Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Give us single-point respec!

Poposhka
Poposhka
Soul Shriven
I wish that it could be acknowledged that we need a single skill point respec ability. I love the way that skill development is implemented, the massive amount of choices is just screaming for me to play around with builds, experiment, and try new things. Fun!

However, this eagerness is stifled by the rather massive cost and effort involved in refunding ALL your skill points - not to mention you have to keep track of the things you like and want to keep in addition to the ones you want to change.

People say "you get so many skill points in the end you can max out a lot", sure, but it would be nice to be able to play around with this while you are leveling up, and restricted on amounts of skill points, especially if you are also speccing into crafting to keep up with the materials you harvest, and the quest driven skills like persuasion.

Instead of having fun with the skill point building we are directed to level all the way to the end before having a meaningful interaction with the tree? Let people play around and learn what works and what doesn't as they level. Doing it the way it is now encourages cookie-cutter and FOTM builds because people won't dare mis-spec into something that is buggy or doesn't work as expected.

Having a more accessible skill point respec system, would also hopefully reward the playerbase with more knowledgeable players who had an opportunity to try different facets of their class.

So, I would love to see a single-point respec, or heck, skill line respec. The current model of refunding ALL your points just completely contradicts the cool implementation of skill progression.
Edited by Poposhka on April 22, 2014 7:16PM
  • Hellkath
    Hellkath
    I'd love to see a 'Uh-oh, I don't like that afterall' option where you could go back on the last point you put..
    say in the first 10 minutes or so of choosing that specific skill..

I've had it happen more then once where I wanted to try something out and it didn't turn out to be quite what I had hoped for.. and then was stuck with that particular skill only to think to myself 'great! now I have to spend 2k to respect everything juste because of that one skill I hate!'
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hellkath wrote: »
    I'd love to see a 'Uh-oh, I don't like that afterall' option where you could go back on the last point you put..
    say in the first 10 minutes or so of choosing that specific skill..

I've had it happen more then once where I wanted to try something out and it didn't turn out to be quite what I had hoped for.. and then was stuck with that particular skill only to think to myself 'great! now I have to spend 2k to respect everything juste because of that one skill I hate!'

Same exact thing happened to me recently.

I put a point into some shield ability that sounded cool - but ended up just being a huge drain on my magicka not worth using. So now I am stuck in a limbo wondering if I want to spend all that gold to reset my skill points just to make a single correction.

It would definitely be convenient and less expensive to be able to redo one point at a time. Or to have some trial period that allows you to test out different abilities before committing.

I suspect they did this on purpose though to make it more punitive to alter your development choices so your build retains some form permanence if that makes any sense. So I guess I'm up in the air about this.

I would definitely take advantage of these ideas if they were implemented. But I can live without them.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 22, 2014 7:49PM
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. It would be too easy to respec every time you did anything different. There has to be some weight to these decisions.
  • orntharon
    orntharon
    Soul Shriven
    It would be cool, since training was always a large part of the Elder Scrolls games, if there were training rooms in the major guild halls that allowed you to try out skills before you buy them.

When you leave the training room your skills would reset to what they were before you entered training. This would allow you to make an informed decision before you select your skills while increasing the immersion of the game.

Since there are sub-guild-halls scattered throughout the zones, the inconvenience would not be great enough to offset the benefit of trying out skills.

A variety of games have this try before you buy concept, and if utilized within the lore of the game I feel that this could meet the needs of the community without destroying the concept of the game as the developers defined it.
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    While I would personally love single-point respec, I can understand why they would not want to do so.

Having said that, I DO think we should be able to change our Morph choices. If you pick a skill you don't like, you can always earn MORE skill points and get some other skill. But if you pick a Morph and it turns out you don't like it, there is NO way to go back and get the other Morph except to totally scrap the character and pay the huge all-or-nothing respec fees.

Morph choices are the only choice you cannot eventually recover from...
  • dcbdown
    dcbdown
    Soul Shriven
    I just wish there was an option to reset morphs without paying such expensive costs for a full respect.
    Edited by dcbdown on April 23, 2014 2:32AM