The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Item Pricing

AngryJ2016
Hey there

So I am very new to MMO's (new meaning this is my first one ever). My question regarding trading is how do I know what exactly an item is worth? I know that the game tells you the "value" of each item when you look at it but I figured that's only what NPC merchants will pay. Is that amount actually what the item is worth? If not, how do I go about figuring out what it's actually worth? I just recently paid someone 600g for 100 iron ingots and I have no idea if I got ripped off or not.

Also, does the game's economy change? Or will 100 iron ingots always be worth 600g?

Someone help me out. Thanks!
  • oldkye
    oldkye
    ✭✭
    There is no AH so you have to go back to the basic rules of business "It's worth what someone will pay" you may have bought it from someone for 600g but someone three feet from them may buy it from you for 1,200g cause they really need it.

People always ask in chat and I tell them the same thing like blue aspect runes for example if no one wants it it's worth like 100g if everyone wants it maybe 400g if you have all the time in the world to sit and wait for a buyer it's worth 700g.

The vendor value is the only check for iron bars they vendor for like 400g or something for a stack of 100 since you can never go under the vendor price your pretty spot on with the value as for if someone will pay more for them of course someone will the trick is finding that someone before others do I often see them sell for up too 1,200g to someone who doesn't know people sell them cheaper.
    Edited by oldkye on April 30, 2014 10:52PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easier to get a feel for pricing if you belong to a larger guild with an active guild store since you can look at currently for sale listings and the actual sale history. (asking price and selling price are two different things).

As for your ingots, i think 600g is a fair price for a stack of 100. They sell for 400 when sold to a merchant, so the seller only made a slight profit over that.

Of course, you lose out on any tempers you might have gotten from refining iron ore yourself...
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on April 30, 2014 11:00PM