Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar Questions

Kronz
Kronz
✭✭✭
Ok so I just hit vet 3 as a Templar but after reviewing some posts here on the forums due to down time I had a few questions in regards to tempars and how they fare compared to other classes.

1. Healing - This is the only role I have played so far in vet Dungeons. My friends and I just beat our first vet dungeon banished cells last night which was quite fun. It seems a popular opinion that Templars healing isn't quite as good or efficient as other classes. I am not sure why this is as I feel very strong as a healer. The only down side is I contribute almost 0 dps. Are healers expected to or needed to contribute more then just auto attacks with a resto staff dps wise in vet dungeons? The amount of damage my group takes seems to keep on my toes most of the time with only time for some heavy attacks with resto staff. I Would def be afraid to dump mana on casted abilities to assist as I am literally downing a potion every time the CD is up, glad I went arogonian alchemist lol. The only way I can being able to contribute with dps more is to heal with a bow out or something.

2. Caster DPS - AOE wise I feel pretty strong as with the synergy that solar barrage has with Impulse seems very good. Is this not on par with sorc or other classes aoe potential? Also I morphed impulse to elemental ring, is pulsar a better choice here?

• Davinna
    Davinna
    Soul Shriven
    As a VR6 Templar, I've now run 3 vet dungeons: Banished Cells, Fungal Grotto, and Spindleclutch. Being a healer I have not run with another class spec'd for healing. But I have a hard time imagining another class being a more efficient healer. Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't Templars the only class with a dedicated healing skill tree with healing ultimate and passives?

That said, the group size of 4 allows a tank, healer and 2 dps. If the damage being taken by the other party members is low, I'll weapon swap to apply Reflective Light or drop my ultimate Solar Prison. My groups have been successful with this dynamic.

I can't speak to caster DPS at Vet Ranks. I switched to sword and board at VR for my alternate weapon. Pre-VR I used Destro Staff and also morphed to elemental ring. Seemed like the right choice.
  • Raynekatt
    Raynekatt
    Davinna wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't Templars the only class with a dedicated healing skill tree with healing ultimate and passives?

It is. The only other choices are the Siphon skills in NightBlade (leech skills) and the Restoration Staff.

• jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    You can still do decent dps using a bow and not worry about using up your magicka for heals. Just keep breathe of blessing, repentance, & your healing ult on your bar. That should be more than enough to keep your teammates up and still do damage. Granted, you won't be doing as much damage as the damage dealers but that's expected.

I don't think many people know much about repentance but it gives back 200 hp and stamina to you and your nearby allies for every monster kill and it's free to cast. It's great for dungeons because you often get big 6-10 monster pulls. It's not the most reliable healing skill since it requires dead monsters but it's great for keeping your teammates going, or letting the bodies save up on the ground until someone needs a heal and then activating it for the free heal.
    Edited by jmido8 on April 22, 2014 5:40PM
  • Kronz
    Kronz
    ✭✭✭
    I thought repentance only healed me? If it heals allies that's great
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    Kronz wrote: »
    I thought repentance only healed me? If it heals allies that's great

Yeah, for some reason everyone says that but it can certainly heal others. I don't know specifics like the range your allies need to be within or the number of people it can heal, but it definitely heals more than just yourself.

Edited by jmido8 on April 22, 2014 9:08PM