Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

if i dont morph an ability, does that mean it never goes up?

merk
merk
✭✭
I have some abilities that I use frequently, but haven't morphed yet and just realized they are all stuck at lvl 4. I assume as an ability goes up in lvls, it does more damage? If so I assume I really should morph them if i use them often huh?
  • trahe
    trahe
    ✭✭
    Without doing any research what-so-ever I will share my preconception... if I use a spell that does 20 points of damage, each time I level that damage goes up a little. If I morph the ability it could do those points area affect, or it could do those points and a 40% snare.
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will not continue to level up, so you will not see any increases from that. The ability will continue to scale upwards due to increases in magicka/stamina and weapon damage/spell damage, but if you have a spare skill point, morphing your favored abilities is the first thing that you should do.
    The Psijic Order
  • merk
    merk
    ✭✭
    Ok so just to be clear - when the spell does go up a lvl, it does have an increased effect correct? So not morphing a spell is basically reducing how powerful that skill/spell is since it's no longer going up, correct?
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not morphing is just choosing not to get the perks associated with the morphing... it'll still scale, but you're deliberately gimping your utility.
  • gweatherall_ESO
    Morphing won't affect the damage of the skill unless the morph somehow changes the damage. For example, morphing assassin's blade into killer's blade adds a heal. Leveling the morph increases the amount healed, but not the damage done. Leveling your character increases the damage done with or without the morph.
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that thats the case. Increasing rank does increase the base effect of the ability, so morphs unlocking new ranks will do the same.

Its possible that increased ranks only increases one aspect of the skill; for example, Carve increases damage (the base effect) while keeping the ultimate increase the same regardless of rank (the morph). Restraining Prison, on the other hand, keeps the base immobilization the same while improving the the snare. Might need to test this on a case by case basis.
    The Psijic Order
  • merk
    merk
    ✭✭
    Well thats makes it simple lol

So basically it depends entirely on the specific skill/spell if going past lvl 4 will increase the base effect, or if it just increases whatever the morph ads to the base ability.

How do you find this stuff out? Do you just have to morph it and then wait till that skill levels to see what goes up?
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That, or check a skill calculator and watch for general trends. Personally, I use the ESOhead calculator.
    The Psijic Order