Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Conclusion: All Class Skills are Spells (regardless of range)

dw0011nrb19_ESO
Class skills require magicka
Class skills do not improve upon what weapon you wear and it's weapon dmg (tested)
Class skills' cost is reduced by wearing gear which reduces Spell cost
Class skills are therefor spells
Class skills improve with spell crit

If you want to improve the effectivity of your class skills, you wear full light armor
If you are only using Class skills and no weapon skills for some reason, you can run around with wearing no weapon what so ever. Surely you will lose the trait on this weapon that for example can affect your crit-chance, but like said the weapon dmg itself does not affect any Class skill what so ever.

This cleans up everything I had in my head regarding the typical approach to melee builds, like being a Nightblade for example and focusing heavy on the assination tree, it is pointless to wear medium armor. As much as it hurts to say this, as a fan of medium armor and the agility that usually comes with it. But melee crit does not apply to Class Skills. Spell Crit does apply to it. So aside from maybe the sneak detection or runspeed increase, it really makes no sense for someone focusing on Class Skills to run with anything other than Light Armor.
Edited by dw0011nrb19_ESO on April 23, 2014 12:23PM
@Hrotha - EU
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uh, ok...
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭
    Class skills are therefor spells
    Class skills improve with spell crit

But melee crit does not apply to Class Skills. Spell Crit does apply to it.

Unfortunately this would be simple, but there are exceptions, check the physicla vs magical videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MystbornGaming/videos

Some class skills indeed use melee crit and others use spell crit. If the ability "looks/feels" like a melee physical skill it will use melee crit and not spell crit.

So aside from maybe the sneak detection or runspeed increase, it really makes no sense for someone focusing on Class Skills to run with anything other than Light Armor.

Thats a little shortsighted, as example as a NB tank i'm fully decked in heavy armor only using 1 sta based skill for taunt. Its true that i consider switching to light armor, but thats because of some special build i want to try.

Medium armor looks kinda weak yes, but there are some special builds i would have to test, before dismissing it.

What u get using medium armor is:
    21% crit chance
    10% atk speed

So as u can see medium armor is the best way to push your "melee" crit chance. If u combine this with quick hitting attacks from the DW tree or the "buggy" deadly bash passive, we might be able to get a decent crit based DPS build.