Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Nightblade- Why are class skill crit based on Weaponcrit??

tommipalub16_ESO
tommipalub16_ESO
✭✭✭
This is more about assasination and Shadow Tree:

All damage abilities are described as "Magical Damage".
Their Damage is based on Max Magicka , Spelldmg and on Spellpenetration. This is what i have tested.

But it seems the Crit is calculated via Weaponcrit.
I really dont get why this is being calculated this way. It makes armor choosing very difficult. I play a Magicka Based Melee NB (ambush, surprise attack, killers blade + Siphoning strikes ). I only use Magicka Skills. If i use lightarmor i'm good in spellpenetration and i have quite enough magicka due to cost reduction and Manareg. But i have a lack of crit, due to the senseless fact that the crits are based on weaponcrit. Now if u put on Medium Armor, u dont lack crit, but u will get out of mana for sure.

What do you think about this?
I just found another posed where this is being discussed. Sorry for bringing up the same topic again.
Edited by tommipalub16_ESO on April 29, 2014 6:00PM
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its because they are melee type skills from melee range. Most players who use them will be using Melee Weapons and Medium armor. Basing them off of spell crit would make those abilities less useful to the archetypal build.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • tommipalub16_ESO
    tommipalub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well my type is magicka based and the spellpenetration, magickaregen,less spellcost makes my dps go high with light armor. i dont need stamina...so i kinda dont need medium armor 0o
  • yelloweyedemon
    yelloweyedemon
    ✭✭✭

Their Damage is based on Max Magicka , Spelldmg and on Spellpenetration. This is what i have tested.

I really dont get why this is being calculated this way. It makes armor choosing very difficult. I play a Magicka Based Melee NB (ambush, surprise attack, killers blade + Siphoning strikes ). I only use Magicka Skills. If i use lightarmor i'm good in spellpenetration and i have quite enough magicka due to cost reduction and Manareg. But i have a lack of crit, due to the senseless fact that the crits are based on weaponcrit. Now if u put on Medium Armor, u dont lack crit, but u will get out of mana for sure.

I don't think using only magicka based skills is viable. Yes you can do it if you want, but then running out of magicka is the price you'll pay.
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    That's when you want to run restoration staff and a few magicka restoring ability
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

As a side note I was curious what sort of effects you noticed from spell penetration. When I tested 8% weapon penetration it only seemed to give me 1 extra damage. What sort of damage difference did you get?

(note: not saying saying there is a problem with weapon penetration, just trying to gather some more information as my test could have overlooked something)

Edited by Armitas on April 29, 2014 8:01PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • tommipalub16_ESO
    tommipalub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    im not quite sure about spellpenetration currently. firts i thought it was affecting ther dmg heavily. now i got other results, where it affected nothing. I though it could maybe depend on the mob (does it halve spellresistence???)
    I'm still figuring out.
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an oversight. They recently gave an explanation that skills are supposed to scale off the pool they use. Weaponskills should use weapon crit, anything else spell crit.

The issue is that this would nerf leather, melee specced nightblades by a lot.
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Balancing this game is going to be a loooong process and balance issues are going to scare a lot of players off from the game.
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on April 30, 2014 5:27AM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • tommipalub16_ESO
    tommipalub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I don't think using only magicka based skills is viable. Yes you can do it if you want, but then running out of magicka is the price you'll pay.

not true. i use siphoning attacks. i dont run out of mana in bossfights.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crescent wrote: »
    It's an oversight. They recently gave an explanation that skills are supposed to scale off the pool they use. Weaponskills should use weapon crit, anything else spell crit.

The issue is that this would nerf leather, melee specced nightblades by a lot.

That's good to hear because I've read extensive testing done that ALL Melee abilities + Bow + Staff Light/Heavy attack scale from Stamina, regardless of if it's morphed to a range attack or if it consumes Magicka to cast. Since reading that I thought it was really odd that 100% of NB's Melee abilities scale from Stamina but cost Magicka. At least they're aware of it. Now, I'm a Bow user on my NB so am 100% +Stam in my Attributes then I Glyph Magicka as my Stamina gets overcharged. I can say from my own personal testing that NB's Melee abilities do in fact scale from Stamina, at least for now.
  • tommipalub16_ESO
    tommipalub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    what are u talking...they dont 0o they stack from weaponcrit, armorpenetration but from spelldmg and Magicka. are u 100% sure that for example ambush makes more dmg if u have more stamina????
    Edit: i Testet it
    put off trousers with 72 magicka on em. my killersblade now does 201 DMG
    putting on trousers with 72 Stamina still 201 DMG
    putting on trousers with 72 Magicka again 203 DMG
    Edited by tommipalub16_ESO on April 30, 2014 11:37AM
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wear medium armor for the crit and other passives, enchant most of the pieces with Magicka, get a 3 piece Magnus set, 3 piece Warlock set, and get some good potions. Try to get the head, ring, and neck for the warlock set. This will let you wear 1 other light armor piece (belt) so you'll be 5 medium/2 light. Get your magicka regen up to the soft cap.

I have 1 skill slotted as a stamina dump that I use if I ever run out of Magicka. The skill changes depending on the situation and can go from whirlwind to flying blade to something from the fighters guild tree.
    Edited by Vuron on April 30, 2014 12:06PM
  • smercgames_ESO
    smercgames_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think the idea of "all class skills use magicka" to be a little stupid. I could see Siphoning skills using magicka no problem and Dark Cloak.. but something like Assassin's blade or Veil Strike (I'm sure i could list alot of DK abilities here too if I knew them) seem to be more like stamina skills to me. I find it rather annoying that since I want to be melee which means I probably should be Stamina that these skills aren't going to scale. I guess the animation shows I'm pulling a magical blade out of nowhere but it just feels strange.

Just like the idea that staff skills use magicka but their damage is based on stamina? In a way I can see they tried to "simplify" it by saying weapon skills = stamina and class skills = magicka for damage but then they throw in the who crits with what and staff skills use magicka and it just gets confusing.

What makes it even worse is the lack of feedback we get from anything in game and tooltips. Only reason I can tell how much damage I actually do is due to addons that who knows if they are 100% right. Might be able to look at the tooltips and see the change in base damage but with things like crit and spell pen you have no clue.

My vote would be, tie meleeish type skills to Stamina and Weapon dmg and have ranged abilities (bow excluded) tied to Magicka.
  • Selodaoc
    Selodaoc
    ✭✭✭
    I think Nb class skills should be Stamina.
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think the idea of "all class skills use magicka" to be a little stupid. I could see Siphoning skills using magicka no problem and Dark Cloak.. but something like Assassin's blade or Veil Strike (I'm sure i could list alot of DK abilities here too if I knew them) seem to be more like stamina skills to me. I find it rather annoying that since I want to be melee which means I probably should be Stamina that these skills aren't going to scale. I guess the animation shows I'm pulling a magical blade out of nowhere but it just feels strange.

Just like the idea that staff skills use magicka but their damage is based on stamina? In a way I can see they tried to "simplify" it by saying weapon skills = stamina and class skills = magicka for damage but then they throw in the who crits with what and staff skills use magicka and it just gets confusing.

What makes it even worse is the lack of feedback we get from anything in game and tooltips. Only reason I can tell how much damage I actually do is due to addons that who knows if they are 100% right. Might be able to look at the tooltips and see the change in base damage but with things like crit and spell pen you have no clue.

My vote would be, tie meleeish type skills to Stamina and Weapon dmg and have ranged abilities (bow excluded) tied to Magicka.

I have to agree melee abilities(bow as well) should scale off stamina regardless of what resource they cost to activate, having this incoherent mix of what applies to what with no info on it til after you've bought and tested it makes no sense.
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Selodaoc wrote: »
    I think Nb class skills should be Stamina.

Wed be screwed then.

P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Kratork
    Kratork
    ✭✭
    my nightblade is softcap on magica, 5 medium, 2 light, warlock set on 2 ring and neck, works fine, the only doubt I have is if using dual sword or dagger... is the crit damage from the dual wiled passive for dagger still bugged?

I like the way it is, I can stack for magica and use passive to boost weapon speed and damage then still have lot of stamina for swapping weapon(bow)/roll dodge etc etc
    best of the 2 world seems good to me.
  • Selodaoc
    Selodaoc
    ✭✭✭
    Does the weapon dmg set bonuses affect class skills?