Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Over-Saturation of Traders in Zone Chat

thisisdustinsemail_ESO
http://1drv.ms/1lCHBHe

Please view the picture above. See the chat box? I tried asking a legitimate question, and it was immediately covered up by those people trying to sell their wares.

Let's face it. Zenimax wants the guild stores to work. Roughly 35% of this forum's population wants the guild stores to work. But they don't.

Instead of using the guild stores, people resort to spamming the zone chat to sell and buy their goods.

Why?

1) Zone chat provides a larger customer base than guild stores

2) You make 25% more gold selling in zone chat, because of guild store taxes

3) Since zone chat has no taxes, sellers don't feel the need to raise their prices to combat the taxes. Thus, the items are sold for cheaper prices through zone chat.

Why would anyone use the guild stores when you can make more money and sell to more people faster in zone chat?

Zone chat is basically ruined. I'd suggest turning it into a trade channel, but then the only people that would use it are sellers, so it'd be pointless.

The only solution is to implement an auction house, or at least black market Khajiit caravans.

Thoughts?
  • mcatchlovb16_ESO
    mcatchlovb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Agree 100%.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get something like X4DLibAntiSpam, add wtt, wts and wtb to the custom filter, job done. I also stuck foreign words for "guild" in about 6 languages in there for good measure, and no guild spam either.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood why there isn't a trade chat. I saw little tolerance for the trade spamming in zone chat, back when I used to watch it, and the ones with any integrity did tone down the frequency of their posts when they were asked to.

Chasing them out of zone chat doesn't make things any more pleasant, though, because they all just stand around in large public areas /say-ing or /yell-ing their WTBs and WTSs. IMO that's infinitely worse, because now I can't get away from them. And it was so nice for a while when I could turn off zone and just have local chat for actually taking, or grouping, or RPing. Can you imagine how horrible a huge open space like Elden Root would be with those oft-discussed chat bubbles?
    Edited by Sue_D_Nim on April 22, 2014 9:12PM
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    A dedicated "trade" channel to segregate the trading from Zone is needed. I don't think it would be just sellers. You would see the WTB notices also.

Black Market Khajiit Caravans? Expand that thought, it sounds really interesting.
    The Sidekick Order
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    I like seeing what's available in zone chat. Gives me an idea of items at a higher level I may wish to pursue. Gold seller can burn for all I care. WTS people, keep it coming. It gives me a thirst for equips.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    Enteum wrote: »
    I like seeing what's available in zone chat. Gives me an idea of items at a higher level I may wish to pursue. Gold seller can burn for all I care. WTS people, keep it coming. It gives me a thirst for equips.
    Yes, but why must it be IN zone chat? Remember, you can filter each tab on the chat window to filter the chat channels as you desire - so you could choose to show /trade chat in the same window as /zone chat, while others could choose not to.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • thisisdustinsemail_ESO
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    Yes, but why must it be IN zone chat? Remember, you can filter each tab on the chat window to filter the chat channels as you desire - so you could choose to show /trade chat in the same window as /zone chat, while others could choose not to.

But why would you ever go to /trade chat? The whole point of /zone chat spamming is to reach people who aren't necessarily looking for items. Someone looks down and sees a 'WTS Claw of the Dragon', and they're like, "I guess I could use one of those."

If there was a separate /trade chat, you would basically have to be WTS'ing in /trade chat at the exact same time another person was WTB'ing the exact same item.

Which is basically a lazy man's auction house.

In summary, all of this could be alleviated with just giving us a freaking auction house, jesus christ.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://1drv.ms/1lCHBHe

Please view the picture above. See the chat box? I tried asking a legitimate question, and it was immediately covered up by those people trying to sell their wares.

Let's face it. Zenimax wants the guild stores to work. Roughly 35% of this forum's population wants the guild stores to work. But they don't.

Instead of using the guild stores, people resort to spamming the zone chat to sell and buy their goods.

Why?

1) Zone chat provides a larger customer base than guild stores

2) You make 25% more gold selling in zone chat, because of guild store taxes

3) Since zone chat has no taxes, sellers don't feel the need to raise their prices to combat the taxes. Thus, the items are sold for cheaper prices through zone chat.

Why would anyone use the guild stores when you can make more money and sell to more people faster in zone chat?

Zone chat is basically ruined. I'd suggest turning it into a trade channel, but then the only people that would use it are sellers, so it'd be pointless.

The only solution is to implement an auction house, or at least black market Khajiit caravans.

Thoughts?

This was discussed nearly a year ago. What you see in zone chat is what ZOS and many others in the beta forums expected. Maybe they thought that enough players would be so put off by the constantly scrolling chatter that players would turn to joining guilds en masse.

We should see if this and other attempts of funneling of players into guilds works if/when Zenimax releases sales and monthly subscription numbers. I suspect that they won't release any sales numbers for ESO until after the first month (May 4 is less than two weeks away) in case the retention figures for the first month is subpar (< 70%-80%).
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But why would you ever go to /trade chat? The whole point of /zone chat spamming is to reach people who aren't necessarily looking for items. Someone looks down and sees a 'WTS Claw of the Dragon', and they're like, "I guess I could use one of those."

If there was a separate /trade chat, you would basically have to be WTS'ing in /trade chat at the exact same time another person was WTB'ing the exact same item.

In summary, all of this could be alleviated with just giving us a freaking auction house, jesus christ.

Selling in zone chat means you get a bigger market and you don't have to pay the guild fee. More buyers, lower price sounds like a win-win. Of course you have to make more effort.
  • thisisdustinsemail_ESO
    wrlifeboil wrote: »

Selling in zone chat means you get a bigger market and you don't have to pay the guild fee. More buyers, lower price sounds like a win-win. Of course you have to make more effort.

Okay? You would have the same benefits from an auction house, and it would be less spammy.