Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

1-Handed Mace and Shield Option Needed for Healers

blackweb
blackweb
✭✭✭✭
At this time, the only way to effectively regenerate magicka during combat is using a Restoration Staff. Yes, I know that we can get some magicka regen from other sources (gear, passives etc.) but the resto staff is the most effective means of regenerating magicka during combat.

Healers are extremely vulnerable with a resto staff equipped. There should be a 1-handed mace and shield option for healers. I am not sure exactly how this would work out in practice but something must be done.

My suggestions:

Ability to actively regenerate magica with a 1h mace through melee.
Scaled back healing buffs on a 1h mace.
Specialized shield abilities for healers such as a temporary block and mitigation buff or a knock-back.

Edit: Suggestions so far

Immovable
Class-based CC
Edited by blackweb on April 29, 2014 2:56PM
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭
    blackweb wrote: »
    Healers are extremely vulnerable with a resto staff equipped.

Why u think this changes with 1h/s? The only advantage u get is around 150 armor and 20% extra block mitigation. The problem is most healers have no time blocking trash pulls or boss attacks, they are quite busy casting heals. If u happen to see the large boss heavy attack, blocking at all is what helps u, not the extra 20%. Than again if the healer needs to block a heavy attack, maybe some none healer should slot a taunt skill.

What can help immensely is Immoveable, since it last quite long, gives u armor/resist and more importantly makes u immune to those pesky control skills, so u can keep on healing/moving. U also can just use your sta this way, which is otherwise wasted as healer.

What u really want to slot as healer, is some form of CC to get out of "***", which boils down to your class skills.
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not having this issues with my, dual resto staff, Templar healer in PvE. The following has helped me.

Consumables:
    • Food Buff
    • Potions

Gear:
    • Enchantments
    • Armor Set bonuses

Stats:
    • Spending stat points 1:1 Magicka:Health, while leveling

Skills
    • Breton racial skills
    • Light Armor skills
    • Fighters Guild, Circle of Protection uses stamina.
    • Resto Staff Passives increase healing efficiency.
    • Restoring Light passives are pretty good (Mending & Light Weaver.)
    • Rite of Passage uses Ulti not Magicka.
    • Morph to maximize Magicka efficiency (ex. Grand Healing -> Healing Springs OR Restoring Aura -> Repentance.)

Game Play:
    • You have one oh #@%$ button (Rushed Ceremony) and it should rarely be used. The rest is layering, positioning and anticipation.
    • Constantly reacting to situations is the quickest way to OOM.

Other:
    • Mundus Stone, The Mage

Hope others have some suggestions.
  • blackweb
    blackweb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good suggestions so far:

Immovable
    Various existing buffs
  • Celless
    Celless
    ✭✭✭
    Were you looking more for suggestions on how to heal and maintain magicka while using a 1H weapon and shield? For making yourself durable while using a restoration staff? Or just suggestions in general to promote a 1H and shield (in this case mace) healer playstyle for future consideration by Zenimax?

If it's Resto Staff, Fighter Guild's Circle of Protection offers some of that Armor and Spell Resist boost while consuming Stamina.

If it's a Mace and Shield, the closest thing I can think of that's not class-specific, using a reduced enchantment cooldown trait on a mace and then enchant the mace with the biggest Absorb Magicka glyph you can find.
  • blackweb
    blackweb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Celless wrote: »
    Were you looking more for suggestions on how to heal and maintain magicka while using a 1H weapon and shield? For making yourself durable while using a restoration staff? Or just suggestions in general to promote a 1H and shield (in this case mace) healer playstyle for future consideration by Zenimax?

All of the above.

I think adding 1h mace and shield to the Templar Restoring light spec might be interesting
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    You don't mean healers, you mean Templars.
  • blackweb
    blackweb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pyatra wrote: »
    You don't mean healers, you mean Templars.

I mean Templar healers.