Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Drinking Contest Feedback: recommend immediate removal

Thunder
Thunder
✭✭✭
The drinking contest is a terrible quest and should be removed from the game immediately.

ESO has incredibly clunky world interaction. It's extremely awkward to target small items requiring the player to reposition themselves in just the right place, looking from just the right angle, in order to be able to interact with many items. To further exacerbate the issue, the interaction is drunkenly sluggish, with grayed out interaction menus that take too long to go away when the player does find the proper position to stand and direction to look, leading them to believe further repositioning is required when it is not. Leaving the player continuously fumbling around until they eventually stumble on the just the right combination of positioning and timing that make interaction possible.

This is easily the very worst aspect of the entire game. The vast majority of bugs in the game can all be traced back to this one aspect, clumsy world interaction.

The drinking contest quest in the Rift is like a showcase for just how awful world interaction is. To add insult to injury, it's timed.

The quest is entirely pointless. The player does nothing more than click on a keg and food. It's as if the entire point of its existence is to frustrate players and shine a spotlight on the truly awful world interaction of ESO.

Keep in mind, this is coming from a fan of ESO. I found the quest so frustrating I nearly logged out after my 3rd attempt failed. For players that are on the fence this would surely tip them to the other side.

Although world interaction in ESO is indeed truly awful, it is also generally sparse enough as to not to be overwhelming, the odd dungeon door lever here or quest interactable there. ESO should endeavor to eliminate or camouflage this tremendous shortcoming of the game as much as possible in the future and remove or entirely rework content that showcases it.
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    This IS stupid. You're forced to drink 3 times and then eat as the keg is then un-useable??!! and following this pattern you don't have time to eat and then drink the last 1. Half the time I'm running from keg to table while drinking and from table to keg while eating. Half the time I'm suddenly thrown outside next to the river and fall over there??!! The timer still has 30sec on it. wtf. I can't get back to complete within remaining time then. And it says I've lost anyway?? but the timer is still counting down - wtf?? And I agree that you can't select the table unless you're in just the right spot. Wasted sooo much time on this.

Is this quest bugged or what???
  • Silverglass66
    Silverglass66
    Soul Shriven
    There is a technique to the quest, in fact after 3 drinks you can drink again, you just have to wait until the character stops vomiting. The solution is to work out the best way to get 10 drinks in with the minimum amount of visits to the food table.
  • scriber
    scriber
    This definitely was a pain in the butt - though I ended up finding a 'quest' that frustrated me even more... racing those dang lizards! At least with the drinking I sort of felt like I had some control, some ability to mix things up, whereas the racing lizards just seemed to do their own thing with no pattern or consequence of input that I could work out. Eventually worked, but I was left scratching my head about why that even was.

The pattern I ended up using for drinking was something like 3 drinks, food, 3 drinks, food, 4 drinks. I've seen a lot of different combinations said to be successful so perhaps it is in fact as random as the lizards. :P The world interaction did end up being a pain for sure, though. Couple attempts was me picking up the food on the table like a dummy, as opposed to 'interacting' with the table like a good kitty.
    Edited by scriber on June 16, 2014 2:53PM
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one quest that I abandoned with no regrets. Monumentally stupid idea, terrible implementation. In a game sorely lacking in challenging puzzles, this one isn't even clever.
  • Gigglesnort
    Gigglesnort
    ✭✭✭
    Took me twice to complete it, didn't seem to challenging, used the same pattern as stated above. 3 drinks, food 3 drinks, food, etc.
    OIIIIIIIO

Death is only the beginning
  • Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    ✭✭✭
    Nords drink, its part of the lore!
    BLA BLA BLA :'( Go smack 100.000 vet12 mudcraps for level, this one is for lore friends.
    Great Work Zenimax! was fun and very nordish guest.
    3 Beers, 1 bread, 3 Beers , 1 bread, 2 Beers, 1 bread, 1 beer
    1 MacGyver 1 Duct Tape
    Edited by Anu_Saukko_Tutkija on August 11, 2014 10:43AM
    /\:__:/\
    (。 ◕‿‿ ◕).
  • kenpachi480
    kenpachi480
    ✭✭✭
    you drink 3. eat, drink 4, eat, drink 3 (need 10 times right? )

completed it last week. in 2 tries. admit that the interaction with the dinner table was hard. but not imposible
    Pain and Dead are the cost to the enjoyment of Battle

Captain Otter Wildwater - DK - V12 - EP
    GoS Vassal - Templar - V16 - EP
    Captain Izanagi Tsukiko - Sorc - still lvling - EP

Best selfclaimed Healer of Ebonheart Pact NA