Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The logic behind damage numbers for melee versus ranged?

OgreSamanosuke
OgreSamanosuke
Soul Shriven
This is something that has bugged me for ages, and as I level it becomes more and more apparent. Using a scrolling combat text mod to see the damage I do with attacks, and what is truely baffling me, and I hope someone has some explaination, is why twohanded melee attacks are weaker than my bow attacks.

Here's the reason I'm dumbfounded:
Lv26 Blue bow - 59 DMG
Lv30 Blue 2h sword - 82 DMG

I have 42 skill in Twohand, and both points in the first passive that should be giving me 5% more damage with swords, I have 15 skill in bows because I just started using them again and none of the passives. When I fight level 30-32 mobs, my Light Attacks with my sword hit for 76 while my bow hits for 79. Not done exact timing of it, but definitely doesn't feel like bow fires slower than my sword swing speed.

So how the hell does a bow with 23 less weapon dmg do more actual damage than my sword? Especially since I should be getting 5% more dmg from twohand passive.