Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Destruction Staff nerfed in PTS

Xage
Xage
I dont have the ability to go on the PTS but Teso Life updated their skill calculator with the 1.1 pts patch. http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/eso-craglorn-beta-skill-calculator-patch-1-1/

Destructive Touch and Force Shock got a damage nerf. Why would they nerf the Destruction Staff when it needed a buff?! Can anyone confirm this nerf on the PTS?
  • Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying that this is the case, but a 3rd party calculator could also have a bug or an error in the data table.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • Xage
    Xage
    Im hoping this is the case. Need to get someone in the PTS to chime in. This would be bad for an already low damage output weapon.
    Edited by Xage on May 3, 2014 1:20PM
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destructive Touch is a CC skill, so it shouldn't matter. What they need to buff are the actual damage skills outside Impulse.

The problem is the huge disparity between flame staff and frost/lightning. Frost/lightning staves are so garbage compared to the flame one, starting with the light/heavy attacks and the useless destructive touch effects (a knockback+stun>>>>>> a root or a disorient that breaks on damage).
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    On these patch notes that were shared, it actually says that they were both increased for damage:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/87867/patch-notes-v-1-1-inc-craglorn-from-pts/p1

It's not the final set of notes or anything, and just posted by a player, but still...

"Destruction Staff
    Destructive Touch (flame, frost, and shock): Increased this ability’s damage and magicka cost.
    Elemental Drain:
    This passive ability’s magicka restore will no longer erroneously trigger on damage-over-time ticks, or multiple times for a single ability cast.
    Force Shock: Increased the damage for this ability and its morphs.
    Tri Focus: Increased the amount of splash damage from shock effects that this passive ability gives.
    Wall of Fire: Changed this ability’s visual FX to help it stand out better from enemy fire area-effects."
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which is more of a nerf. Destructive Clench was used for the CC. This is a nerf to staff CC while a bow user can continue to knockback spam bosses.
  • Godspeed
    Godspeed
    ✭✭✭
    Xage wrote: »
    I dont have the ability to go on the PTS but Teso Life updated their skill calculator with the 1.1 pts patch. http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/eso-craglorn-beta-skill-calculator-patch-1-1/

Destructive Touch and Force Shock got a damage nerf. Why would they nerf the Destruction Staff when it needed a buff?! Can anyone confirm this nerf on the PTS?

Never use that calculator again please.

• Zanzu
    Zanzu
    Crescent wrote: »
    Which is more of a nerf. Destructive Clench was used for the CC. This is a nerf to staff CC while a bow user can continue to knockback spam bosses.

The only thing it did for CC was snare, To my experience most classes have a class skill that does better damage with the same if not better CC options. Increasing the damage/magicka cost doesn't even nerf the CC portion of it, it just makes you need less casts to kill a mob (Unless the damage/magicka ratio is somehow altered.) Unless you were kiting around for 5 minutes on a mob relying 100% on the snare.
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It got buffed not a nerf
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zanzu wrote: »
    Crescent wrote: »

The only thing it did for CC was snare, To my experience most classes have a class skill that does better damage with the same if not better CC options. Increasing the damage/magicka cost doesn't even nerf the CC portion of it, it just makes you need less casts to kill a mob (Unless the damage/magicka ratio is somehow altered.) Unless you were kiting around for 5 minutes on a mob relying 100% on the snare.

What snare? Fire staff destructive clench is a knockback+stun not a snare. And you're not gonna kill anything fast even if they doubled its damage.

With the increase to mana cost most likely non-7/7 light armor builds will be able to use the skill 3-4 times at best before running oom.

Everything they do has worked to limit build options as the costs of some abilities basically force you to stack on regen for one of the resource bars and cost reduction.

I thought armor was supposed to modify playstyle somewhat but as it stands it seems like it's actually mandatory for some builds.

There is simply no such thing as a 2H/light armor battlemage, because you lack crit otherwise. Unless you are a DK or Templar with actually decent spammable instant cast skills in between weaponswings. Sorc and nightblade have no option but to go medium armor if they want to melee.

Mixing and matching really doesn't work well on this game once you reach vet ranks. It's back again to hybrids being kind of crap and specialized roles that stack bonuses in one area being what's actually good.
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I wanted to use Lightning or Frost but because of their own... specialness, I will be resigning to fire. Lightning would be good but the long heavy attack that can't be cut short to a medium doesn't synergize with the status affect of Off Balance.... and if Deeper Freeze is just an extended version of the same snare then I can't justify using it over fire.
    Edited by Pyatra on May 9, 2014 5:51PM
  • Montanx
    Montanx
    Knockback is best for sure but i use ice staff for the imperium pvp set for the extra crit chance.

Edited by Montanx on May 9, 2014 4:51PM
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭
    Frost Reach is one of the best tools to counter bash spammers in PvP, since they can't become CC immune to it. Sucks that the magicka cost will be going up, but hopefully the added damage makes this a buff, overall.

-Travail.
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Wall of Fire: Changed this ability’s visual FX to help it stand out better from enemy fire area-effects."[/i]

THIS IS THE BEST THING IV HEARD ALL DAY! dose anyone know how many times i jump out of the wall of fire thinking im going too burn too death standing in it? do yall? like really thank you ZOS
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They buffed the damage on both abilities.

Problem is Force Shock still doesn't hit hard enough and Destructive Touch still sucks. D-Touch needed a massive cost reduction, not a cost increase and damage increase.

That needs to be a quick and dirty spammable CC to get multiple people off of you, other wise it will always be inferior to Group CC like Encase. I mean, for similar cost I could CC one person (D-Touch) or CC a whole group for much longer.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but Fire Clench works on casters and archers. Encase does nothing against them. Especially against a caster elite boss mob being able to chain knockback+stun them is incredibly strong compared to encase.

Sadly they nerfed the skill as CC since even if they doubled the damage the base damage is so low that it amounts to nothing, and people used the skill for CC not damage.

It was a dumb change considering they nerfed destructive touch but they kept the cost of magnum shot the same, which is arguably just as strong if not better.
    Edited by Crescent on May 13, 2014 2:34AM