The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Has no Scales, Has no Sense and Leaves no Trace.

Iago
Iago
✭✭✭✭✭
I have been playing a Khajiit in the Daggerfall Covenant and have been getting some griefe over his name. That being said I do realize that Has no Scales is an Argonian name. I also understand that traditionally Khajiits and Argonians are not and have not really been on the best of terms. To top it off he is fighting for a faction that is fighting against both Khajiits and Argonians. However there is a logical explanation for all of this.

One day an Argonian sorceress named Has no Sense found the bodies of two dead Khajiit laying just on the border of Blackmarsh. She was going to leave as she wasn't a necromancer and couldn't bring them back to life (the idea of Khajiit Zombies running around Blackmarsh didn't seem like a good idea to her anyway). As she turned to leave she noticed a small tail sticking out from under a bush not sure if it belonged to something alive or dead, quickly she stomped on it to see if it would move. A yowl that scared her very badly emanated from the bushes so she quickly pulled the little beast up by the tail and raised it so she could look at it eye to eye, the whole while the Khajiit child was struggling and yowling very loudly, wanting to put an end to the fight she decided to drop it in her bag to spare herself it's claws.
When she arrived home her husband, a big lumbering brute namd Leaves no Trace, dumped the contents of her sack on the table expecting to find some dinner in there.
"What is this?!" he exclaimed
"It's our new child" she replied
"Have you no sense, he has no scales!" he bellowed "He is a Khajiit!"
"That's a good name." she replied as she busied herself making it a place to sleep
"What's a good name?" Leaves no Trace said Confused
"Why Has no Scales of Course" she said looking at him a little bewildered herself
After another few hours of arguing with Has no Sense, Leaves no Trace realized he was doomed to raise a cat so he went to bed.

As Has no Scales grew up he realized he did not look like his parents at all. They had beautiful shiny scales and all he had was a covering like a skeever. Then one day he asked his father about this.
"Father, why do I have no scales?"
"Because your mother has no sense" he stated in a matter of fact way
"What do you mean?" he asked.
"You see your mother dabbles in magic every now and again and one of her spells backfired and turned you into a cat" He said
Has no Scales looked at his father wanting to question him more but he decided it was for the best to let the subject drop. He believed his father after all why would anyone lie about that? He wasn’t mad at his mother who was always kind and had gone blind and mostly deaf over the years. So at least now he knew what had happened.
As the years went by news of the troubles from across Tamriel mad it to the small family and just before the Has no Scales 20th birthday his father pulled him aside.
“Son the world is a dangerous place just now but it could get better one day.” He said as he led Has n Scales outside.
“It’s true that it’s illegal for the Dunmer to enslave us, but they still despise us and would enslave us again if they could. The Highelves of the Dominion are no better because far too many of them think themselves better than all and they would grind all of the species of the world under their heel if they could.” He looked at his son a with a half-smile.
“What can we do about it?” Has no Scales asked worried about what the answer would be.
“Travel to Daggerfall join the covenant and help them defeat those who would enslave us.” After he was done speaking Leaves no Trace opened a small shed behind their hut revealing a suit of armor and two swords “Take these and go.” He said with a twinge of sadness in his voice
“But you will be alone, with mother dead and me gone.” Has no Scales Protested.
“I will be fine I am just an old Argonian no one will bother me here and it will do me good to know you are safe. “
“I am not going!” Has no Scales protested.
Anger shot across Leaves no Trace’s face as he gave Has no Scales a mighty whack with his tail. “You will go, and there you will be safe. Come inside eat dinner and sleep you have a long day ahead of you tomorrow.”
The next morning Has no Scales woke up early he wanted to go hide before his father could make him leave but the hut was empty. Leaves no Trace was nowhere to be found. There was a note on the Table and a small bag.
Son,
The time for you to leave has come. The bag contains 650 Septims to help you on your journey. You can als take my horse Runs like Honey .Be safe, and when the fighting is over come back for a visit.
Signed
Leaves no Trace.
P.S. Be careful when trading with Khajiits they cannot be trusted

Knowing he had no other choice Has no Scales Put on his armor took his gold and set out for Daggerfall.

And that is why there is a Khajiit with and Argonian name fighting for the Daggerfall Covenant
That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely fabulous ^-^
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anastasia wrote: »
    Absolutely fabulous ^-^

Thank you

That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    OMG love it. I wish i had the creative juices to make a true "Character" out of my mine :)
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG love it. I wish i had the creative juices to make a true "Character" out of my mine :)

Thank you I hope this will get the lore police off of my back for a while.

-Thomas Pain

• MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Heads-up though, Septims don't yet exist. Ol' Tiber's not even gonna be born for a few centuries. I think they're called 'Drakes' at the mo.
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorHawk wrote: »
    Awesome. Heads-up though, Septims don't yet exist. Ol' Tiber's not even gonna be born for a few centuries. I think they're called 'Drakes' at the mo.

I was not aware of this, thank you for the info.

-Thomas Pain

• Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This play-on with the naming made me genuinely lol.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »

This play-on with the naming made me genuinely lol.

I'm glad I was trying not to bore my readers :D

-Thomas Pain

• nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you know you're now going to be approached constantly by strangers who will say, 'Wait. I know you." I'm on DC and that's what I would do.

Good story. Worthy of its own lorebook.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    I hope you know you're now going to be approached constantly by strangers who will say, 'Wait. I know you." I'm on DC and that's what I would do.

Good story. Worthy of its own lorebook.

Thank you, and I figured I would be but I was hoping to get some of the lore police off my butt about it.

-Thomas Pain

• nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the lore and I will correct something that blatantly contradicts lore. But honestly, if I hadn't read this post and I'd seen you in game, I probably would have lol'd and added your name to this thread. Some people just need to lighten up.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good back story! Good up the good work! :D
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I enjoyed your post. Some people are just crazy with being so stern and negative, they need a /bonk to the head to bring them back down to virtual reality.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the lore and I will correct something that blatantly contradicts lore. But honestly, if I hadn't read this post and I'd seen you in game, I probably would have lol'd and added your name to this thread. Some people just need to lighten up.

Aside from the septims what else was off with my lore? I like to know these things so I don't make the same mistake twice.

-Thomas Pain

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    Good back story! Good up the good work! :D

Thank you

-Thomas Pain

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    Yeah, I enjoyed your post. Some people are just crazy with being so stern and negative, they need a /bonk to the head to bring them back down to virtual reality.

I completely agree

-Thomas Pain

• Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very good read ..thank you :)
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Adalich
    Adalich
    the answer is yes
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful, thoroughly enjoyed that story. Nice work.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from the septims what else was off with my lore? I like to know these things so I don't make the same mistake twice.

Nothing stood out to me. There's already at least one example I know of regarding cross-species adoption. Brand-Shei in Skyrim was a Dunmer raised by Argonians, which is why his name follows Argonian naming conventions.

I'd be more interested in whether your character has Khajiit speech. Referring to oneself in the third person or as "this one" for instance. If you roleplay do you do that or do you speak more normally since you were raised by Argonians and not exposed to Khajiiti habits?

Does Has no Scales have other Argonian customs/ beliefs? A connection to the Hist for instance? Did he begin to adopt more Khajiit customs when he eventually bumped into other Khajiit or did he reject them even more as foreign?

My questions come less from a desire to analyze your adherence to lore and more from simple curiosity about your character. It is a very believable and likeable persona you've created and I'd just like to know more about him and how he fits in the world.

My interpretation of the lore you see is very flexible. As long as it has not been proven not to exist and is not wildly out-of-place, I'm more inclined to accept it and find logical, lore-friendly reasons of justifying it.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greydog wrote: »
    Very good read ..thank you :)

Thank you

-Thomas Pain

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you

-Thomas Pain

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing stood out to me. There's already at least one example I know of regarding cross-species adoption. Brand-Shei in Skyrim was a Dunmer raised by Argonians, which is why his name follows Argonian naming conventions.

I'd be more interested in whether your character has Khajiit speech. Referring to oneself in the third person or as "this one" for instance. If you roleplay do you do that or do you speak more normally since you were raised by Argonians and not exposed to Khajiiti habits?

Does Has no Scales have other Argonian customs/ beliefs? A connection to the Hist for instance? Did he begin to adopt more Khajiit customs when he eventually bumped into other Khajiit or did he reject them even more as foreign?

My questions come less from a desire to analyze your adherence to lore and more from simple curiosity about your character. It is a very believable and likeable persona you've created and I'd just like to know more about him and how he fits in the world.

My interpretation of the lore you see is very flexible. As long as it has not been proven not to exist and is not wildly out-of-place, I'm more inclined to accept it and find logical, lore-friendly reasons of justifying it.

He speaks normally and believes he is Argonian. He uses khajiit armour only because it fits better than Argonian armor does. He does (or will when I find someone to make them) wear argonian robes when he is in town.

As for Has no Scales he had many adventures growing up in black marsh. Including an encounter with a khajiit trader who suspected Has no Scales was a little on the crazy side.

-Thomas Pain

• reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    this was so good, thank you for sharing it. look forward to more!
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    this was so good, thank you for sharing it. look forward to more!

Thank you

-Thomas Pain

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you

-Thomas Pain

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adalich wrote: »
    the answer is yes

Yes to what?

-Thomas Pain

• Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome story, thanks for sharing :D
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Csub wrote: »
    Awesome story, thanks for sharing :D

Thank you

-Thomas Pain

• Quinz128ub17_ESO
    Eh, I have an Argonian raised by a Cyrodiilic couple, so I see no trouble with it. There's been examples, even in this very game, of interspecies marriage (Like in DC the Redguard and Khajiit), so I don't see some people giving compassion to an orphan they crossed about. Admittedly if Eva (My Imperial raised Argonian) ran into Has No Scales she would think he's a weirdo (as she does any Argonians, as she finds their culture strange.)

But yes, people who complain about inter-culture lore seems to be in the idea of there being one way a race can be and nothing else. Probably complained about that Orc who was a coward and just wanted to make weapons and not use them. XD