add, my second skill bar is nothing but my solo/dps stuff, only use one bar for healing as i see no importance of putting more than that in unless you want me to post it up, but just so you know both weapons are resto staff

Its time you start using that second bar to support your tank. You have multiple moves to help make sure he doesn't run out of stamina and as far as I'm concerned your a sub par healer if your arnt doing that.
  • Murmeltier
    Murmeltier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Resto staff on Templar is cool but... can it kill. Because lvling a healer that deals no damage is as you will find out very painful and sometime not even worth it. Theres little point to running a healing spec that cannot solo fights and do pve content as well.

I am a Lvl Vet 13 Templer with Restostaff and i am a full Healer. I can say, that i can do all the Group or Open Dungeons/Dolmens/Worldbosses on my own. Except the Craglorn Ones.

With high Magicka for high Heals, you have high Damage too. Use Puncturing Sweep and Blazing Spear, and with the passive Skills from Aedric Spear you will dish out a lot of Damage.

For PvE leveling, the Templer is one the best Classes. And you can use interesting Skill-Combinations, for Roles that you want to play.

MFG MUrmeltier :) .
    Edited by Murmeltier on September 19, 2014 2:14PM
  • Murmeltier
    Murmeltier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dubah wrote: »

Lets get started!

Its time you start using that second bar to support your tank. You have multiple moves to help make sure he doesn't run out of stamina and as far as I'm concerned your a sub par healer if your arnt doing that.

That it isn`t right, it sounds more like a *if you dont do this, than you are not good* Arguement. I explain, why i think so.

You dont need a second Bar to be an optimal Healer. You need a good Feeling about Timing and Magicka - Management.

If you use too much Support - Spells, you will lose a lot of Mana through them and you cant use the heavy Attack from the Restorationstaff so often.

If you Switch the Staff to use some other Buffs it is dangereous too. Because some Bosses hits so hard like 75% of the Hitpoints of the Group and you know, the next Attack will kill them. So if you Switch and buff around you will lose important Time, Resources.

And it isnt interesting if someone means he is good to do that, because it cost Time. This is, in your words, *sub par*.

It is ok, if you want to think so and use this but it isnt the better Way.

You can use one Slot at the Second Bar to support the Group in different Situations , more you dont need. You dont lose Time for switching and if you use this Support wisley, you can Focus on the Mana-Management and Healing.

Blazing Spear is a nice Example, i use this in Situations if i want to support the Tank with Stamina or make some Damage too. But only if the Time is right for it. If i would use more Skills, i would lose more Time/Resources.

The most important Thing is to manage the Mana right, channel the heavy Attack to support this, and move right to counter the Damage from Boss/Trash.

So i think the OP has some good Ideas and i dont think he is a *sub par* Healer.

MFG Murmeltier :) .
    Edited by Murmeltier on September 19, 2014 4:16PM
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One day Templars will learn that Rushed Ceremony is superior to breath of life. Maybe when that day comes they will also learn not to spec into extended ritual.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Murmeltier
    Murmeltier
    ✭✭✭✭
    One day Templars will learn that Rushed Ceremony is superior to breath of life. Maybe when that day comes they will also learn not to spec into extended ritual.

Breath of Life is the best Healing Skill that a Templer can use. With the passives it crits alot and you can heal a Group often fully, with one Click.

I have tested Rushed Ceremony, i can spam this really really long, it is a nice Spell. But it has three strong Problems.

1. Range: 10 Meter isnt much. The Group often runs around and you will never ever hit them all, the whole Time.

2. Casttime: The Casttime is to slow, Mobs can kill the Group before the Spell is released. I have tried to spam this in large Groupfights and Bossfights and i can do this very often. It dont work, on the Paper it looks fine but in the Practise Mobs interrupts you or knock down you.

3. You need to be mobile, so you can avoid AOEs or the Boss Attacks, this Spell hinders you.

Breath of Life heals the Group for more than Rushed Ceremony, you need only 1 Spell, maybe two to heal the Group fully up. And i can cast this very often.

Maybe it is nice in PvP but that i dont know at the Moment. I think you can Interrupt this often there.

If you have another Idea why this Spell could work, please explain it then.

MFG Murmeltier :) .
    Edited by Murmeltier on September 19, 2014 4:16PM
  • Dubah
    Dubah
    ✭✭✭

Well let's start with this, how you play is how you play. And I'm sorry but i can nearly solo heal a raid through both hel ra and aetherian so my spec works really well (The only reason I can't is because the groups split and i can only go with 1 group). So don't come on to my post and try to troll people, you don't like the build then why are you even commenting? If you have a better suggestion and let's see, MAYBE A REASON WHY then post it instead of this nonsense, thank you.

Second sorry I've been away on a move for a new job and haven't had time to respond to any of these posts. So I apologise for the long waited responses.

Whatever you do, for now just don't listen to the guy I quoted he is just gonna give you a bad name for trying to heal like this. You guys should heal the way you want to heal, there are many specs and spells that work effectively you just need to figure out how to do that