Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Question about Mage Guild ability "Entropy"

Ulvich
Ulvich
✭✭✭✭✭
According to the description this ability is as follows:

"Deals 175 magic damage over 13 seconds and restores 82 health to player every 6 seconds".

The other day I started leveling this ability on a VR1 just to see what it was about. So far the ability is up to "Entropy III". Unless I'm missing something this ability seems pretty worthless for a VR1. I have noticed that when I use this ability it does almost nothing. To give me 82 health over 6 seconds seems really pointless.
Is there something more to this ability, or is this it?
- Monster Slayer
- Savior of Nirn
- Adventurer Across a Decade
- Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often
- BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • MichaelD
    MichaelD
    This is it... it is a lame ability mostly because it needs 13 seconds to do the damage (at which point everything is dead, or it should be) and it applies the healing 2 times, one at the start (where probably the player isn't damaged yet) and one time at 6-7 seconds.
    It would be much better if it did 3-4 seconds to apply the damage and the heals. Also the passive of the mages guild where it increases the duration of abilities makes it even worse...
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. Well, if this is the case I'm going to stop using it. It seems pointless to have a slot occupied for an ability that does nothing.
    Thanks.
    - Monster Slayer
    - Savior of Nirn
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    It is nice if you kite a monster. Thunderstorm, and this spell combine both do DoT. Used that combo with the bat NM boss right before you enter the Library.

But besides using it to kite something it is pretty much useless.
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never use it... pretty useless imo.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    The point of the ability is to exacerbate the pain caused by respec pricing. Feel that burn?
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a bad ability. Think about it. 180 something damage, a direct damage skill does that instantly instead of over 13 seconds.

And 87 health every 6 seconds. That's really bad. Grand healing does that every second for 3 seconds.

Most Mages Guild offensive skills are kind of bad, people use the line for the buffs like mage light and spell symmetry.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The morph Degeneration of this ability gives you a 15% chance to have melee attacks against the enemy heal you for 115% of damage done. So with passives it is a cheap cast, increases max magicka and regen by 2%, buffs your next spell attack by 20%, and you heal up BIG TIME for doing weapon damage for 13.4 seconds. I didn't even mention the damage + heal the ability does on its own and it is already good.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    The morph Degeneration of this ability gives you a 15% chance to have melee attacks against the enemy heal you for 115% of damage done. So with passives it is a cheap cast, increases max magicka and regen by 2%, buffs your next spell attack by 20%, and you heal up BIG TIME for doing weapon damage for 13.4 seconds. I didn't even mention the damage + heal the ability does on its own and it is already good.

The skill does terrible damage, what are you talking about. The only reason for regen is the 15% chance to heal for 100% damage done, and that's such a small percent, it's only used as a sustained heal over a long time as it's not on demand.

You are much better off slotting something else.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please show me where I said the spell does good damage? You lack reading comprehension.

For me, with a crit surge heal melee build, that 15% chance to heal myself for anywhere from 150-1,500 HP is well worth it. The guaranteed dmg and heals it does with 20% boost to my next spell is icing on the cake.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, lets use Fire Rune as an example.

The Fire Rune itself is absolutely useless if you compare its damage to other abilities. It costs more and does less damage than Lightning Splash by nearly 100%, so why level it at all?
    The reason to level it is; its morph.

It can be morphed into Volcanic Rune, allowing you to throw your enemies up into the air if they step on it!
    Sure the original ability sucks, but you level it until it becomes more useful.
    EDIT: I have no idea what morphs Entropy has, for all I know those are useless too! ;)
    Edited by Terminus on April 28, 2014 6:47PM
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the upcoming Craglorn patch
    Entropy (and morphs): Significantly decreased the cost and increased the damage for this ability and its morphs.

The mages guild actually has some really nice utilities with a low magic cost.
    Mage Light: PvP must.
    Degeneration: Great for tanking due to the duration, low cost and heal on hit.
    Volcanic Rune: Amazing aoe CC, low cost with decent damage. Great for tanking pulls, and makes those 3mob solo fights easy mode.

Edited by Armitas on April 28, 2014 7:06PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Ulvich wrote: »

"Deals 175 magic damage over 13 seconds and restores 82 health to player every 6 seconds".

The other day I started leveling this ability on a VR1 just to see what it was about. So far the ability is up to "Entropy III". Unless I'm missing something this ability seems pretty worthless for a VR1. I have noticed that when I use this ability it does almost nothing. To give me 82 health over 6 seconds seems really pointless.

I think a 20% snare would fix this ability nicely. All in favor, say "Aye"! All opposed? Say nothing, nobody like you!

• Code2501
    Code2501
    ✭✭✭✭
    hoped to weave it in to a siphon NB build but its too weak at the moment. if the damage buff is significant the 20% spell damage buff from passive could make it useful for my build but for now I just specced out of it.
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that on the PTS, this ability got a decent buff for damage and heal!
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy22 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that on the PTS, this ability got a decent buff for damage and heal!
    This would be nice. maybe it will be worth using again.

- Monster Slayer
    - Savior of Nirn
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's disapointing, as I was very enthousiastic at the idea of having this ability to enhance my tanking build. As I'm using two bars for Shield+1 hander, one bar is more DPSish oriented, and the other more Protection oriented, and I'm using Entropy to heal myself when I quest and such, but I noticed as well that it wasn't very powerful.
    A pity, really!
  • GreasedLizard
    GreasedLizard
    ✭✭✭
    It syncs with a Siphoning Strike, Hasted DW regen loadout amazingly (Degeneration Morph). The 'Might of the Guild' buff can be used to make your Swallow Soul etc hit 20% harder. The extra MP from passive is alright as well.

<3 Volcanic Rune

• Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please show me where I said the spell does good damage? You lack reading comprehension.

For me, with a crit surge heal melee build, that 15% chance to heal myself for anywhere from 150-1,500 HP is well worth it. The guaranteed dmg and heals it does with 20% boost to my next spell is icing on the cake.

Read your last sentence in that post. Maybe you just have a crappy memory or don't actually revise what you say.

And the chance that on that 15% hit you'll happen to land a crit is minuscule. Read up on your statistics.

The heal from the ability is every 6 seconds, and heals for less than a single tick of Grand Healing. That's really bad.

In fact, you'll heal for far more just using siphon from the resto staff instead and using light attacks.

There's a reason why the ability is getting buffed in the PTS, and it's because it's bad.

Most DoT skills in this game are terrible.
    Edited by Crescent on April 29, 2014 7:51PM
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually ambush into melee hit degen and swallow soul while in the air then use cloak and concealed weapon that takes one enemy from 100% to dead in 3 seconds.
  • Adena
    Adena
    Xnemesis wrote: »
    I usually ambush into melee hit degen and swallow soul while in the air then use cloak and concealed weapon that takes one enemy from 100% to dead in 3 seconds.
    Then you are wasting the majority of your dot? If the mob really dies that fast might as well cast something that is DD not a DOT.

• Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the morph degeneration for tanking, along with siphoning strikes it works pretty well. As far as an offensive spell, it's currently worthless.
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • canghai
    canghai
    ✭✭✭
    i think this works on multiple units, so if u stack a few of these up the heal can add up
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crescent wrote: »

Read your last sentence in that post. Maybe you just have a crappy memory or don't actually revise what you say.

And the chance that on that 15% hit you'll happen to land a crit is minuscule. Read up on your statistics.

The heal from the ability is every 6 seconds, and heals for less than a single tick of Grand Healing. That's really bad.

In fact, you'll heal for far more just using siphon from the resto staff instead and using light attacks.

There's a reason why the ability is getting buffed in the PTS, and it's because it's bad.

Most DoT skills in this game are terrible.

In that last sentence of my original post I said the spell is already good even without considering the damage or the automatic heal ticks it does. Who said I need a crit to go a long with my 15% chance to heal on melee damage? It is just an additional chance to heal on damage. It is even better on heals because it is 115% damage healed instead of 65%. On top of that, it adds awesome passives and buffs my next spell.

My tank is 1h + shield and dual wield. I sustain my HP on single target boss fights with crit surge, degeneration, and my go to healer will always have siphon running. It works out quite well.

It is funny that in reply to a post where I question your reading comprehension, you made two clear reading comprehension errors.
  • Hesperant
    Hesperant
    Soul Shriven
    Crescent wrote: »

The skill does terrible damage, what are you talking about. The only reason for regen is the 15% chance to heal for 100% damage done, and that's such a small percent, it's only used as a sustained heal over a long time as it's not on demand.

You are much better off slotting something else.

One of the great benefits is an instant cast and you can hit multiple targets (one at a time).. This healing starts to add up while the cost is not that excessive. This is not a big damage ability nor a giant leach ability. It scales with your activity and has a fairly long range.
  • Dimillian
    Dimillian
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have a solid tank build as a sorc. Degeneration + Critical surge are big big self heal.
    Believe me, when you do 190+ melee damage and that it heals you for 115% of those damage, this is awesome.
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

You need too get the healing morph, for my class it offers allot of heals
  • canghai
    canghai
    ✭✭✭
    can someone confirm the healing proc works on multiple targets? if so its a great spell
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    canghai wrote: »
    can someone confirm the healing proc works on multiple targets? if so its a great spell

It works on mult targets but if you apply it too more then 3 at a time you waisting mana because you can't manage that many at a time works when you get into a oh *** mode and your tanking 5 adds with low dps will pull you through those kinds of fights...also it's getting a damage buff in crag horn.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll chuck Degeneration on my S&B bar sometimes and it's growing on me. I pair it up with Swallow Soul, Reapers Mark & Killers Blade. Along with the Imperial trait Red Diamond, I got self heals going off everywhere! If Leeching Strikes wasn't bugged, I might've considered using that over Siphoning Attacks too, but maybe that's overkill.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alone is not very powerful. But it's cheap and seems to stack nicely with my other abilities so I like it, at least so far.