The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

VR Dungeons trash / AOE spam

thwl
thwl
I don't know what others think about this - have heard some are in the same boat - but I'm wondering if spamming one spell over and over again until you get to the boss is "acceptable" game design.

Actually, let me go ahead and call it BAD game design. Lazy game design.

The only AOE-IT-ALL-DOWN approach i would personally accept is when you're a vr10 doing a vr1 dungeon.

I'm talking about the constant AOE spam of course. Get rid of it. There is place for it of course such as: boss/mini-boss fight mechanics, trash skill checks that have to die really fast (ex. flying health globes, "ticking time bombs"), etc (constant AOE is not a skill check nor is it a sign of an ability to play the game well).
Edited by thwl on April 25, 2014 1:00PM
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to say they put 5000$ rims on a 800$ car? yes they need to do quite a bit of fixing on the end game design and itemization.
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea it is kind of rendering DKs as the master class - having the strongest aoe skills by far.

They could definetely do with some more super hard hitting single target trash that has to be tanked.
    Edited by Axer on April 26, 2014 11:00AM
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    lol it's called trash for a reason, why dont you just go whine on WoW forums telling them they killed every futrue MMO for nerfing content over and over and over again???

man get a life ppl AoE the trash for its the fastest way to kill the trash. if you could AoE a boss faster then Single target nuke it everyone would do that to. trash is trash, and just wait if you can pull more then one trash packs and AoE it down ppl will start to do that also.

so stop calling it poor design and whine over something that really matters like lack of endgame PvE content...
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that's by game design. If look at the trash composition, there's always a few mobs in there that's stronger than the rest.

I think the idea is that you're supposed to eliminate the biggest threats first whilst keeping the fodder busy, then AoE the fodder down.

But it seems to be a GW2-esque problem where the in reality the developer's ideas didnt work out.

Craglorn shows some promise though, banner men seems to fill that 'lethal mob' role well.
  • thwl
    thwl
    ESO fanboy wrote:
    lol it's called trash for a reason, why dont you just go whine on WoW forums telling them they killed every futrue MMO for nerfing content over and over and over again???

Don't bring up a vastly superior game like WoW in this discussion unless you want me to list the other failings of ESO in its current incarnation.

ESO, as it is right now, has no end game. VR content is a grind to give devs enough time to come out with "adventure" zones; this was known before the game was to be released, assuming you followed dev interviews and ESO's news page.

This game wont last if everyone is spamming impulse. Even my mechanical keyboard may bite the dust in the process.
    ESO fanboy wrote:
    man get a life ppl AoE the trash for its the fastest way to kill the trash

Right now its "AOE everything until the Boss." This was evident in pre-50 dungeons, which is fine because theres nothing worthy of discussion there, and should have been changed/improved upon by the time one gets to VR dungeons.
    Xaei wrote:
    Craglorn shows some promise though, banner men seems to fill that 'lethal mob' role well.

Yes, but this is only one instance out of how many? When ideas dont work out you go back to the drawing board or take from other successful games and implement them. Not copy/paste -- implement in a way that it fits ESOs universe and meta game.
    Edited by thwl on April 27, 2014 2:37PM
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    Xaei wrote: »
    I don't think that's by game design. If look at the trash composition, there's always a few mobs in there that's stronger than the rest.

I think the idea is that you're supposed to eliminate the biggest threats first whilst keeping the fodder busy, then AoE the fodder down.

But it seems to be a GW2-esque problem where the in reality the developer's ideas didnt work out.

IMHO that's the worst way to deal with multiple mobs. From my experience in mmo's mostly using aoe/rdps in raids/group dungeons we always CC the highest threat mobs while we burn down weaker mobs. The though process behind it is that the quicker you can burn down mobs that deal damage the easier time the healers will have. If you spend time and power to take down the harder targets then everyone is still taking full damage from all the mobs. If you burn down the weak ones then there's only a couple of hard targets dealing damage to your group.
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    THWL; roflmao... first you call WoW a superior game and then you whine over AoE grinding trash in ESO! are you really that clueless? if anything WoW have shown that AoE'ing trash in dungeons is the way players like you (thwl) wants it...