Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Do you think that the travel time in PvP is too much?

Torasi
Torasi
✭✭
A lot of people have been complaining about the amount of distance you have to travel while you're in Cyrodil. Normally this is coming from people who don't control many keeps so clearly that would hold them back from certain fast travel perks. Do you think that they should allow people to recall perhaps, or should they keep it the way that it is because it forces players to think more tactically. Should the change it, or not?
Edited by Torasi on April 22, 2014 6:24PM
"Only the proud and mighty dare to follow the ways of Talos"

Do you think that the travel time in PvP is too much? 193 votes

Yes
17%
seniden_ESOrondavidhb14a_ESODudeKoshjinx342b14_ESOLonePiratestryderzzRohn1992b16_ESOhardouin.yannickb16_ESOtylarthb16_ESOdannyporter2011b16_ESONickdorlandb16_ESOAreoHotahKancorsdaniel.wynnb16_ESOnicholaspingasb16_ESOSanspoofReavanroney.jeremyub17_ESOSimzaniBardorion 33 votes
No
82%
TerminusSykotik_ESOHelspyreDleatherusPoxheartKewljag_66_ESOOmyzsmercgames_ESORustybucketNekOnOkOcasselna_ESOsamcharles77_ESOTraytChampionSheWolfNeeScrollskevlarto_ESOAzarulSananabjoshisanonymousfrwinters_ESO 160 votes
  • stylernaku
    stylernaku
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I would love to see a few posts of "Do you LOVE (insert here) about ESO. I'm sorry but all these polls seem to be encouraging hate spam, and little more.

I'm not saying that was definately your intention, but it wiffs of it to me.
    Options
  • Baraz
    Baraz
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I have seen worse and better in terms of "time to get back into the fray", but the votes will speak for themselves. I think it is really fine at the moment.
    Options
  • KiroElmarok
    KiroElmarok
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I would love to see campaigns with rules that force you to spawn at your teams gate and run back to where you were. Gives death in pvp a more visceral feel. (Rezzing with gems/forward camps would still be allowed.)
    Daggerfall Covenant - Dunmer - Dragon Knight

Options
  • Phaet
    Phaet
    No
    So you've traveled very far away to your objective and got killed right away or even very very close to your objective and you don't want to travel again all the way. Well it hahppened to me too. It happens.
    Options
  • Helspyre
    Helspyre
    ✭✭
    No
    When I was a kid, we didn't have horses. I had to march to and from battles for 10 leagues or more, through snow, uphill...both ways.
    CITADEL
    A small sized, West Coast, RvR guild.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    www.citadelguild.com
    Options
  • Zaxq
    Zaxq
    ✭✭✭
    No
    lol, poll kinda backfired on the muppets whining about everything.
    Options
  • Brank
    Brank
    ✭✭✭
    No
    How do you think it would affect reinforcement if you could just respawn right beside the battle? Not only does it provide consequence for dying, but it also makes possible this style of castle warefare. I think it's perfect. Does it suck to run/ride all the way to the battle, only to die on the way or as soon as you get there? Yes. Can you be more careful about picking your routes, to travel in groups, be aware of gankers, and not run head first into a fray when you get there? I hope so.

Your opening line made me think of the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYA9ufivbDw
    Options
  • Torasi
    Torasi
    ✭✭
    No
    @Brank I appreciate your detailed and well spoken criticism. The video is a graceful touch as well. Kudos to you good sir. I myself voted "No", because I find the complaints to be (for lack of a better term) ill advised. As people childishly throw temper tantrums as the get slaughtered through PvP because of their lack of tactical sense. I often find that I myself get caught up in this as well, thus my hunger for the forums opinion was born. I'm happy to say that you sir, have satiated that hunger.
    Options
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    No
    This is a tough one, Yes and no i guess the travel time has to be brought in line with how long it normally takes to capture a keep. Currently Its about right, reinforcements can arrive in time. If they are to shorten it they need to shorten the time to capture keeps.
    Options
  • Funkitron
    Funkitron
    ✭✭
    No
    It needs to take a sufficiently long time to get back to make defending worthwhile, if you can slowly whittle down the enemies numbers you still have a chance. Particularly against greater numbers. Otherwise you end up with GW2 style keep capture races where you avoid the enemies forces as much as possible.
    Options
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Long travels means that death actually means something. You kill someone at a battle and they are out of the battle or keep siege. This system also make keep supply lines and ports important. you take away travel time and it would be like GW2 where you kill someone and they are right back in less than a minute.

A lot of people also forget there horses will get a lot faster as they feed them every day.

Also old school Darkage of Camelot took you 15 to 20 minutes to run back from your gate threw the frontiers to the hotspots of the milegates.
    Options
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    A recent game with RvR had porting all over the map easily and short travel times. It was called Guild Wars 2 and the small size of the maps was possibly the worst thing to ever happen. Your entire force on the map was forced into being in one giant blob because any time a keep or tower was threatened, the entire map could port to the nearest waypoint and respond to the threat before anything could be taken. I will never play another game where the optimum tactic is being forced to run everyone in the same group.

I love the distance between objectives. It means you have to siege from the open field, giving defenders the advantage, it makes you choose tactical positioning and clever use of forward camps to be an offensive force on a map. Would never want to see any part of the map size changed, I'd be in favor of it being even bigger with more outposts between keeps as well.
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    CEO & Founder of [KG] Knight Gaming
    @RivenEsq
    Options
  • Dleatherus
    Dleatherus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    i would be totally in favor of NO fast travel in cyrodiil period

this would make strategy and consequences come into play

the 100 man zergs could easily be outplayed by a 40 man group split into working on two objectives at the same time

right now the 100 man zerg just zips here, zips there - and having been one of those involved before in a large zerg the amount of skill and strategy involved in that playstyle - ZERO

D.
    Stands in Puddles VR12 NB
    Dleatherus VR10 Templar

Emperor Farmers, cheaters and exploiters - just like cockroaches in real life, Tamriel will never be rid of them
    Options
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Fine as it is.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

Options
  • Aballister
    Aballister
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If think the travel time is about right. I like the way you can disrupt the opposition returning by taking out one of the travel links.
    Dark Elf Sorc(AD)
    Options
  • Royalty27
    Royalty27
    ✭✭
    No
    Fine as it currently is.
    Options
  • adri_sumb14_ESO
    No
    Reduce time travel and what you end up with is GW2 PvP.
    Options
  • LGAllastair
    LGAllastair
    ✭✭
    No
    Dleatherus wrote: »
    i would be totally in favor of NO fast travel in cyrodiil period

this would make strategy and consequences come into play

the 100 man zergs could easily be outplayed by a 40 man group split into working on two objectives at the same time

right now the 100 man zerg just zips here, zips there - and having been one of those involved before in a large zerg the amount of skill and strategy involved in that playstyle - ZERO

D.
    I understand the point, but there comes a time when frustration outweights realism and strategy complexity. I think they got a good measure with the way it is now. It is complex enough to be fun and engaging. Strategy plays a big part in it, movement, speed and coordination still matter. But at the same time it's not so frustrating that when things go south people wanna leave out of frustration.

It is a fine line, hardcore players will normally stay no matter what and do what it takes to achieve the goal, but hardcore players are the minority. Most people quit when they perceive their time is being thrown away (running from A to B in 10 minutes, dying, running again, dying again, repeat). THe fast travel they have up still makes death impacting and meaningful and enables a good chunk of possible effective strategies without being too frustrating for disorganized/ casual public, which is ideal for an MMO to suceed IMO.
    Edited by LGAllastair on April 25, 2014 5:13PM
    Vokundein
    Kristanna - Guild Leader of Vokundein, High Elder of LG
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Options
  • Dleatherus
    Dleatherus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    @LGAllastair‌

i agree with you that many people would find it frustrating to the point of rage quitting

I can always hope for the day when ZOS comes out with campaigns with varying rulesets

hell, i'd even PAY (within reason) for a campaign where you could select from a menu a set of customizeable rules

D.
    Stands in Puddles VR12 NB
    Dleatherus VR10 Templar

Emperor Farmers, cheaters and exploiters - just like cockroaches in real life, Tamriel will never be rid of them
    Options
  • Zerl
    Zerl
    ✭✭✭
    No
    It's fine as it is now.

You really worried about the travel times, then go buy some damn soulstones!
    Options
  • LGAllastair
    LGAllastair
    ✭✭
    No
    Zerl wrote: »
    It's fine as it is now.

You really worried about the travel times, then go buy some damn soulstones!
    When a player kills you you can't ress in place with a soulstone, only other people can ress you. You can only ress in place with a stone when you die to a PvE source.
    Vokundein
    Kristanna - Guild Leader of Vokundein, High Elder of LG
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Options
  • Torasi
    Torasi
    ✭✭
    No
    I don't understand why so many people think that you can rez yourself with soul gems....it's not PVE....so buying them is not beneficial to you, but certainly saves your team.
    Options
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Nope. You can teleport between your own keeps. Having to walk/run/ride to the enemies is perfectly fine with me.
    Options
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its ok with a fast horse.
    Options
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    this poll got smashed lol.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

Options
  • Tobiz
    Tobiz
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Dont go to Cyrodiil without a horse. I tried, it sucks.
    Besides that I applaud the devs and decicion makers that dared make a truly large scale AvA. Granted its mostly ZvZ but every now and then there are tactical groups forming for a diversion here, a successful capture deep behind enemy lines there. I cant wait to be viable in Cyrodiil, 'cause currently at 32 and clueless as how to kill other players unless theyre around my level.
    Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.
    Options
  • rich_nicholsonb16_ESO
    No
    the OP is probably from GW2 where the maps were too small and u could get from top to bottom within a few mins....it's fine as it is thanks, it spreads the action out and allows small groups to roam without being zerged down every few minutes. I love it.
    Patch 1.2.3 nerfed the game....
    Zergballing wrecked pvp......

Now waiting for Camelot Unchained!!
    Options
  • Rustybucket
    Rustybucket
    Soul Shriven
    No
    What!? People want a huge map for Cyrodiil and then they want to be able to instantly travel around it? NO. I like feeling like the land is huge and it makes me give thought to my tactics.
    Options
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I think it's just fine, it's a huge map so what did people expect? I played Skyrim, Oblivion and I am used to things like this. Just grab a horse and you'll be fine and also that is what the Forward Camps are for... and yes they probably should make the limited one purchasable for less AP.
    Options
  • pad11
    pad11
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I voted No...I just feel that it is the penalty of all the travel makes dying suck :smiley: LOL! So i'm fine with it...HOWEVER...boy howdy it'd be nice if the Forward camps worked correctly...holy bananas they get annoying...

Options