Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Another NPC knew what race i was!

Dekkameron
Dekkameron
✭✭✭✭✭
Often when i have been roaming about questing, npcs don't make any comments about what race you are (unfortunately) and i was a bit disappointed by this.

Then today whilst trawling through a dungeon on my DC Wood Elf character i noticed a fellow elf locked up...

T1DBhUz.jpg

At least! somebody noticed what race i was!

For some reason this pleased me enough to make a thread about it.

- Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank Auri-El! Finally some actual depth to the dialogue!
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

• Kiralya
    Kiralya
    It bothered me that the Bethnick orcs kept telling my orc templar in a very condescending tone how she, as an outsider, would never understand the orc way of living. It would have been much nicer if they had complained her about leaving her tribe or something instead of claiming her not to be an orc!

It's nice to know that there are some thought out conversation pieces there!
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as i know, this is the only quest dialogue that says something about the players race.
    Thinking about it.. I wonder if this quest says the same thing to everyone and it's just a bit odd?

Also the Daggerfall covenant guards need a good slap as i keep hearing snie remarks from them such as "Too many Elf-lovers around here.."
    Edited by Dekkameron on May 2, 2014 6:34AM
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    It annoyed me to no end that every darned bosmer I met in the AD thought it necessary to explain to the "outsider" (my bosmer nightblade ARCHER for crying out loud) their culture and the green pact and whatnot without being prompted about it.
  • Zakua
    Zakua
    ✭✭✭
    Is that fur growing out of your ear?

Oh I have found a few good jabs from the local NPC populous ....not to the tune Skyrim had but they exist.
  • tryia3b14a_ESO
    tryia3b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's pretty disappointing they couldn't have put a couple lines of code to check your race and maybe not explain all of Khajiit culture to a Khajiit. It just feels really generic that none of the NPCs have unique dialogue for specific races.

I guess we got a little spoiled by The Old Republic when it comes to full voiced actors having completely different reactions to different races and classes.

I remember really enjoying in Neverwinter Nights 2, back in 2002, that the NPCs sometimes had specific comments to my Dark Elf. I was so impressed that when I was learning how to script for that game's Tool Set, the first thing I taught myself was how to make NPCs recognize race/ class/ gender and have different lines fire off depending on the conditions met.
  • Skelfish
    Skelfish
    ✭✭✭
    In the EP starter island, Captain Rana has some unique dialogue if you are one of the Pact races asking about your race. "A Nord asking me about...Nords. That's clever...for a Nord. ;)"
  • Woogawoman
    Woogawoman
    ✭✭✭
    I've definitely encountered some "You're a Redguard, but you're not from the Alik'r, so let me explain..." dialogue as well.
    Aetherium Oblivion Alliance - 40+ Mature Gamers Guild (NA)
  • f4ngel
    f4ngel
    Soul Shriven
    I just discovered, in the chronical of 5 lore books on the table behind the profit in the harborage, the books mention my character in the lore. Thought it was pretty awesome :)
  • skeletorz_ESO
    skeletorz_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Kiralya wrote: »
    It bothered me that the Bethnick orcs kept telling my orc templar in a very condescending tone how she, as an outsider, would never understand the orc way of living. It would have been much nicer if they had complained her about leaving her tribe or something instead of claiming her not to be an orc!

It's nice to know that there are some thought out conversation pieces there!

You answered this yourself without noticing. The Betnikh orcs weren't claiming you weren't an orc, they were claiming you were an outsider.
    “If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.” -- René Descartes
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    If zeni sells characters slot, I'd roll and argonian just to name him "Skips-Dialog-With-Toes...
  • skyprowerb14_ESO
    I play a Khajiit and I noticed on occasion some race-specific dialogue, both in the Covenant and elsewhere. The Baandari in Alik'r in particular, I remember getting acknowledged as a Khajiit and not a human or such.

I do wish it were a little more common, though.
    Sahraaji, Covenant Khajiit Templar, Ch90 Ranger (DPS)
    Jah'zaan, Covenant Khajiit Nightblade, Pre-Champ Acrobat (DPS)
    Cleaves-In-Two, Pact Argonian Dragonknight, Pre-Champ Mercenary (Tank)
    Cylaerin, Dominion Bosmer Sorceror, Pre-Champ Sage (Healer)
    (@SkyBlueFox1)
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just found another quest where the npcs recognize my race.

Playing as a Bosmer in Auridon, the Thalmor peeps dislike me already!

DY5g526.jpg
    A7BmV1b.jpg
  • elven.were_wolf
    elven.were_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a mission in Deshaan in a place called the veil of the snake -If I remember correctly- where after completing the trial of the snake one of the tribal women react to your gender by saying something like "I'm glad a woman completed the trial" or something along those lines.
    Note: I was playing as a female bosmer Ep Character.
    Achievement hunter and secret admirer of Naryu Virian.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Redguard got some race-specific dialogue in the Alik'r which was cool, however he's also had an NPC tell him that they'd like to kill all the Redguards in the vicinity, and someone else told him he didn't look like a Redguard so therefore they'd trust him...

My Altmer have been insulted a few times because of their race, I remember one Dunmer in particular saying "I can't afford to lose my head like some rattle-brained Altmer!" as I was trying to save her mothers' life. Interestingly in Orsinium
    when you go to look for Neramo, if you're an Altmer the orc woman will describe him by saying "he kind of looks like you" which I thought was pretty neat.

On a similar note, your vampirism will almost never be acknowledged by vampire hunters and other vampires alike; which is really weird because there are a few quests where you're asked to do things on the basis that you're not a vampire and they don't really make sense at all. They did add vampire-specific dialogue for a certain NPC in the Gold Coast though!
    0ZKWG6_hYwnBBQdlOSDTLUdqiXcbln1UPBjfCvRuk3UtkSgU1sgTU43omb6Zo1LPmoskNlNyhA=w1080-h608-rw-no
    Edited by ListerJMC on June 1, 2017 3:02PM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • xellink
    xellink
    ✭✭✭
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    Interestingly in Orsinium
    when you go to look for Neramo, if you're an Altmer the orc woman will describe him by saying "he kind of looks like you" which I thought was pretty neat.

Isn't that racist? All altmers look the same...
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xellink wrote: »
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    Interestingly in Orsinium

Isn't that racist? All altmers look the same...

Yes, I just thought it was neat that they made Altmer-specific dialogue for that quest. I'd previously done that quest on a Redguard and gotten a slightly different description ("tall, spindly, talks way too much for his own good") without the addition that my Altmer got.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."