The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Unstable Clannfear vs Volitile Familiar

Kyosji
Kyosji
✭✭✭
This is the question I must ask, which is more beneficial? How much damage does each actually do, and how much more health does the Clannfear have over the familiar?

I currently run with the Clannfear, and I enjoy using him, but I figure that the Familiar may be a better option for solo play. He is supposed to deal 20% AoE damage of my max Magika upon death, which at this point is around 300 damage at level 36, and it stuns for 2 seconds. Definitely enough time to summon another. It also helps me notice when my summon actually dies.

So, does the actual damage between the two identical? Also, what is the health difference really between the two?
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I would say it depends on how much you need the tank and how much you use the restoration staff. I went to a respec shrine and reset my familiar to clanfear because I always use a restoration staff while soloing. I found myself having to explode the familiar manually to much.

As far as DPS goes I think they are the same since their damage is based on your max magicka. The clanfear has more health and/or armor...I think.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • NukaCola
    NukaCola
    ✭✭✭
    I run the Familiar and i can recommend it. I run the Empowered ward with it and it has been able to tank all the VR1 bosses so far while dealing more damage than the clannfear.
  • Valmond
    Valmond
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really use summons anymore since Coldharbour.
    But whenever i hit a bigger hard hitting mobs like storm attronachs, i pull out my trusty Clannfear and Restoring Twilight.
    Equip a healy staff, and just let them kill the boss as i act as a healer.
    Clannfear might not do huge dps (that's what the Twilight is for), but if healed, it can tank pretty well.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the % difference in the clannfear vs familiar?
  • Rajani Isa
    As far as DPS goes I think they are the same since their damage is based on your max magicka. The clanfear has more health and/or armor...I think.

While all summons use Max magicka as their damage stat, they can be set to scale differently off that stat.
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    At below level 10 I got both the clannfear and the twilight. I never found the twilight as effective but i love my clannfear as a tank. I keep trying to remove him and put two other abilities where he was but i die much more often with out him even at vet ranks. i usely replace him with mage light. I mainly play sole pve, never use him in pvp but occasionally keep him on the bar if i am just shards hunting in cyrdill. He is buggy but i like the new attack command alot, but sometimes he does bug out.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I went for the clanfear myself, but was reading a post by somebody who went for the unstable familiar. He lets it get close to mobs and detonates it, causing huge damage, then resummons it immediately. This might chew up Magicka a bit though.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero patience for a tank pet and the reliance on crap pathing. I also like playing a build in pvp as close to a pvp bulk as possible. I use volatile familiar and love it.

I play 5 medium, 2 light with 2h+resto staff. Very much a caster melee. Vfam works brilliantly as an on demand aoe and stun. Keeping magicka around overcharge is more than enough damage for it. It can off tank fine and if it blows up ... ohnoes! It's supposed to.

In group play nobody has the patience for pets. Vfam is more a tool on demand than a pet. I posted this elsewhere but some tips for it:

1. I have Vfam on 2h bar and Overload bar but not on resto bar. If needing to gain distance and heal swapping to resto it automatically blows up the pet so hitting weapon swap turns into an aoe stun.
    2. You can used more Sorc powers in 2h rotations using 2h bar and Overload bar. It is more reliable as a second bar than weapon swap as it has less delay. Using a melee skill from Overload automatically swaps you back to melee bar. Great place to stick buffs too to free up second weapon bar for other skills.
    3. Blowing up Vfam can be done when you are cc'd! You get stunned? Well you can still aoe damage and stun back.
    Edited by Tamanous on July 9, 2014 12:45AM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @kyosji, Clanfear works like a champ and gets right in there...

Something to keep in mind, you can always break out both summons regardless of what they are. Regardless of life, dps, armor...sometimes their key benefit is that they provide two other targets that are not you...

As long as one of them keeps ticking, you can usually have time to resummon the other. Just remember to move away from your twilight, as she tries to stay at a distance.

Personally, I was a little disappointed that you couldn't keep the Scamp and have the Clanfear (The Twilight's HP's just seem so low), but I am hopeful that they expand on the Summoning line at some point, whether with additional summons or buffs/skills for the summons.

There is much potential with Skeletons, Daedroths, Daedra, Wisps...then there are natural familiars: bears, wolves, foxes... Swarms of minors (rats, skeevers, wasps, spiders, bats) that would have fewer HP's but could show up en masse that could have interesting effects.

It shouldn't take an explosion to let you know your summon has passed, but until they give us a secondary health bar, an icon, or the ability to have your summon look somehow different than everyone elses, it's almost what it takes.

Passive rebate is worth sinking a couple points into.

Nothing worse than being in a good spot in a fight, going to resummon your assumed deceased familiar only to hear the scream and watch it dissipate before your eyes - usually right at the moment the boss looks up and says "Oh...I didn't realize you were over there..."
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally, I was a little disappointed that you couldn't keep the Scamp and have the Clanfear (The Twilight's HP's just seem so low), but I am hopeful that they expand on the Summoning line at some point, whether with additional summons or buffs/skills for the summons.

The Winged Twilight is a bit low on HP, but it's a much lighter magicka cost, and the Upgrade (Winged Matriarch I think) gives you emergency heals (always nice).
    Edited by AlexDougherty on July 15, 2014 2:21PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • emeraldbay
    emeraldbay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally chose the clannfear, because the familiar is annoying as heckie and the clannfear is a nice adventuring partner.
  • mark.markandb16_ESO
    Why choose one or the other? I have em both up together...best of both worlds
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The original question was about the Clanfear versus the Volatile Familiar, both of which are morphs for the Unstable Familiar, you can't have both.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • mark.markandb16_ESO

The original question was about the Clanfear versus the Volatile Familiar, both of which are morphs for the Unstable Familiar, you can't have both.

Oops...I thought we were comparing the tank pet to the dps pet...my bad :(
    Edited by mark.markandb16_ESO on July 18, 2014 1:56PM
  • gwynedds
    gwynedds
    ✭✭
    I may be a bit late but I just started a new character, an altmeri sorceress and choose the clannfear because of the healing but wasn't sure up to unhappy so I googled a bit about opinions (even though it was too late lol) but I've played with the clannfear for some time now and it's great.

If anyone has problems with choosing, the clannfear is definitely great. :smiley:
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think necroing posts may be against the forum rules. You should just make a new thread, not comment on a thread from 2014.
    Edited by dpencil1 on June 30, 2017 6:42AM
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    This is the question I must ask, which is more beneficial? How much damage does each actually do, and how much more health does the Clannfear have over the familiar?

I currently run with the Clannfear, and I enjoy using him, but I figure that the Familiar may be a better option for solo play. He is supposed to deal 20% AoE damage of my max Magika upon death, which at this point is around 300 damage at level 36, and it stuns for 2 seconds. Definitely enough time to summon another. It also helps me notice when my summon actually dies.

So, does the actual damage between the two identical? Also, what is the health difference really between the two?

Familiar for DPS, Clannfear for extra tankiness.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »

Familiar for DPS, Clannfear for extra tankiness.
    This, the clanfear is nice then questing at low levels, at high level its the scamp unless you solo world bosses or group dungeons, you can use the twilight for extra healing and keep the scamp.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    I think necroing posts may be against the forum rules. You should just make a new thread, not comment on a thread from 2014.
    Yes, I think it is. ... But then if you make a new thread, people will scream at you "USE THE SEARCH!!!" and "helpfully" post links to these old threads while saying "Search moar, noob!" LOL. So basically, no matter what you do, someone will be nasty. (Sometimes the posting of links isn't meant to be nasty, but sometimes it is.)

I started reading this thread again today not realizing it was necro'd, and it's still an interesting discussion. It's worth a second look.

*EDIT* I went looking through the forum rules to see if necroing threads was against the rules, and didn't see it. I know of a case where a mod locked an old thread that was necro'd, though, and they posted that we should create new threads instead.

Edited by SydneyGrey on July 3, 2017 7:12AM
  • jmrathbun
    jmrathbun
    Does anybody have the basic stats on Clannfear vs Familiar?

People who mainly run in groups seem to prefer the Familiar for its dps. I mostly solo at present, and the Clannfear made me feel like a one-man army with tanking and heals; I do plenty dps but am light on health and armor.

I haven't fully leveled the Familiar yet, and I need to refine my habits to match its needs. So far I've missed the heals from the Clannfear, and I've noticed that when I use the Familiar's damage boost it quickly pulls all the mobs off him and sics them on me.

Missing from the above discussion is info needed to calculate dps and survival time and other relevant parameters of these two options.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jmrathbun
    The damage difference between Clannfear and Familiar is night and day. Think of Familiar like a mobile Liquid Lightning that also stuns enemies. It's seriously the 2nd most powerful skill in the mSorc's kit. Clannfear damage is a joke. That's not what he's there for. He is a tank/healer. Use what suits you. If you prefer a more relaxed solo experience where the Clannfear keeps you safe, great. Nothing wrong with that. He's not appropriate in group play where your have actual people dedicated to tanking and healing.

Personally, I run the Familiar and the Twilight Matriarch. Using Daedric Prey buffs both of them, and the Matriach is powerful also, usually contributing about 7% of my total dps. So she provides the heals instead of the Clannfear. Yes, the mobs will attack you more, but you will kill them quickly and if you just use Empowered Ward before combat, trash mobs will never even get a chance to get to your health bar. Bosses are a little trickier, but it just takes getting used to balancing attacking and shielding at the appropriate times, and using the Matriach heal in "oh crap" moments.