The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Player Housing

• Dirtybyrd
    Dirtybyrd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am guessing it will be sometime around Feb, 2015... But I am willing to wait it out, I believe they are going to make it really nice for us.Just think!! Skyrim "Player Housing"... with mods styles.. but in ESO :smiley:
    Dirtybyrd
  • abigfishy
    abigfishy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure that most Elder Scrolls players would love housing. It seems wried that right now my character lives in the bank.

This is how I think housing should work.

In each zone there is a house for sale. They start very cheap in the beginner zones maybe just a few thousand gold for a one room shack up to very expensive ones in the higher level areas.

Each house is instanced but people that group with you can visit your house.

Each house would have its own types of display storage just like in Skyrim. Weapon racks, display cases, mannequins and taxidermy stands. Lots of people LOVED decorating their homes. The cheaper homes would naturally have less options that the expensive ones and you would have to buy the things you wanted.

Each house would have options for installing crafting stations. Perhaps the cheapest ones could just fit one and the best would have room for them all.

Each home should have a chest to keep things in perhaps starting with 10 spaces for a basic home but expandable for a cost and with different limits for different quality houses.
    Level 50 Characters
    USA
    Odette Skullcrusher Nord DK EP Tank
    Hannah Smithee Breton Templar DC Healer
    Charlotte of the Wild Bosmer NB EP DPS
    Rabbath Amman Dark Elf Sorc EP DPS
    Lovely Twinkle High Elf Sorc AD Tank
    Nepith Dark Elf Warden EP Healer
    Tupac Shakoor Redguard Sorc DC Tank
    Faire the Last Snow Elf Altmer Warden EP Ice Staff Tank
    EU
    Soul-Shriven Breton Sorc DC DPS
    Makush gro-Shurgal Orc DK DC Tank
    Cleopatra Tharn Imperial Sorc EP Healer
    Daenerys Targaryin Nord Templar DC Healer
    Zar Saarshar Khajiit NB DC Thief
    Celrith High Elf Sorc EP Assassin
    Falcar Dark Elf NB DC Necromancer
    Myriam Blaylock Breton NB EP Vampire
    Nivrillin Wood Elf NB DC Werewolf
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Different types of instances would be nice. I would like to have a house in a forest and be able to walk around the outside a little bit.
  • oldspook619
    oldspook619
    ✭✭
    Ultima online had player housing. There was always a housing shortage and the price of lots and houses went through the roof. They were even selling houses on ebay for real cash. I've seen large houses go for over $100 US.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    abigfishy wrote: »

I wouldn't like having to group with people just to let them in my house. I'd prefer the system they used in Everquest II to assign various levels of visitor access to an unlimited number of other players; sort of an "allow list" or "white list." Not unlike the way a guild leader assigns ranks and permissions.

This is how housing access in EQ2 worked:

There are several levels of access to a player house, each level governs the actions of a visiting player. With the exception of the Owner Access level, there is no limit on the number of characters (or players) that you can set access for in your house. Access levels can only be set from inside the house by right-clicking on the door or typing /house.

House Access
    Owner: Your character, the owner of the house. Only the character that owns the house can relinquish the ownership of the house or move all of its contents to a new house.

Trustee: Trustees have almost the same access as the owner. Trustees can place items, move items, and interact in alter the house like the owner with the exception of picking up No-Trade items specific to the owner (such as rewards from heritage quests). This level of access also prevents Trustees from removing No-Trade from the house entirely. Trustees can also pay your upkeep.

Friend: Friends may enter your house, view your decorations, and interact with some of your items (they may take food from your Frostfell servings , for instance). They can also move items around in your house, but they cannot place new items or take items out of your house.

Visitor: Visitors may enter your house, view your decorations, and interact with some of your items (they may take food Frostfell servings, for instance). They can not pick items up or move them. You have the option to set this as the general status for all players that want to visit your house. If you place a sales display in your house this is the automatic setting for all players.

None: This prevents players from entering your house. You have the option to set this as the general status for the house so that no one can visit your home.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Adambomb1200
    Saihung423 wrote: »
    Pattern it after EQ2. Their housing is phenomenal.

I agree
  • xXDeadscarXx
    xXDeadscarXx
    Soul Shriven
    I really hope to see some player housing in ESO. Rift, and EQ2 had the best playerhousing system. Rift wasn't really much of housing as it was your own space in the world. (instanced of course) But being able to craft things for your housing and finding things dropped by mobs is still a fun thing even if it is all cosmetic. Its fun being to have your own space to set up some chairs tables all the small knick knacks you find. This is something I hope to see in ESO. Hopefully they will get ideas from some of the best mmos right now. With how eq2 has theres and how rift does theres.
    If only I could fly.
  • Gogog Bloodthroat
    Gogog Bloodthroat
    ✭✭✭
    I think SWG housing was best maybe some of the new areas.like a new craglorn type deal. where its set to the alliance and in this area is where u can build houses. where u chose your spot and everyone saw your house could go in and see it if you want.maybe make it so you can form villages from so many houses being close to each other
    Edited by Gogog Bloodthroat on February 15, 2015 12:45AM
    I,Gogog, the Bloodthroat. Hail Gzoroth!
  • xXDeadscarXx
    xXDeadscarXx
    Soul Shriven
    I think SWG housing was best
    SWG may it RIP. I forgot about the housing in that till i read your comment. The housing system in that was deff cool. I still think EQ2 had the best tho. The way you could put things you made or found in there. Rift was kinda hit or miss, I hated that it wasnt really a "house". Still finding new stuff for it that was dropped by mobs was nice.
    If only I could fly.
  • Molgor1980
    It's long ago that there was a reply here. Will it come? Waiting a year for it now^^
    It mustn't be a real house somewhere in the official world, an own house where you can port to and maybe invite friends to visit you would be okay. A place where you can relax after your adventures and maybe follow a hobby like Fish tanks or gardening^^
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue is the way it would be incorperated that complify things.

The first question: Would you be willing to compromise?

To explain the question. Given the size of the world and the amount of players, it is impossible to have a house in the open world. You either get a shard of the world that is private (simular to the harborage) or instanced towns. Both are as nameless and have only meaning to you. Housing in RPG's means you got a place to call home that fits into the world. This is impossible in an MMO and will always end up with mechanics blocking the immersion. Is it still a home when the mechanics are showing it is not unique at all?

This leads to the second question: How much development cost should be involved?
    The above issue can be overcome partly, but it would require very new and unexisting mechanics. They have proven to deliver such a promise, but it would come with a price. They either should raise prices of products or delay other projects (like the DLC's) to make it perfect.

The way housing is done in other MMO's is artificial to me and it is something you buy once, but then you hardly ever visit cause the mechanics are blocking the immersion. If they do it, it should be a very new technique that makes it unique like in rpg's but also possible in an mmo without mechanics blocking the immersion. This would require much more development time then any regular content and would delay other content. That is a price I would not want to pay.

As with skyrim, I don't think any decent housing is possible till the end of the life cycle of the game, which will likely be too late any ways.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • retyler3_ESO
    retyler3_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Would be better to pattern it after RIFT called RIFT Dimension. In RIFT you are given a plot of land (a dimension) and told to build what you want how you want. Like Minecraft except for the blocky look. There are some amazing builds. Someone built a pirate ship that looked incredible.

I also like how EverQuest 2 did the storage with their housing. You could build trunks/boxes of various sizes and set permissions allowing people to deposit and remove items from the trunks/boxes. You could even set the permissions for your alts as well.

Honestly I would say style it after RIFT Dimensions or don't do it at all. That way I can build my own house, and furnish it how I desire.

Here is a video showing some player housing in RIFT.

Houses Part 1 - RIFT Dimension Showcase - Player Housing
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=cf5C_m_vCe0

Houses Part 2 - RIFT Dimension Showcase - Player Housing
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=xGJejQ7Gqgg

Houses Part 3 - RIFT Dimensions Showcase - Player Housing
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=anGdguE-xTY

This one has a list of what people have done with the RIFT Dimensions
    Dimension Gallery
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCP-Ztw72rZo77ENMg5ne5KA
    Edited by retyler3_ESO on May 6, 2015 5:30PM
  • Usmar
    Usmar
    ✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    Given the size of the world and the amount of players, it is impossible to have a house in the open world. You either get a shard of the world that is private (simular to the harborage) or instanced towns. Both are as nameless and have only meaning to you. Housing in RPG's means you got a place to call home that fits into the world. This is impossible in an MMO and will always end up with mechanics blocking the immersion. Is it still a home when the mechanics are showing it is not unique at all?.

I completely disagree. Vanguard had housing in the open world and they had a great housing system. As you ran around in the open world, you would occasionally come across housing areas and you could actually read the sign out front to know who it was owned by. The owner could set if he/she wanted public access. guild access, or access by invitation only. There were also amazing guild halls and cities that were planned to be built up around the housing area as the area progressed and contained shops, merchants and crafting areas (I left the game before this latter part was fully implemented but I know that it was planned). All housing had to be built by harvesting the appropriate materials and crafting the rafters/bricks etc. There were even many different styles and types of houses to choose from. Inside of the house, there was near limitless possibilities. You could literally put anything anywhere you wanted. I fondly remember spending a lot of time turning bookshelves on their sides to build an elaborate pub in my home lol. Vanguard's housing was by far the best that I have ever seen. Also, there is so much unused real estate on the Tamriel map currently, that there wouldn't be much of an issue finding a place for player cities...provided the devs would be willing to open a few more zones.

Lastly, I'm sure they will be adding housing very soon...more than likely as a purchased add-on. ZOS would be stupid not to since cool housing items in the Crown Shop would be a gold mine!

• deadarmy5
    deadarmy5
    Soul Shriven
    Lastly, I'm sure they will be adding housing very soon...more than likely as a purchased add-on. ZOS would be stupid not to since cool housing items in the Crown Shop would be a gold mine!

[/quote]

I completely agree. One of the biggest selling points in SWTOR and many other MMOs right now is the customization for housing. The crown store would make a killing on stuff like that and they would be stupid not to add that kind of stuff in. To be honest, I was rather surprised they haven't added that kind of thing in already as many "finds" and "trophies" are already in the game. In Skyrim, having a house made it crazy convenient to store things and be able to switch character types quickly without having to run between buildings, i.e the bank and other places. Plus, if they added in customization and made it so that players could craft housing pieces, I think it would add another economy aspect to the game as many players would not be willing to spend the time to make all the parts they need, both in gold and in Crown.
  • Dimmit
    Dimmit
    ✭✭
    ZOS, Housing would really add a great value to the game. I personally prefer EQ2 system, that would provide you with choice cheapest-cheap-normal-expensive-luxurious house in each city.
    In addition to all nice feelings that it would add to player's immersion, It could also provide a gold dump for players and it also could create a cool cash flow through Crown Shop.
    Really, it should happen.
    Edited by Dimmit on May 10, 2015 12:16PM
  • Cormore
    Cormore
    ✭✭✭
    this would be cool if its housing was like SWG but there would be nowhere to put any houses on the map.
  • snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    i would luv it if ESO had houses like the Woodelf Tree-Huts! It would be cool to have a Guild Hall that was a big Tree-Hut too! These are so imaginative and blend in with surroundings so nicely! The Khajiit style homes and decor' are pretty nice too though. Meow=^..^=Meow!
    Edited by snowsong on May 10, 2015 4:05PM
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it would need to be "open world" housing to FEEL like it was...
    ESO is very good at moving us into shards without seeing a load screen.

On practically every map they could work in a path that goes to a player housing area...
    where we of course, have crafting and a bank and a pub.

& I really hope we get to do our own decorating!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Fleshreaper
    Fleshreaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just create a plane in Oblivion and give every player their own plot of land. Add more space and extra wayshrines when needed. Make each house "only" accessible if you are in a party with the owner or on their friends list and in party with them. Let the player build their own house, with stone, wood, cloth, and style traits.
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want the Harboridge available as a starting player home. Even though the Profit has an Alchemy and Enchanting station, I'd eagerly waiver their access to acquire a small chest in the corner.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with non instanced player housing is that it might be lore breaking... remember ESO takes place in the 2nd era, thousands (not sure exactly how far in the past) of years before the events of Elder Scrolls 1: Arena. If they allow guild housing and massive cities to spring up all over the place what has happen to them in the future during the time of Skyrim and Morrowind. They would have to be careful
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    abigfishy wrote: »

This is how housing access in EQ2 worked:

There are several levels of access to a player house, each level governs the actions of a visiting player. With the exception of the Owner Access level, there is no limit on the number of characters (or players) that you can set access for in your house. Access levels can only be set from inside the house by right-clicking on the door or typing /house.

House Access
    Owner: Your character, the owner of the house. Only the character that owns the house can relinquish the ownership of the house or move all of its contents to a new house.

Trustee: Trustees have almost the same access as the owner. Trustees can place items, move items, and interact in alter the house like the owner with the exception of picking up No-Trade items specific to the owner (such as rewards from heritage quests). This level of access also prevents Trustees from removing No-Trade from the house entirely. Trustees can also pay your upkeep.

Friend: Friends may enter your house, view your decorations, and interact with some of your items (they may take food from your Frostfell servings , for instance). They can also move items around in your house, but they cannot place new items or take items out of your house.

Visitor: Visitors may enter your house, view your decorations, and interact with some of your items (they may take food Frostfell servings, for instance). They can not pick items up or move them. You have the option to set this as the general status for all players that want to visit your house. If you place a sales display in your house this is the automatic setting for all players.

None: This prevents players from entering your house. You have the option to set this as the general status for the house so that no one can visit your home.

This actually sounds like a really good idea! It even allows for private player stores too.

I think player housing will come, I just hope that I can afford it when it comes cause I think if the number of player houses is limited then the prices of these houses will be astronomical.
    Sha'ria Wrathmane - Belora Wrathmane - Leora Wrathmane
    Former Head of Recruitment for Vokundein
  • deadarmy5
    deadarmy5
    Soul Shriven
    Wrathmane, I couldn't agree more dude. They need to make a system where players have the ability to interact with each other but at the same time not impact the story, the "lore" of the game, or each other (unless the player gives that option). At the same time, they really need to add in things that we can find or receive from the game as well and not just buy. For example, when I get the "bear trap" from one of the early quests, I would like to put that in my house on display, or maybe in my "yard" or some place similar to add to the "feeling" of my house. There are already a ton of items like this in game. If we could have the option of setting up other things to, like gardens, forges and other stuff like in Skyrim... that would totally rock and add some serious excuses to play and search around for cool things to put in your house. Not to mention it could further add to character story as well.
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be better to pattern it after RIFT called RIFT Dimension. In RIFT you are given a plot of land (a dimension) and told to build what you want how you want. Like Minecraft except for the blocky look. There are some amazing builds. Someone built a pirate ship that looked incredible.

I also like how EverQuest 2 did the storage with their housing. You could build trunks/boxes of various sizes and set permissions allowing people to deposit and remove items from the trunks/boxes. You could even set the permissions for your alts as well.

Honestly I would say style it after RIFT Dimensions or don't do it at all. That way I can build my own house, and furnish it how I desire.

Here is a video showing some player housing in RIFT.

Houses Part 1 - RIFT Dimension Showcase - Player Housing
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=cf5C_m_vCe0

Houses Part 2 - RIFT Dimension Showcase - Player Housing
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=xGJejQ7Gqgg

Houses Part 3 - RIFT Dimensions Showcase - Player Housing
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=anGdguE-xTY

This one has a list of what people have done with the RIFT Dimensions
    Dimension Gallery
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCP-Ztw72rZo77ENMg5ne5KA
    I played Rift before the Dimensions came out. I had no idea you could do so much with them. After seeing that housing system, my bar has been raised.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could be great to have a house in TESO. Maybe the same house for everyone, but when you enter it, it become your own house.
  • Inufandom
    Inufandom
    I think settling the issues already in the game are top priority, but player housing should definitely be next on the list. Instanced neiborhoods would be awesome. Being able to adopt children would be a great addition to that as well. I rather liked bringing presents home for the kids.
  • bryndr13ub17_ESO
    Audigy wrote: »
    Kova wrote: »
    You could maybe craft a own cellar with a dungeon where you then put captured mobs or thieves ^^

This would be the best. Lock, stock, and two shackled bandits.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    snowsong wrote: »
    i would luv it if ESO had houses like the Woodelf Tree-Huts! It would be cool to have a Guild Hall that was a big Tree-Hut too! These are so imaginative and blend in with surroundings so nicely! The Khajiit style homes and decor' are pretty nice too though. Meow=^..^=Meow!

Looking back in time & flash forward again to rejoice in the fact that my wish for Wood Elf homes came true! Thanks ESO! :-)
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]