Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Mages' Wrath I - stuck

Zuldaris
Zuldaris
Soul Shriven
I'm at rank 1 and about 65% towards rank 2 and the bar will NOT move. I spam this ability most fights, and already have Storm Calling up to rank 21, unlocking the next 2 abilities after Mages Wrath I. So there is no reason it shoudln't move. I've used Crystal Shard now and then and its at rank IV. So what gives?
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, skills don't level as you use them, they level as you gain experience. You don't need to spam it to level it like you did in Skyrim. The biggest boost to you skill rank will actually come from simply having them on your bar when you hand in quests.

Secondly, morphed skill like Mages Wrath level much slower then unmorphed skills. It takes ages (i.e. tens of character levels) to max rank.
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Teloran wrote: »
    Secondly, morphed skill like Mages Wrath level much slower then unmorphed skills. It takes ages (i.e. tens of character levels) to max rank.

If more skills in the storm calling line were slotted would Mages Wrath level faster or do they only affect the advancement of the storm calling line? @Teloran‌

Edited by Khazaad on April 28, 2014 5:37AM
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »

If more skills in the storm calling line were slotted would Mages Wrath level faster or do they only affect the advancement of the storm calling line? @Teloran‌

Mages Wrath will still level at the same rate but Stormcalling itself will level faster, allowing you to get higher level skills more quickly. I wouldn't bother trying to power level skills once you morph them but power leveling a line can be very handy. My Sorcerer had Surge at about lvl 20.
  • Sezmu
    Sezmu
    ✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »

Mages Wrath will still level at the same rate but Stormcalling itself will level faster, allowing you to get higher level skills more quickly. I wouldn't bother trying to power level skills once you morph them but power leveling a line can be very handy. My Sorcerer had Surge at about lvl 20.

My Sorc had impulse by level 20, I really wanted to unlock AOE asap for grinding and farming. I slotted almost my entire bar as destro staff to power level it. As the loading screen tips say, to level a skill line faster slot more abilities on you bar. You can even level say resto staff without ever actually using it. Just unlock an ability and slot it on the bar and level, it works the same for any weapon and class skill lines.

Tassilo - VR2 - Sorc
    Garibald - 16 - Templar