Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Confused by Essence Drain on Restoration Staff

Nukeyak
Nukeyak
✭✭
This passive says on final hit of heavy attack it heals a nearby ally for 15% of damage done. What exactly is a "final hit"?, not exactly a killing blow. Which of my heavy attacks will trigger this passive? And which ally is healed, just random? Sounds like a useless passive to me, but I must be missing something. Thanks in advance anyone who can help me understand this!
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭
    If u did not know the resto staff heavy attack restores 10% magicka on the end of every heavy attack, so u should use heavy attacks anyway. The passive just adds a 15% healing from this attack to a "near" ally, i guess with the lowest hp.

"final hit" reflects that resto staff, does something special at the end of a heavy attack, so this healing happens on each heavy attack, like the mana restore.

Problem is a normal heavy attack does not this much damage, but since u heavy attack with resto staff anyway its worth it as bonus.
    Edited by Andy22 on April 28, 2014 3:10PM
  • Hexador
    Hexador
    From what I've seen restoration staffs are different from destruction staffs in that they really only have one attack type as opposed to two.

Destruction staffs have bolt attacks (light attacks/single click) and charged bolt attacks (heavy attack/held click).

Restoration staffs have what I like to call a channeled attack (one long click). You will notice that the beam from your resto staff does damage 3 times (not a definite number but I am pretty sure that is right) before reaching the end of the channel.

I am pretty sure essence drain uses the third instance of damage to determine the amount of healing done.
    Edited by Hexador on April 28, 2014 11:45PM
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭
    Hexador wrote: »
    I am pretty sure essence drain uses the third instance of damage to determine the amount of healing done.

Thats correct, but resto staff also has "normal" basic light attacks, that will result in a little bolt flying at your enemy. There is ofc normally little reasons to use those with resto staff, given all those "special" properties of a resto heavy attack.
  • tylarthb16_ESO
    tylarthb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    To give some numbers, my staff heavy attack ticks for 75~ dam, the last tick throws out a heal for 11/12, this is with 1 passive, its.. underwhelming.
    This is a V4 player levelling staff so a skill of 20~ .
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its just a little extra healing, its not meant to be a main heal.

As a Sorc who uses the resto staff primarily for Single Target DPS, I actually really appreciate this passive.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU