The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

High # Trait Set Bonus - Why do they seem to suck?

Inco
Inco
✭✭✭✭
I'm not trying to be a pain, but I get better stats running TWO sets of THREE Traits than any of the 8 trait required Set Bonus Stations.

Shouldn't the 60 days of research (8 traits) warrant a much greater return on investment for the higher end crafted Set Bonus items?

Example you say? Okay:
Eyes of Mara - 8 Traits needed per item. 3pc= 80 spell resist, 5pc= -3% magicka cost of abilities w/Resto Staff
OR
Seducer - 3 Traits needed. 3pc= -3% cost of spells (Yes not staff, but spells)
+ Torugs Pact - 3 Traits needed. 3pc = 100 Armor (Not apples to oranges, but equal to swap out w/Spell resist).

Being a light armor wearing healer this would be my combo. (I left out a better 5pc / 3 pc combo to keep it from being confusing, but that factors into my suggestion below)

NOW.. let's get real and make TRUE 8 Trait set bonus
NEW Eyes of Mara - 8 Traits needed per item
3 pc = Reduce Spells & Weapon Magicka Costs by 3%
5 pc = 100 Armor @‌ 100 Spell Resistance
Option B: 5 pc = +50 power @ + 5% Crit (Spell & Weapon)
Edited by Inco on April 30, 2014 6:12PM
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta admit, I too found the 8 trait sets a bit underwhelming considering the requirements for them.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • jacky0002rwb17_ESO
    they probably make the set bonus base on the name more in this set items (Mara quite often give magic resist and healing). I think this set can still have some use like if a Paladin style templar that have restoration staff as backup. but i will probably pick some other sets instead

For me i will do it in another way.

3 Items
    * Adds 80 spell resistence (no change)
    5 Items
    * Increase effectiveness of healing by x% (Also affect templar heal)

now this will be more tempting, as we get quite a lot of magicka passives if you go as dedicate healer (racial, light armor...etc) or items (enchant like reduce magicka cost) but there are not much items that does help increase healing done (there is "spell power" but no one know how it affect the healing spell done)
    Edited by jacky0002rwb17_ESO on April 30, 2014 9:56PM
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the crafted 'set' bonuses are bad at end game. The drop one only sets are so much better. I use crafting only to upgrade dropped armor sets.

V1 Warlock set on rings and necklace = Max Magic recovery and Once per minute, when below 33% Magicka, gain 33% Max Magicka

Ice Furnace set works nicely (V4) and when upgrade adds a lot of damage
    Edited by Natjur on April 30, 2014 10:14PM
  • doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    Since it's still a month away untill anyone has 8 traits researched it's probably not on the priority list right now.

We'll probaby see better sets and upgrades to the 8 sets, it's not a very expensive fix after all, just adjusting some numbers etc.

• Brakkar
    Brakkar
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have 2 crafted sets and they both rock.
    Hundig's rage + Night Mother.
    Mundus stone on armor, Weighted on 2 swords.
    No problem with those and they work great, there was a noticable change in my dps while questing and dungeons.
    So I can't agree, they work great.
  • Valkerian
    Valkerian
    Yeah, the 8 trait sets seem underpowered to me as well right now, which is why I switched focus to 5pc maximum on all my researches. Plus, people never really ask for the other ones either.
  • Inco
    Inco
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Brakkar - I agree for mDPS I'm sure that setup is just as good. BUT... if you had a better 5pc set that gave serious benefits when using items that require 8 traits I'm sure you would take it. :)

@Natjur - I agree. I'm running that as my "THIRD" set of bonus with Amulet and two rings. Didn't want to mess up the details around non-crafted sets.

My "Hope" is this thread will draw some attention from the DEV team not to forget about crafted Set Bonus in the next content release. Right now the existing set bonus for crafted with 8 traits... Well SUCK... LOL
  • Brakkar
    Brakkar
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you may be right.
    8 trait sets need a bonus, maybe by adding another set bonus.
    Make it 3/4/6 so you can still use 2 sets with 2h weapon.
    I re-checked those 8 trait sets and they seem mostly week.
    Everyone plays hybride builds and these seem made fore pure healer or pure tank, third one is something I don't quite understand ( the 3 set stamina regen is good, but res time ?? ).
    Hopefully we will see new sets with Craglorn and further updates and hugher vr level zones.
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, for a requirement for 8 traits, they're very underwhelming, hope the devs see this.
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey
  • Phaistos
    Phaistos
    ✭✭
    I agree that the set bonuses are not really good looking. But as of right now, nobody should be able to craft them anyway.
    Keep in mind that there will be new sets introduced and I'm quite sure that especially the 8 trait sets are going to be the endgame_target.

Maybe even the new craglorn patch will bring in some new crafting set, and if not then some patch down the road will.
  • R0M2K
    R0M2K
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree, makes no sense at all...

Itemization is quite bad in this game.
  • Valmond
    Valmond
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, the crafted sets could be more powerful.
    But for the most part i am quite happy with them (most set bonuses i've found on drops have not been something i would particularly want, nor the looks of the gear be something i would wear).
    Kagrenac's Hope especially has an awesome 5 set bonus for pvp raids.
    Spectre's Eye is another nice set to have.
    Willow's Path has a nice 3 set bonus, and Hunding's Rage a nice 5 set bonus (and you can mix those, yay).
    Not to mention Night Mother's Gaze.

Sure, they might not be the most uber sets you can have, but depending on your needs, they can be awesome things to have on demand.

edit-
    edited for grammar
    Edited by Valmond on May 1, 2014 10:35AM
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inco wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be a pain, but I get better stats running TWO sets of THREE Traits than any of the 8 trait required Set Bonus Stations.

Shouldn't the 60 days of research (8 traits) warrant a much greater return on investment for the higher end crafted Set Bonus items?

Example you say? Okay:
    Eyes of Mara - 8 Traits needed per item. 3pc= 80 spell resist, 5pc= -3% magicka cost of abilities w/Resto Staff
    OR
    Seducer - 3 Traits needed. 3pc= -3% cost of spells (Yes not staff, but spells)
    + Torugs Pact - 3 Traits needed. 3pc = 100 Armor (Not apples to oranges, but equal to swap out w/Spell resist).

Being a light armor wearing healer this would be my combo. (I left out a better 5pc / 3 pc combo to keep it from being confusing, but that factors into my suggestion below)

NOW.. let's get real and make TRUE 8 Trait set bonus
    NEW Eyes of Mara - 8 Traits needed per item
    3 pc = Reduce Spells & Weapon Magicka Costs by 3%
    5 pc = 100 Armor @‌ 100 Spell Resistance
    Option B: 5 pc = +50 power @ + 5% Crit (Spell & Weapon)

4 months later and the 8 trait crafted armor (especially the "bonuses") is STILL horrible compared to all other armor. Way to be on the ball there Max.
  • Drjones501
    On top of not really improving the eight trait sets, they added more dropped sets that are also better than the eight trait sets. I'm hoping they give the players who actually participated in the time sink that is crafting the opportunity to get mo from their investments.
    Hasek
    V13 Templar healer
    Mawlbrung
    46 Night Blade Vampy
    Assassin Brotherhood, DC NA server
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    I can make 8 trait in about every thing and i haven't bothered too make anything, the 3 4 5 6 traits sets are better. if on day one i know it was so worthless i doubt i would have wasted so much time sorting inv. to keep my research going.

One of my many disappointments with this game. This game was advertised with statements making one think master crafted armor was OP.... nothing is further from the truth.
  • Inco
    Inco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea.... my sub is only being kept around until I hit 8 trait on all items. Close, but still a short period away as I wrap up the last trait on MED armor and 2 more on Metal weapons.

ZOS - you guys promised us REAL CRAFTING of end game gear. Now even crap found in chests is starting to have better stats.

My mixed NON-8 Trait Gear is still WAY BETTER than any of the 8 Trait sets. WHY?