Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Werewolf form feels like a side grade.

Elyna
Elyna
✭✭✭✭
I remember in Skyrim, (The game not region) When I wanted to run in and cause havoc, I would turn into a Werewolf and go insane on there and kill the bandits (in some cases a dragon) in a few swipes. And it felt awesome, it felt like being a WW was an upgrade with its drawbacks at the same time. That feeling is lost in ESO. WW form just feels like a I just want to be a WW for a while and kill some normal mobs. Never have I turned into a WW to fight some boss because I knew I would do better if I just stayed normal and used my many abilities to kill them.

One of the many ways to make WW feel more beast-like is to give it back the sprint where they run on all four. Seriously why was this removed? The AI walk on all four so why cant the players?

Decrease that ridiculous ult cost. WW form does not justify the cost in any way. If anything, Vampire ult is 100x better. Make it work like Overload, where if you have enough, you can toggle it on and off whenever you want but you can keep adding to ultimate charges.

More abilities. The jump is unreliable as it can glitch and cause you to get stuck in animation which is basically the game saying "**** you" Roar is nice, but it can feel a little slow at times. The jump needs to be more focused on an initiate. I rarely walk up to an enemy, roar, then jump. It feels backwards and not nearly as badass as pouncing your enemy to begin with.
  • Tendeep
    Tendeep
    ✭✭✭
    "Never have I turned into a WW to fight some boss because I knew I would do better if I just stayed normal and used my many abilities to kill them."

Exactly, there is currently no point to transform, we are very weak, and perform worse when in form than in our humanoid forms...

This ESO "Special" world ability is horrible. :-(

Sorry so short, but tired of stating all the obvious issues in all the 100's of posts stating the obvious - FIX WW.
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, a side grade is exactly what both WW and vampire need to be. It's important that players are not pressured to becoming one or the other to remain competitive to the point where it's probably better to have them both slightly underpowered then overpowered. That way the only people who choose ether actually want to be one.

Even considering this, I do believe WW needs some love since the ultimate itself is not useful. The odd thing is, I think that the poison damage is a actually an OK trade for the ultimate gain alone, however I feel that players are being punished too much for actually using the condition as intended.
    Edited by Teloran on April 25, 2014 1:25PM
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teloran wrote: »
    Actually, a side grade is exactly what both WW and vampire need to be. It's important that players are not pressured to becoming one or the other to remain competitive to the point where it's probably better to have them both slightly underpowered then overpowered. That way the only people who choose ether actually want to be one.

Even considering this, I do believe WW needs some love since the ultimate itself is not useful. The odd thing is, I think that the poison damage is a actually an OK trade for the ultimate gain alone, however I feel that players are being punished too much for actually using the condition as intended.

No no no, ESO has a motto that says "Play the way you like" and "Be who you want to be" To make Werewolves and vampires not viable in anything will be against their own motto because it is forcing us to be anything except a vampire or werewolf.

I wanted and hoped for a werewolf form I can shapeshift into and out of at will because if I want to be a werewolf who embraces the form then I should be in it as much as possible. The state of the werewolf in ESO is horrible and the worst it has been in any Elder Scrolls game. I don't want to grind to be a werewolf I just want to be one instantly and I choose when to change back. Did you know druids are the most played class besides a hunter because people like to embrace the beast and just have fun. ESO should allow me to be a werewolf 100% just like vampires. I dislike the restrictions and the weaknesses for werewolves and they were never a good idea from the start and the devs need a reality check that peeps who choose to be werewolves obviously want to be werewolves 100% of the time!
  • whatsername908
    whatsername908
    ✭✭✭
    If the devs have effectively made werewolves sidegrades, then they've done their jobs properly. While shapeshifting into an exponentially powerful beast in Skyrim was viable because it was a single-player game, in ESO it simply cannot be done because doing so in an MMO would mean that werewolves have the advantage over other players. If werewolves were to become that much more powerful over any other player, then everyone would seek to become a werewolf. Players should not feel compelled to seek out supernatural abilities in order to adequately compete with everyone else. A sidegrade is fine. A sidegrade is how it needs to be.

That said, it is not on par with every other skill line. As is, it should be a toggle-able ability, and even then it needs a few upgrades like health regen, the ability to dodge, and more active abilities. Players shouldn't have to sacrifice survivability for some negligible bleeding damage; we should be just as viable in werewolf form as we are in normal form. Those things accounted for, it would make an excellent alternate form that could be toggled whenever desired. If kept as an ultimate, it has even more problems that need addressing.

Ultimate abilities are what you build up to in combat. It's a moment that should shout "I've just kicked it into overdrive!" It's short and awesome and perhaps just enough to turn the tide of battle in your favor and that's how it should be. Lycanthropy as an ultimate is extremely expensive and lackluster. There is no other ultimate that gives you a 50% weakness to anything (period!), but in addition this one forces you to be a sitting duck for seconds at a time when activated. All other ultimates are there to give you that powerful extra push; there are no others that make you such a huge target while also being more vulnerable and not giving you any extra combat effectiveness. In its current state, it's not an ultimate, it's just suicide.

Every other ultimate is instant and powerful. If they want to keep it an ultimate, it needs to be the same and they can start by lowering the cost to something more reasonable. So okay, sure, I'm only a werewolf for 20 seconds, but it's instant and in that form I have increased health regen and have a 60% chance for my attacks to be critical hits. Bam! Powerful, worthwhile ultimate for those that sought it out, but not something that people would feel compelled to go out of their way to get because comparatively, it's no better or worse than, say, their Dragonknight Standard, or their Storm Atronach.

So, yes, it should be a sidegrade in the sense that it's unlocking a skill line that's neither overpowered nor underpowered compared to other skill lines. However, I don't think they've successfully done that just yet. I feel like werewolves should be DPS/tanks. I suppose the devs were aiming for glass cannons to be equal with vampires, but they ended up with just glass.
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not meant to be a sidegrade.

Sidegrades don't make you take 50% additional damage from certain damage sources permanently and making you fodder for Fighter guild skills while you don't get any permanent boost.

Werewolf is an ULTIMATE, the passive skills are tied to an ULTIMATE, that competes for an ULTIMATE SLOT. It should be just as powerful as any other ultimate without passives, and even more powerful than regular ultimates when you devote a boatload of skill points to that line's passives.

When werewolf becomes like vampirism where you get constant benefits to be balanced by the downsides, then you can talk about it being a sidegrade. But vampirism isn't a sidegrade. It comes with a strong aoe drain on top of a skill that reduces damage by 75% and reduces damage at low health by up to 50%, on top of the stamina, magicka, and healing passives.

Werewolf doesn't even hold a candle to vampirism, and it should blow the damn vampire out of the water considering it does not have a 100% uptime so it should compensate for the downtime by being rather powerful instead.
  • Hail_Sithis
    Hail_Sithis
    ✭✭
    Elyna wrote: »
    Make it work like Overload, where if you have enough, you can toggle it on and off whenever you want but you can keep adding to ultimate charges.

You know...This might work actually, with a few tweaks to how overload works, Though it might present it's own problems, it's not like WW form lasts that long (Ignoring the time glitch) to begin with...Though, it wouldn't be that lore friendly, so eh.

And while Vampire is certainly a bit OTT with the ultimate cost stacking, it's really only because of the health draining properties in the ultimate.

A werewolf should be a *** force of nature, When a hostile, maxed level beserker werewolf jumps at you, you should be going "If I don't do something about this i'm going to die horribly." not "Oh that's okay I'll just use a snare and run the other way."
    Edited by Hail_Sithis on April 29, 2014 1:35PM
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
  • kelvinschouwb16_ESO
    Elyna wrote: »
    A werewolf should be a *** force of nature, When a hostile, maxed level beserker werewolf jumps at you, you should be going "If I don't do something about this i'm going to die horribly." not "Oh that's okay I'll just use a snare and run the other way."

Its prolly even worse, most think, owww look at that cute oversized Chiuawa, it just jumped at me and wants too cuddle.. I'm a Vet3, with lvl10 WW beserker, and i hardly can even put a scratch on a equally lvl player.. they just ignore me in PvP, save there CC for normal Humanoid players and then deal with me when i start to get transform back, free CC for them..

For the cost of the ulti and amout of SP i have put in my Beserker WW, i dont think i should be on par with others, i should be for the cost and duration, and the Penalty that comes with it, at least a fearfull 40/60s bloodraging killing machine, unless i meet a fighterguild Silverbolt hurling Expert tracker, that can bring me to a deadstop.. Any other should fear the Wolf and expected to be ravaged and devoured to a reasonble point gameplaywise..
    Edited by kelvinschouwb16_ESO on April 30, 2014 1:57AM
  • Sendak
    Sendak
    I totally agree.

First of all : fix werewolves. There are bugs that SHOULDN'T be at the stage of the game (problem with pounce, problem with pack leader,...) can i bring back that beta stage is over ?

Second point as everyone here said : they really need to add some balance. Did they even try that ultimate ? Stacking 925 ultimates points in pvp ? And even if you do so, what the point in being a 2 skills-slotbar teddybear ?

The idea is nice, giving abilities for a "pack", and i tried it. Yesterday i went pvp with 2 werewolves friends, we stacked ultimates, and ambushed a road in Cydoril, we were really excited (all VR1). Then we jump in and transform, versus 3 others players... and we felt like, "ok, we could have done better with any other 125 cost ultimate, with no passive skillpoints in it". And it is not hard to see.

That is bringing me to another point. The game mecanics are good, but the balance is meh. Soft and hard caps for example. I am a DK wearing 5 heavy and 2 light armors, my magic resistance is hard capped, my armor is hard capped, and i got 2700 hp. But still, if i get ambushed by a decent sorcerer or nightblade, he can all-in me before i can do anything (with the correct chain of skills). So what the point ? I'm supposed to be damn tanky and can't even trade a spell ?

I played Guild Wars 2 a lot. Oh, the game wasn't perfect at all. But since i'm now VR1 and in Cydoril, i don't see what TESO brings in the MMO experience, and i feel like they abused us. I give them one month to make the game better (especially talking in pvp), after that i'm done. I mean guys, just hire an experienced pvp dev in your dev team. So much errors could have been avoided.

So read the forums, look for positive comments :
    _werewolf transformation is "ok", the fact you can't toggle it in and out sounds logic, but make it instant, the 1 second animation in pvp is killing us
    _1000 points is too much, you can't wait for stacking that much ultimate in pvp
    _when in werewolf form, people should just fear you as hell (especially in a pack), bring more damage, more resistance, others skills (like one solo-target hard cc, one buff for the pack...)
    _before adding content anymore, fix existing bugs, you could start by fixing all quests, zone damage, werewolves, there is work on that
    _rise the caps, you need tanks, definitely, i didn't say unkillable tanks
    _carefull for lags, past days have seen huge lags in Cydoril