Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Increased Duration on DoTs?

Maverick827
Maverick827
✭✭✭✭✭
The DK Ardent Flame passive Searing Heat increases the duration of three abilities by 2 seconds. Two of these abilities apply DoTs. Obviously, if you increase the length of a DoT, you lower its DPS.

Two points into Searing Heat also increases the damage of these abilities by 3%, but that is a very small amount compared to the 25% increase in duration, which for a DoT is 25% less DPS.

Furthermore, a morph of one of these abilities (Searing Strike -> Burning Embers) causes the ability to heal you when the effect ends. But this passive increases the duration. All of this seems very counter-intuitive.

I realize this is probably small potatoes as far as fixing class skills are concerned, but it bothers me none the less.
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    Hmm, that's a good point. Are you sure that it doesn't give an extra damage tick per second added? If not, I guess the logic would be that it spreads the damage longer, allowing you to do other attacks without needing to reapply it as often?

With the other morph, you do increased damage the longer the dot goes, so I believe it would actually benefit that morph. However, the healing morph does get worse, you are right in that department.
  • Killabees
    Killabees
    If you increase the length of a DoT then you will get the same dps just more damage for the use of skill. The skill will just last longer.

DoT applied does 10 damage over 10 seconds, if you make it last 12 seconds it will do 12 damage. instead of reappling the dot every 10 seconds you have 12 seconds to reapply.

I think haha
    Edited by Killabees on April 22, 2014 4:35PM