Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

allocating stat points

chipz99
chipz99
Hi All,

im a level 9 NB archer, i am not sure where is should focus my stat points on. i have currently put all my points in stamina but would like some opinions on if i should keep the majority in stamina or start putting points in health and Magic. i guess this may have to do with if i will be using more class skills than weapon skills and this may turn into a two part question on the best route to take for an effective NB archer.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've found the 49 you get to allocate really don't matter all that much (considering upper level enchants). If you do find yourself using more magica abilities than stamina though, it'd make sense to focus more on that (having a bigger pool and slightly harder hitting abilities).

One big benefit to stamina though is sprinting, since that's a flat cost and not a % of the bar.
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heya!

It really depend of how you want to build your character. But this is a tip that should not be too wrong, at least to start with.
    - IF you plan to PVP a lot starting at level 10, maybe put half of your point in health or more
    - IF you are using mainly Classes abilities or staffs, put most point in Magika
    - IF you are using mainly Weapons abilities, put all your point in Stamina
    - IF you are using a lot of your Classes abilities, but enjoy sneak, sprint, or need to block, dodge a lot, put a nice mix of magika and stamina

As you level you will fastly see what ressource you are using the most and where you need to put your point. DO not worry to make any mistakes as you can respec your points (quite expensive though)
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elloa wrote: »
    As you level you will fastly see what ressource you are using the most and where you need to put your point. DO not worry to make any mistakes as you can respec your points (quite expensive though)
    100g per point 'expensive'?

At 10 maybe, though that's less than three stacks of refined raw mats any character can make, but not at the levels at which you realise your point distribution sucks.

Edited by KerinKor on April 22, 2014 2:37PM
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    100g per point 'expensive'?
    Unless I'm mistaking, but you can not just remove 1 skill. Its either all your point or not at all, right? Atleast when I went to the stone myself to remove 1 morph, I only saw that it would cost me 5k, wich was way too much for me, who still have not bought the first horse :P
    In this case it's very expensive if you respe just for one or two misplaced skill points.
    Edited by Elloa on April 22, 2014 7:13PM
  • LulzLou
    LulzLou
    You only get +10 per point for Magicka and Stamina. You get so much more out of it if you put all your HP in Health (15 per point).

49 points in stamina/magicka = 490
    49 points in HP = 735
    Unless they changed it and I didn't see it in the patch notes

At VR10 I have over 2k hp without buffs and my magicka is overcharged because of my gear. The funny thing is, my HP isn't even overcharged. You can have 3 sets of armor. One for magicka, another for stamina and lastly for a good mix between the two.
    Edited by LulzLou on April 22, 2014 7:31PM
  • chipz99
    chipz99
    great feedback thanks. but still confused on where i should be adding stat points. i want to be ranged dps so should i just balance all 3 or is that a bad idea?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    chipz99 wrote: »
    great feedback thanks. but still confused on where i should be adding stat points. i want to be ranged dps so should i just balance all 3 or is that a bad idea?

My approach for leveling is to focus on the stat I use the most. I'm not getting killed by mobs over and over (and honestly pumping health wouldn't help that if I was) so I never put into health. I see that as an end game/min-max thing.

If I were you I'd just do magica if I was using primarily class skills, stamina if I was using mostly weapon skills, or balanced if I was doing both.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where ever you put your points, you can 'fix' it by adding enchantments to your armor to balance it.

But as it costs to redo your skill points most recommend putting everything into HP (as you get 15 instead of 10 per point) and then getting your magic and stamina from enchantments on your armor.

As long as you put some enchantments on your armor, putting all your skill points into HP is not a bad thing and keeps it simply.
  • LulzLou
    LulzLou
    chipz99 wrote: »

Its really up to you. There isn't a way of truly messing up your character. Reseting skills/stats don't cost much. When I first started playing I had most of my points in magicka until I realized how much I was lacking. Maybe it doesn't matter that much at lower levels.

I'd say do a lot in magicka or stamina for leveling purposes then when you get VR1+, from here you can decide whether to reset into all HP. My main is a VR10 Breton Sorc Bow/D-Staff Dps with all my points in HP and magicka enchanted gear. I never have a problem with magicka and when I do, I know I'm doing something wrong in that current situation.

Just play around with it and have fun. I reset my stats once and my skills 3 times to fully understand my class and skills. I might do it another skill reset 1-2 more times to experiment even further.

Edited by LulzLou on April 22, 2014 8:13PM
  • dpayne83_ESO
    dpayne83_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you're a bow NB then you are using more bow abilities than NB (outside of some abilities from the siphoning tree which really help with some cc). I would say more in stam. I'm a bow/duel-wield NB and I use my weapon abilities more after my openers (Scorched Earth ->swap to daggers->Ambush->killing strike-> DW abilities). I do utilize some siphoning abilities as well.