The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Please dont make ESO F2P

Xnemesis
Xnemesis
✭✭✭✭
Please don't make ESO F2P I cant afford a F2P game :(
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is still far away from a F2P state mate.

And, yesterday i did see something that made me think , it might not even go F2P.

While we PC gamers got tons of MMOs to pick from , this is not the case for consoles , so if they make a good job there , it might keep the game P2P even after 1 year.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Qutayba
    Qutayba
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they do well enough that it doesn't come to that. But if it does, it's not the end of the world. The Secret World went F2P, and they still add content packs (that you pay for: once). Not as many or as often as if they didn't go F2P, but going F2P doesn't necessarily mean a game will become exploitative in the cash department.
  • pbass
    pbass
    It should be f2p their customer service is that lacking. From day one been trying to get help and nothing.
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The day it goes F2P will be the day I stop playing ESO, its one of the main reasons I bought the game, and if someday there are no sub games left then that will be the day I stop playing online games.
    Edited by Reevster on April 28, 2014 7:26PM
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll go F2P at some point (they all do these days).. but I'll keep hope that it'll be years down the line, and I can get my sub on for a good time before then :)
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I know is once Rift went F2P the game went south. And TBH you wind up paying for things you should get for free, and spend more than 15$ a month. I cant afford to pay anymore than 15$ a month just to stay competitive.
  • Kiash
    Kiash
    ✭✭✭
    I agree OP. I can't afford a "free" to play game. They cost about twice as much as a standard sub game to stay on par.

I wouldn't worry about it, with it still not out for consoles yet and the zones swollen to the point of people complaining there are too many players it looks like it's going to stay P2P thankfully.

I'd probably be gone as well if it went F2P unless they gave the original purchasers some massive in game bonuses.
  • Rickey
    Rickey
    I dont think this game is going f2p. However, I honestly do not think it's current state is worth the $15 a month.
  • loudent
    loudent
    ✭✭✭
    The consoles are a bit of a wildcard. ESO will be a relatively unique offering to them, but you're talking about an entire demographic that is not used to paying subscription fees. The F2P model would actually work better for consoles who are used to paying for "DLC".

I think ESO currently suffers for it's decision to support consoles which happens in their SP games a well. However, the SP games can be modded to overcome those challenges while ESO can not. I think ESO, on PC, will slowly wither away.

The question is whether or not the console gamers embrace it and are willing to pay 15 a month
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    If it ever does, it will be 2 years down the line, I expect they will have everything running nice and smoothly in that time so it won't be a consideration.
  • Moraisu
    Moraisu
    This game is the only MMO for The Xbox One, so yes, there is a stable market to support this game, now for the Playstation IV you have Final Fantasy XIV and that's a lot cheaper.
  • Makiaveli
    Makiaveli
    Rickey wrote: »
    I dont think this game is going f2p. However, I honestly do not think it's current state is worth the $15 a month.

Pretty much agree. Got into the game recently (still in my free month) and already the people I joined to play with are saying once their 3 month package is used up they may bail.

If things don't improve, I may very well cancel after the month I've already paid for and just wait and see what happens.

• neocomab16_ESO
    neocomab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This game is still far away from a F2P state mate.

And, yesterday i did see something that made me think , it might not even go F2P.

While we PC gamers got tons of MMOs to pick from , this is not the case for consoles , so if they make a good job there , it might keep the game P2P even after 1 year.

you know the division is coming for consoles? I dont see ESO compete with division. not even though the genre is different.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda's marketing exec, Pete Hines, did a review with Gamespot pre-launch, wherein he alluded that they have no interest in a free-to-play model. Instead, the inference I've drawn is that they'll consider all options if the game fails in the market, but otherwise the subscription is here to stay.
    "If we're providing the kind of content people want to see where they're like 'This is awesome, I'm having a blast, this new stuff is totally worth it and I’m having fun', then the subscription totally works," he said. "If we're putting out stuff that doesn't make a case for it then we have a problem on our hands and we have failed to meet that value proposition."
    Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/elder-scrolls-online-s-subscription-based-model-is-the-right-decision/1100-6418686/
    Edited by Sarenia on April 29, 2014 12:48AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Varivox9
    Varivox9
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike the game, but F2P is the wrong choice. IMO, if they are smart, they'll start trying to figure out why people are leaving and fix those issues to get them to come back rather than go the F2P route.
  • Rapscallion74
    Rapscallion74
    ✭✭✭
    I dont want the game to go F2P either, but I fear it is inevitable. ZOS simply does not have their act together and I fear it's going to bite them in the butt.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont want the game to go F2P either, but I fear it is inevitable. ZOS simply does not have their act together and I fear it's going to bite them in the butt.
    What makes you say this?

They've been extremely forthright and transparent about their efforts to address known issues, from bots to bugs. They've even had GMs manually making rounds through dungeons to ban bots in front of people, in recent days.

Additionally, I saw a lot of earnest passion in the State of the Game Address that Matt Firor gave. It's unusual to see such a human response from a large company like Zenimax, but certainly not a bad thing.

All evidence I see suggests that the developers of this game have a vested interest in seeing it succeed for more than monetary reasons.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    I still firmly believe that consoles will be a massive winner for Zeni. PC's made up 14% of total sales for Skyrim, consoles made up the rest.

So realistically the market is much larger for them on consoles based upon these numbers.

I do not think it will go F2P, the day it does is the day that Zeni finished listening to the feedback from it's player, and by feedback I mean, constructive feedback not,

" this isn't WOW, make it like WoW or I rage/quits" type of feedback.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 29, 2014 1:01AM
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Rapscallion74
    Rapscallion74
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    What makes you say this?

They've been extremely forthright and transparent about their efforts to address known issues, from bots to bugs. They've even had GMs manually making rounds through dungeons to ban bots in front of people, in recent days.

Additionally, I saw a lot of earnest passion in the State of the Game Address that Matt Firor gave. It's unusual to see such a human response from a large company like Zenimax, but certainly not a bad thing.

All evidence I see suggests that the developers of this game have a vested interest in seeing it succeed for more than monetary reasons.

I agree that they seem to be sincere in their communications. It's just that I have lost any confidence I had in them. They just seem inept to me, and by the time they get on top of everything, I fear it will be too little too late. Just my opinion.
    Edited by Rapscallion74 on April 29, 2014 1:04AM
  • Rajani Isa
    Qutayba wrote: »
    I hope they do well enough that it doesn't come to that. But if it does, it's not the end of the world. The Secret World went F2P, and they still add content packs (that you pay for: once). Not as many or as often as if they didn't go F2P, but going F2P doesn't necessarily mean a game will become exploitative in the cash department.
    And if it wasn't for NCSoft's Anti-Super Hero bias, City of Heroes would still be going strong and it had converted to free to play w/ a sub option.
  • Arundo
    Arundo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it stays sub, I played GW2 from release until ESO. Sure you have to buy the game to play but for the rest its F2P. Anyway I still havent seen any expansion plans for GW2, all we got in 1,5 years were the living stories which you completed in one night and were only tiny additions to the game.

I hope ESO with the sub model gets quarterly or yearly updates with new zones to adventure through.
  • DawnsRain
    DawnsRain
    I as well hope ESO never goes free to play. It's an amazing game that will only get better. It's the most fun I have had with a MMORPG in a long, long time. I feel the day it goes free to play (again which I hope never) is the day we say goodbye to the quality material that is present in the game and the future massive retail expansions packs that will add huge new lands and features with lots of work and effort put into them.

Keep ESO P2P

Oh and please hurry up and add Vvardenfell :D
    Edited by DawnsRain on April 29, 2014 6:14AM
  • LatherionW
    I agree!!

Please keep ESO P2P

This truly is an awesome game and I think if the game went F2P it would die! As I have seen...we all have seen with other MMO's!

As for people complaining about customer service...I dunno what to say...My experience with customer service has been wonderfull so far! I really have no complains!

Great job Zenimax/Bethesda
    Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour.
  • Avidus
    Avidus
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has much win in it.
    I also cannot afford F2P.

I cannot afford to give me time, or my care to a F2P.

So in short, F2P won't get my attention.
    B2P makes me turn my back
    P2P.. You can have my organs once my wallet is empty.
  • IronMaiden_burnout
    IronMaiden_burnout
    ✭✭✭
    If it goes F2P soon it will be to combat the mega BOT problem we have here. By going F2P it would kill off a good 90% of the online gold markets for this game. leaving the rest of them to scrounge whatever people are not buying from the cash shops.
    F2P models are a gold sellers nightmare, so look to this happening much sooner than you all think because as it is, they will never win this fight.
    Edited by IronMaiden_burnout on May 8, 2014 9:53AM
  • Avidus
    Avidus
    ✭✭✭
    No game has ever won the fight against goldsellers, because its a fight against players.
    You cant fight people who want to throw money at things instead of playing.
    We as a community should not be blaming ZoS for them, because its the fault of the community that such things exist.
  • LatherionW
    Avidus wrote: »
    So in short, F2P won't get my attention.
    B2P makes me turn my back
    P2P.. You can have my organs once my wallet is empty.

Completely agree!

F2P, P2W and B2P would make me turn my back!
    Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour.
  • IronMaiden_burnout
    IronMaiden_burnout
    ✭✭✭
    Avidus wrote: »
    No game has ever won the fight against goldsellers, because its a fight against players.
    You cant fight people who want to throw money at things instead of playing.
    We as a community should not be blaming ZoS for them, because its the fault of the community that such things exist.

Yes of course it is, but wheel it the way you want when a game goes F2P and erects a cash shop, those players end up throwing there money at the shop instead of taking chances at illegal transfers.
    So yes there will still be some gold sellers and a few bots but it will dramatically reduce them.
    The game as it is , is broken because of the hackers. Everywhere i turn there is an invisible teleporting hacker bot or simply hordes of them farming. It is totally ruining me and my friend's gameplay to the point that we are considering dropping our subs!
    Edited by IronMaiden_burnout on May 8, 2014 10:38AM
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not so worried about the pay model as long as the play is fun, the ui is intuitive and the roadblocks are few. ESO is hitting at about 50% there IMO.

I will agree that f2p is actually the most expensive of the models if you want convenience and is probably my least favorite method.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • LarZen
    LarZen
    ✭✭✭
    If it goes F2P I will just go and buy a good RPG game instead and forget I ever heard the words Elder Scrolls Online.