The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Depth of Field

Ahnjil
Ahnjil
Suggestion: DOF for ESO

If you don't know what's DOF, it's this

Screenshot.png

(Your weapon is obviously not the *only* place where it should be focused)

It makes the "camera" focus on the thing you're looking at.
We've seen it in ESO, when we absorb a skyshard. So it's possible to make.

googleimage.jpg

For me, it makes a great difference. It would make ESO a whole new game.
It would make great sense for ZOS to implement it, because things like this
give better first impressions of games.

Screenshotti.png

How would it work in a game with both 1st person and 3rd person modes?

In first person, there could be traditional DOF: things that are too far
and things that are too close would all be blurred. Except for weapon, of course.

But in third person, only things too far would be blurred. Like this.

quick.jpg

Naturally, DOF would be optional.
One should also be able to adjust the amount of blur.
Besides DOF, we need FOV (1st person is too narrow atm)
and General Discussion forum.

Thanks for taking your time to read.
Edited by Ahnjil on April 30, 2014 6:13PM
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    As long as any feature is optional - I don't mind. But this one I would never use. Note, I love photography and understand the value of this feature when you take photos, but in real life when I look around the things are not blurred. Only if I am trying to focus on one thing, like a line in a book or that small dirty spot on the handle of my cup. In most cases things I look at are all sharp and clear: partly because my eyes can move fast and the whole image is kept in memory, partly because I am just trying to catch as many details as possible with my side view. In a virtual world the computer code has no idea if I want to focus on some spot or observe the whole picture fast. I can't even watch the movies where this constant focusing and blurring is overused. In a game it would be too much of an annoyance for me.
  • tangorn
    tangorn
    ✭✭
    Hm... I think this option was there last time I checked video settings.
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    tangorn wrote: »
    Hm... I think this option was there last time I checked video settings.

Yes there is an option with exactly this name, however I do not see any effect of it. Tried ON and OFF out of curiosity and the world around me is the same. Maybe it only affects the rare moments like taking a skyshard.

• BaldursMate
    I completely agree with this. I understand it is not for everyone but I think it would look fine with DoF. There was an early quest which was entirely in Dof I think.
  • xramirez535b14_ESO
    Options are always great, personally I think this would look terrible but if others would love it I don't see the harm.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks terrible to someone with monoptic vision. Your pictures gave me a mild headache.
  • ZomZom
    ZomZom
    ✭✭✭
    The only affect this has had in my experience is in NPC conversations, which is the exact opposite of what the tooltip says.
    Edited by ZomZom on May 5, 2014 5:35PM