The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Player Shops

Memnock
Memnock
✭✭✭
Personally , i only saw this in one other game and that is Lineage II. I also saw that other people want this as well , so i figured i would start a poll about it :)
What would you guys think about the ability to open your own shop , basically a command like "/Shop" where your character sits down and a Shop Marker is placed above his head and when you do this , you select what items you want to sell and then you leave your avatar in the game ( even if you are offline , your character would behave as an NPC shop keeper , players will be able to interact with your character and view what you are selling and buy the stuff they want for the price you set for the items )
Edited by Memnock on April 30, 2014 9:46PM

Player Shops 79 votes

I like the option of being able to open my own shop
68%
GwarokMoonchildecasselna_ESOindytims_ESOChampionSheWolfrich.s.rodriguez_ESOJadakinDarastixdamonpeltob14_ESOCatsmoke14Kathleen.Flynn02b14_ESOCinnamon_SpiderstryderzzDrake81Berylmark.markandb16_ESOboyne.kieranb16_ESOkyrowskie.v.taramanb16_ESOBleakraven 54 votes
Its a dumb idea , I don't think it helps the economy or adds any flavor to the game
31%
MallowaySeñorCincoEvanisgrahamz1b14_ESOkrees28b14_ESOViblosoulf666tylarthb16_ESOAvidusRadwafffllesssKrayorLocutus852AbigailSoloeuszhevonArdeniNatjurMkChknradiostar 25 votes
  • sociald100ub17_ESO
    I've seen this in other games. And actually I would be ok with this as long as the shop doesn't auto spam chat and there are some reasonable restrictions as to where you can set up shop. I don't want someone setting up shop in the bank for instance.
  • wafffllesss
    wafffllesss
    ✭✭✭
    Its a dumb idea , I don't think it helps the economy or adds any flavor to the game
    I Do enjoy a little the Idea of being able to set your own shop, but I've seen this in some other games and I've seen the results of it. TONS of afk character in the main cities, it was a mess, too much FPS lag and impossible to see game npcs. I'm sorry, but I'm against it =/
  • Brakkar
    Brakkar
    ✭✭✭
    If it was restricted to certain area in the city, with no other function to that area, i.e. emoty building or empty space near bank/front gates or small village near main city, I would agree this is a useful feature.
    But as stated above, this may have negative effects as well.
  • alphawolph
    alphawolph
    ✭✭✭
    I got filthy rich in swg running shops just like this.

And, I'd rather have a centralized bulletin board market so I don't have to hunt for every little thing I need. It also makes it way easier to sell things.

Also, your negative is a bit harsh. I don't think it's a dumb idea. Id just rather have a market.
    Edited by alphawolph on April 30, 2014 11:28PM
  • Moonchilde
    Moonchilde
    ✭✭✭
    L2 is an awesome game, its still alive and kicking, and older than WoW :) Learn from them
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    At this moment I am so tired of the guild stores that I welcome any alternative way of trading. As far as these shops are limited to some areas in bigger cities and outside of buildings I would be fine with them. Saw it working in some games and it was quite fun.
  • Valkerian
    Valkerian
    I would really like this option in a way. I really do get tired of going into guild stores and finding that everyone is (what I believe in my opinion) overpricing items just because they saw one sell for that days ago so they're going to keep pushing that price high as long as that one person in a thousand buys. I also don't like that it's hard to search through (though not too bad as I have a price limit I'm willing to pay). And when I'm selling items in zone chat, I feel like I'm spamming sometimes. I don't mean to be, but with the rarity people talk in veteran zones, it feels that way. Maybe have a specific area in each faction where people could set up player shops or something. Or have a rent system, like pay this NPC 5000/week and have a stall to yourself or something.
  • Memnock
    Memnock
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen this in other games. And actually I would be ok with this as long as the shop doesn't auto spam chat and there are some reasonable restrictions as to where you can set up shop. I don't want someone setting up shop in the bank for instance.

The way I would like this to be implemented is for your character to just sit down , no spam in chat , no nothing. Sit down in an area, maybe somewhere outside the city or in a designated district , where you can leave your character and when a player clicks on your avatar , he can see what you are selling.

As for lag... i honestly don't know if this will have any impact or not on the game , like i said , in Lineage II , that wasn't an issue , but here , the engine still needs tweaks so it can deal with the lag spikes and delays that players are experiencing , and maybe after that is resolved , this could be implemented.

@alphawolph , i am not sure what you mean by a centralized bulletin board market, that kind of sounds like a server wide AH , which i don't think that this game will have in the near or distant future , since the devs , as far as i can see , don't want that here.

As for the guild stores , when they said that we would be able to open our own guild shops , i actually thought that we would get a NPC , that would sell the items that our guild store had , like now you go to the guild bank and search through the stuff that is sold in your guild shops and select which guild shop you want to see. Instead , i thought that once your guild is able to open a guild shop, the NPC , will be selling the items , to everyone that comes to that town :)

• Ardeni
    Ardeni
    ✭✭
    I voted no, even though I don't think that it "doesn't add any flavor into the game at all". The reason for this is that I don't want to browse through hundreds of player shops or to have my computer on day and night to sell items. I had my fair share of that in the past, and while you can make some great profit buying and reselling with this system, it is annoying to spend your days looking for items through all the stalls. Then, if this was added, it would probably be easier to find something specific and this would probably generate a trading hub somewhere, which wouldn't hurt. I guess I'm a bit torn on this one.
  • Sparkleav
    Sparkleav
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for having a store from your player house like in EQ2.
  • sevcik.miroslaveb17_ESO
    I want player shops really a lot. I do not want auctions to go away. All I want is to have choice to play the way I want.

You want to trade via AH? sure go for it. Do I want to buy/sell items with help of player shop? Give me that option.

Right now I am simply forced NO TO TRADE at all. Damn it is even hard to find someone to trade crafted stuff so we both can deconstruct for 100% crafting XP...

As for some concerns
    - Fps lags in ESO on what PC are playing? I have low end gaming PC and I play it on max details and I have NO fps laggs in cyrodiil in huge battles with hundreda of players...

- Wrong placemet - you can interact with NPC even if it is overcrowded by players. Yet layout which would prevent this would be welcome.

I see zero negative effect on the game if player shops were introduced.

Afk seller/buyer is still better than available person ignoring you...
  • Memnock
    Memnock
    ✭✭✭
    @Ardeni Perhaps i was not clear on what i meant by having your avatar stand and sell stuff :)

What i meant by this is that your character stays in the game world logged on , just like a NPC , but you can log off , shut down your computer , do whatever you want , but your character will stay inside the game , stationary , where you left him and other players will be able to interact with him , just like with an NPC vendor , for the duration that you are either offline , or hell , you can even stay in game and watch people take a look at what you have to sell :) Then again thats a bit boring and i did this , when i went offline . Just left my character in NPC vendor more and went to sleep ( computer shut down of course :P )

Like you said , this could open up a new way of trading , general chat would no longer be flooded with "WTS stuff for x gold" anymore , there would be city areas or maybe specific cities where this could happen , trade hubs where crafters and gatherers are able to sit down and market their stuff .

I think that this would help everyone , you no longer have to be a part of a guild to buy and sell ( of course this is still viable but guilds with this kind of orientation will be more focused on more specific stuff , like crafting some stuff that is more rare , or maybe selling high end materials and so on ) , the options you have and the items you see up for sale , are more varied compared to a WTS spam or to the limitation of joining a trading guild , since even with that , you wont always find what you are looking for . But with this , you can go to a city and take a look at what everyone will have , from the time i spent i Lineage at these sorts of markets , it doesn't take you longer than what it would take you to browse around in a regular AH or in a guild store here.
    Edited by Memnock on May 1, 2014 1:35PM
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    oh my takes me to the days of runescape you go to lummi and be swamped with players trying to trade with you. i would think are you a market trader
  • alphawolph
    alphawolph
    ✭✭✭
    Memnock wrote: »
    [quoted="sociald100ub17_ESO;757054"]I've seen this in other games. And actually I would be ok with this as long as the shop doesn't auto spam chat and there are some reasonable restrictions as to where you can set up shop. I don't want someone setting up shop in the bank for instance.

The way I would like this to be implemented is for your character to just sit down , no spam in chat , no nothing. Sit down in an area, maybe somewhere outside the city or in a designated district , where you can leave your character and when a player clicks on your avatar , he can see what you are selling.

As for lag... i honestly don't know if this will have any impact or not on the game , like i said , in Lineage II , that wasn't an issue , but here , the engine still needs tweaks so it can deal with the lag spikes and delays that players are experiencing , and maybe after that is resolved , this could be implemented.

@alphawolph , i am not sure what you mean by a centralized bulletin board market, that kind of sounds like a server wide AH , which i don't think that this game will have in the near or distant future , since the devs , as far as i can see , don't want that here.

As for the guild stores , when they said that we would be able to open our own guild shops , i actually thought that we would get a NPC , that would sell the items that our guild store had , like now you go to the guild bank and search through the stuff that is sold in your guild shops and select which guild shop you want to see. Instead , i thought that once your guild is able to open a guild shop, the NPC , will be selling the items , to everyone that comes to that town :)

[/quote]

Yes I meant something like an AH but without an auction. And i bet as get one someday.
  • Memnock
    Memnock
    ✭✭✭
    No , i am not a market trader , but i just LOVED the idea of opening my own shop in an online game and so far , the only game i played that had this was Lineage II :smiley:

I actually hate playing the AH in other MMOs , but with my own shop there , and with items that i am able to make or gather being sold while i am offline , i have a win win situation right there. I get to make some money off of my work for the items , players are happy to buy stuff and are free to browse my inventory for how long they want and compare my prices to others , maybe add me to their list of potential crafters if they see a rare enchant , or maybe a set of gear with their desired crafted set bonus and again , this would eliminate the limitation of joining a bunch of guilds to browse their shop and still not find what you are looking for. It would basically open up a new version of AH , where the player is directly involved :)
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 'no.' I think the term "dumb idea" is too harsh because it's not absolutely without merit. Anything that forwards in-game commerce is a good thing.

That said, I've also played MMOs where players could setup shops -- inevitably they became a cancer on the landscape and created horrendous lag in the areas where players insisted on setting up shop.

If someone can provide a detailed plan of how to implement thousands of player-run shops, without them detracting from the landscape, turning into havens for bots, becoming utter nuisances, and impeding server performance I'm all in.

Until then, no thank you.
  • Jadakin
    Jadakin
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer this over a universal AH. I just don't want eBay in ESO. I see the value of it in other games. I just think the social design they have with the game is the right way to go. The implementation needs to be fixed. Private Stores and more access to other guild stores, along with a Trade Chat channel I'm in favor of.
  • wafffllesss
    wafffllesss
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, lets try to think some more details to make this more viable. Here are my thoughs about it:
    1. Every (zone) main city should have a market district for players only. This should be instanced as a dungeon is, so it wouldn't affect other players in the city.
    2. The market disctrict should have a limited amount of stalls, lets say 200 stalls.
    3. Players should rent a stall for a limited amount of time, lets say: 12h - 500g.
    4. Limit to one stall per account, so every player have a chance to rent one.
    5. Cooldown for renting a stall, like 24 hours. (You really don't need to open a shop every day, you could bank some items to sell them later)
    6. Stalls should be named, so players who are looking to buy have an idea o what you want to sell
    7. Stall renting refund if you want to leave before your renting finish

These are my ideas, if it was something like that I think it would be organized and useful. Not too dificult to find what you want.
  • Eekaboo
    Eekaboo
    On EQ1 everyone had to go and stand all in one area on Lucilin that had floors of stalls and people would get in a selling position and sell. A trail would take you to the person selling when you found the AH item. It was awesome, here they can put a quest type marker and name,
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ultima had it, but to make this work we would first need housing and this isn't even announced yet for a future patch so I doubt player shops are anywhere close.
  • Malloway
    Malloway
    ✭✭✭
    I voted no only because Ive seen how Lineage 2 and Aion look with them and its a mess.
    HOWEVER Guild shops (where a leader or officer could open their AH to the public) would be something I would love to see.
  • grahamz1b14_ESO
    It really sucked in EQ, and it sucked in a couple of f2p games where I've seen it, becuse when you concentrate that many buyers and sellers in one place, you end up with terrible lag. The only place I've seen it work as intended, was in Dofus (sort of). The ONLY reason why it worked was that you could set up shop almost anywhere that there were no hostile npcs. What that meant was that while you could buy and sell, it was nearly impossible to find specific items unless you traveled A WHOLE LOT. Some people did tend to set up shop in specific locations, though, so that might help if you knew that player X was a blacksmith or a baker or an alchemist, and he usually set up shop outside of the entrance to town A. So it worked to a small extent, but only by making shopping extremely inconvenient.

I agree that it would add color to the game, but if you can't overcome the inherent problems with it, it's not very practical.
  • Darastix
    Darastix
    ✭✭✭
    Id like to see player shops, but not this type. this type causes way to much lag. A store/booth with a NPC merchant selling my wares would be much better.
  • Denzeli
    Denzeli
    YES! Rent a "table" from a market place building (located in every town!). Rent prices go up by the popularity of the market place (eg. busy cities would have more expensive table rents). Then have a PER table listing of the goods available at the current market place (and no search either), so you'd have to browse through the tables and see what the offering is. Hmmm...
  • damonpeltob14_ESO
    damonpeltob14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    final fantasy 11 is the game i played where a player could set up a "bazar" which was just a little bag next to your head worked great im all for it
  • Memnock
    Memnock
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is a solution that could be implemented with relative ease , and would be a much better alternative compared to joining 3-4 trading guilds , and get assaulted by selling and buying ppl in the chat , which for me at least gets a bit tiresome after a while , but i still have to monitor the chat , since i never know when a guy is selling a pattern that i might want to some other stuff.

With player shops , everyone can just sit down somewhere in a designated area outside of towns and sell their stuff.

About the lag problems... i don't know if this would affect the the game in any way , since if i think about some of the massive zergs i've seen in Cyrodiil at times , when all 3 factions collide and there were like at least 80-100 people on the screen and didn't have that big of a lag issue , considering that the EU server is still in the US , i would have to say that lag would not be that big of a concern.