The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

No Dungeon XP...

Torasi
Torasi
✭✭
Let be honest, nerfing Dungeon experience could easily be one of the worst decisions that ZOS has made. ESO is a fantastic game and every other aspect of the game in my opinion is doing quite well for the game being this young, couple bugs here and there but that's to be expected.

I made a Templar healer toon the other day, and then notice that running through Dungeons is rendered useless after the first run and you complete whatever quest coincides with the Dungeon. It makes being a healer or a Tank somewhat, well pointless. I know of course we need healers and tanks for PvP groups and other raids and what not, but it makes me sad that the Dungeons offer no experience.

I think that this was a poor choice on ZOS' part and they should re-look this subject and possibly make the dungeon XP a thing again, because this is extremely discouraging.

Any insight is welcome. Anything I have overlooked, please let me know.
"Only the proud and mighty dare to follow the ways of Talos"
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree.

Hoever dungeons do give xp. Just so little that it would litteraly take somewhere in the 1,000 run range to level up in a regular dungeon. Not bad at the VR ranks, as they do grant reasonable amounts of VP, tho still VERY LOW xp.

However being a tank or healer in this game doesn't really mean the same as other games. You really should be able to dps WHILE performing those actions in ESO, and thus, it is still fun and has purpose. (Especially a tank, less so a healer, but they should still be using their basic attack)
    Edited by Axer on April 29, 2014 2:16PM
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone I know has left the game over this.

Not everyone plays mmos to endlessly solo quest. I'd say we'd return if they fixed it, but there's too much on the horizon. I fear ESO is missing it's window.
  • cbartel87b16_ESO
    Gohlar wrote: »

Not everyone plays mmos to endlessly solo quest. I'd say we'd return if they fixed it, but there's too much on the horizon. I fear ESO is missing it's window.

Yep, I left for the exact reason. I'm still checking the Forums if anything has changed.. but nothing - even no official statement?!
    I'll stop checking the Forums aswell in short
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I left for the exact reason. I'm still checking the Forums if anything has changed.. but nothing - even no official statement?!

Good luck with that. I've been testing since July and have been in PTS for 6 months and almost every patch and change since I started has forced players to quest more and more. PvP, dungeons, mob grinding, repeatable quests, etc. have all slowly had their xp nerfed into dust in order to force every player to go through the quest lines.

• Volkoth
    Volkoth
    ✭✭
    Vuron wrote: »

Good luck with that. I've been testing since July and have been in PTS for 6 months and almost every patch and change since I started has forced players to quest more and more. PvP, dungeons, mob grinding, repeatable quests, etc. have all slowly had their xp nerfed into dust in order to force every player to go through the quest lines.
    /truth, the nerfs have put this game into the SWG arena of bonehead developer decisions.
  • thesmulf
    thesmulf
    i truely believe they will wake up and fix this, after they saw how many players had to grind for 2-3 levels to get 50, because they skipped some pve content, I myself didnt suffer from this problem but did do everything from 1-50 and dungs, and first hit 50, while still need half the area. /coldharbour..

I don´t think they will let it stay like that. currently the xp state is broken both low and VR levels
  • ThePedroKid
    ThePedroKid
    Soul Shriven
    Dungeons are what I play for.

I really don't care about all the grinding. I like big boss battles with small groups.

I was elated when I found I could get a few levels doing dungeons while in Alik'r... then, yesterday, I couldn't figure out why i wasn't getting any xp running dungeons in Bangkorai. Now, I know.

One of the worst dev decisions I've seen in an MMO and I've played them since the 90's. Seriously? No xp for killing mobs in dungeons?? REALLY?!

What kind of idiot thinks like this. I've lost all faith in the development of this game at this point.
  • Punche
    Punche
    There needs to be more mob xp from pre-VR dungeons, especially since they are increasing the amount of xp for VR mobs.
  • jimibee68preeb18_ESO

"everyone you know" - why talk such utter, transparent non-sense??? Seriously mate, pull the other one!
  • kristiannyman88b16_ESO
    Not really sure about pre Veteran.

However at VR6+ the fastest exp comes from dungeons. I get about 300-350k exp per run which takes <20min with a good group. That's about 3 times higher compared to questing.

Most of the exp comes from bosskills and finishing the dungeon.
    Edited by kristiannyman88b16_ESO on May 1, 2014 5:10AM
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭

"everyone you know" - why talk such utter, transparent non-sense??? Seriously mate, pull the other one!

You think it's unusual to have friends and enjoy more challenging group content?

Well, you'll be right at home here in ESO.
  • Xaltotun
    Xaltotun
    ✭✭
    I do admit I find this odd, just as I also find the xp nerf bat also being taken to exploration and PvP odd. I enjoy questing and running dungeons so this isn't really an issue for me...that being said, I fail to see what the harm is in letting people gain levels through PvP or dungeons or whatever manner they wish.
  • Noth
    Noth
    ✭✭✭✭
    They did this because group dungeons were allowing insane leveling speeds, even faster that the mob grinding in the over world now.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noth wrote: »
    They did this because group dungeons were allowing insane leveling speeds, even faster that the mob grinding in the over world now.

And there is apparently no middle ground between completely OP and worthless.

You'd fit right in at Zenimax.
  • Noth
    Noth
    ✭✭✭✭

Even with a middle ground there will always be complainers complaining that their preferred method of leveling isn't as good as others. As a developer you cannot make everyone happy, thus you make choices and those choice don't satisfy everyone.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭

Even with a middle ground there will always be complainers complaining that their preferred method of leveling isn't as good as others. As a developer you cannot make everyone happy, thus you make choices and those choice don't satisfy everyone.

Removing exp from group content was a choice that benefited nobody and made a lot of people unhappy.

Stop being obtuse.
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭

Nonsense. I would like to run dungeons a few times at least. With the current system I run once. It's a shame really.
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    After years of playing SWG, L2, Aion, WOW, and other mob grinder option games, I'm no stranger to grinding and can do it easily. I consider it a much needed thing in open dungeons. Before the nerf it kept me at or above level, gave me plenty of soul gems to use, gold to spend, and equipment without crafting which I rarely do in games anyway.

Looks like the rails are questing only then pvp only. They are so concerned with players leveling quickly and leaving that they don't realize that most players who level quickly also enjoy leveling through every class with alts then settling down for the long haul. I still play MMO's that I reveled quickly in because they continue to add solo pve content and/or allow players to return to earlier levels to grind additional skill points.
    Edited by 7788b14_ESO on May 4, 2014 10:43PM
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

goodbye!
  • Torasi
    Torasi
    ✭✭
    This is most certainly a problem, but I think that leaving the game because of it is just plain and simply childish and you shouldn't play the game anyway.
    "Only the proud and mighty dare to follow the ways of Talos"
  • Krohm
    Krohm
    ✭✭
    Torasi wrote: »
    This is most certainly a problem, but I think that leaving the game because of it is just plain and simply childish and you shouldn't play the game anyway.

And how else in a capitalist society do you get a company's attention, if enough people leave due to bad game design decisions made by the devs, things will change.
  • drogon1
    drogon1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow so depressed to discover this. I was wondering why instances generated so little xp and now I know why.

I am vet MMO player and this will be a deal-breaker for me. Questing is fun and well and good....but instances for me are a lot more fun and challenging. If I am limited to running them once...then back to quest grinding, the fun in this game just went from a 9/10 to literally a 1/10.

I'm paid up for 3 months, but would never have done so if I had known in advance about this incredibly poor game/leveling mechanics.

I hope the devs fix this into a proper MMO.
  • csimons
    csimons
    Soul Shriven
    I have to agree with the majority here - I have had the game for 10 days and so far have been doing nothing but running errands all night for a bunch of random NPCs spouting shallow sob stories?

Take it from a fresh face; the first 7 days of play was great but if I wanted a single player ES game, I would re-play the epic single player sequels. Single player wise, ESO isn't even in the same league as them!

If you want to make an MMO then do it properly; focus on the 'Multi-player' bit - ITS WHAT WE'RE PAYING OUR SUBSCRIPTION FOR!!!
  • strongoakb14a_ESO
    strongoakb14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I will admit dungeon kill xp is horrible BUT the reasoning was to prevent people farming dungeons, like people were with the glitched bosses. My solution is, only allow XP once a day in a dungeon youve already completed. Wouldnt this help standard players burn still deter farming runs?