Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fiery Reach is the most annoying skill ever.

samooryesordb14_ESO
I understand we need skills like the the Nightblades jump/teleport and the charge at target skill for 2handers and the Templar one. But, this darn skill Dragon Knights use is royally ticking me off.
I play melee characters.. I always have in games and always will. Now, when i'm playing alone, enjoying my time killing some mobs for a quest. It REALLY irritates me when some idiot Dragon Knight comes walking by and uses his annoying Fiery Reach skill just to tag the target so he can loot it. Seriously!? WHY?! I freaken hate you people!
I don't see any reason for it. It ticks me off every single time someone uses it on an enemy i'm just casually killing and I'm about to use my last attack to kill it and all of a sudden some jerk thinks it's fun or he/she thinks they're helping me out or something. I don't see any reason for it and for some reason it just REALLY gets to me. Please, i'm begging all of you Dragon Knights! STOP!
Edited by ZOS_TristanK on April 23, 2014 4:18AM
  • Omniphonic
    Omniphonic
    ✭✭
    while i sympathize with your plight, i feel your words fall on deaf ears.
  • greenephenoixb16_ESO
    greenephenoixb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Out of all the skills in all the skill trees I have to say that Firey Reach is probably the worst positioned skill out of all of them.

Firey Reach is a fantastic skill when used properly within group combat. Useful for the initial pull or yanking back a mob that's decided to take a nibble of the healer, but outside of that it's one of the most annoying skills for anyone who's not the DK in question that you can come across.

Being one of the first skills that you can get in the DK skill trees most players end up using the skill constantly in single play. By the time they get into proper group play, or areas containing lots of players most DKs will have gotten into bad habits, not realising how irritating it is for other melee characters to have your target yanked half way across the room and having to chase after it.

IMO Firey Reach should be moved further up the skill tree, at the minimum Firey Reach and Searing Strikes should swap places, that way DKs will have had some sort of chance to learn about group dynamics before getting this skill, or developing bad habits. Unlikely to happen, and certainly not going to stop abuse of the skill, but it should lessen the impact somewhat.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there is no loot stealing in this game, i think you might be overreacting a bit. Sure, i can see why hitting thin air until you realize the mob is gone might be a tad bit annoying, but it's not like you don't get credit for the kill or lose your loot.

With all the other things that need fixing, i think this one is far way down at the bottom of the list ...
    :)
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    I just find it incredibly obnoxious when I'm happily wailing away at a mob by myself, have it almost dead and some DK runs up out of nowhere and yanks it away from me causing me to mix my execute or some other skill.

It can also cause issues with mobs resetting.
    Case in point: I was running around with a friend of mine and we decided to engage one of the world bosses on the coast. We had the thing down to around 10% health and of course, some random DK runs up out of the blue, yanks it out into the water and caused it to reset so we had to start it all over again from full health.

I know it's not a huge deal, but it can be really irritating.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easily abused, yes, and that does make it very annoying.

My brother and I have a set of characters we play though - me a 2hander templar and him a sword and board dragonknight - and we've worked out a system. I'll use critical rush (2h) to charge an enemy and cause massive damage while he hangs back. After my initial charge, he pulls the enemy to him with fiery reach, and I do a second critical charge back at the target. usually that little two-move combo will kill any typical mob with very little time or resources required, since critical rush does increased damage based on distance from the target and is always a critical hit.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha! Yes this skill winds me up no end!

It's always just when i'm swinging a twohanded uppercut or something and look like an idiot swinging my weapon at nothing. Or most of all when i'm waiting for a solo dungeon boss to spawn and some newcomer to the place yanks him out of reach.

Which reminds me.. Bots in dungeons seem to be now using this skill and waiting a bit away from the spawn to do precisely this so it raises the chance of them getting loot.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im going to do this to people now on purpose.
  • mike.crewsb14_ESO
    Destructive Reach, baby. B)
  • Cozy
    Cozy
    Im going to do this to people now on purpose.

That says a lot about your mentality tbh.
  • yenkin2001b14_ESO
    yenkin2001b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I love fiery reach, through I only toy with my DK, where it is misused is in dungeons on the End mob, those DK who bouce the target around make it difficult for other classes to get hits on them for targeting. I have asked more that once in dungeons for DK's to stop pulling the mob away from others. As everyone should have an opportunity to tag and kill mobs. That or we need to start doing more instances.
  • dmorisettenub19_ESO
    I play a DK and yes, I use that often when soloing, it quite often pulls without agroing other mobs and has a nice dmg buff for next hit. I don't use it for much for bosses unless there is an obvious bot, then I pull away fromhim every chance I get, lol.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many folks here remember the FOTM Death Knights in WoW on release of WOTLK spamming Death Grip? Same thing here.
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO needs to adopt RIFT's way of encouraging community support. Almost everything in RIFT works to encourage grouping, or just multiple people chiming in and helping other people out when needed. I have always loved that aspect of RIFT. Let me explain what I mean. In RIFT, no matter how many people engage a target, no matter who hit the target first, everyone gets to loot it. So, this fosters a community who is more than willing to help someone out if they happen to be out running around and see someone struggling with a mob, or they just want to join in, or somehow you both targeted the mob at the same time. I'm not saying you were struggling at all or anything like that.. please don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that perhaps if ESO adopted a mob targeting policy that allowed anyone who engaged a target to get loot, this might help you not feel so angry when someone has, for lack of a better word, "stolen your mob" from you.

• Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    Not a huge deal I know, but YES, it annoys me to no damn end! Mostly because I'm a territorial killer in MMO's (whose also a whiny baby at times - I'll identify some of those times with an [*] below), and if I killed it from 100% to at least 25%, DON'T YOU F***ING TOUCH IT! MINE, MINE, MINE!!! [*]

But seriously though, try to think of your fellow gamer before leaping into the fray for no reason whatsoever... There are many who prefer seamless grinding of mobs to increase xp gains, and interrupting with that mind-numblingly stupid [*] power is just uncalled for when some classes need that final hit for a magicka and/or health boost... or to look cool for their mental scrapbook entitled "cool sh*t I remember doing and will brag about at every opportunity".

Now, specifically in my case, perhaps when you, bored Dragonknight, came traipsing along with fire in your eyes and nothing to do, I probably had just slaughtered two of a three mob pack and am really needing an Assassin's Blade or a Drain Essence to top me off for my next murderous rampage. Or even more probable: Maybe I just prefer sucking the blood out of my kills before their lifeless bodies fall to the ground, a stunned look of "What the hell just happened? We had him totally outnumbered!" washing over their faces before the silent quietus of death takes them. And YOU, bored Dragonknight, robbed me of that joy... How dare you! [*] How dare all of you!! [*]
    "QUIT CRYIN'! Do some pushups or something!"

Grayfield - V2 Breton Nightblade
    Windspike - 40 Bosmer Sorceror
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    I don't even have it on my bar anymore on my DK, because of how annoying I find it when others use it. Then again, my DK is focused on dps and aoe. I suppose if I was tanking, it'd still be there.
  • gunplummer
    gunplummer
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but this is really funny. I do admit that I will occasionally while bored and aimlessly wandering around "kill Snatch" a target. I realize it is extremely annoying, but at the same time to see the other player wiff is a riot. It's my stress release from dealing with a bug, bot, or some other frustrating situation. So I am truly sorry for taking it out on you guys. I will try to do it less.

On the other hand it is a very useful skill at dark anchors. Fiery chain followed by shield bash is a great combo especially with sorc AoE spells that destroy a mob before I get a chance to place a single hit. So it does go both ways. And it is nice to try to steal a kill from boss bots.

• Hellkath
    Hellkath
    There's nothing more satisfying then having a DK pull the mob away from you with Fiery Grip, only to pull it right back to yourself afterwerds! .. .happened quite a few times and I couldn't stop laughing maniacally by myself at home!
    Muahahah! MUAHAHAHA!!
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    Hellkath wrote: »
    There's nothing more satisfying then having a DK pull the mob away from you with Fiery Grip, only to pull it right back to yourself afterwerds! .. .happened quite a few times and I couldn't stop laughing maniacally by myself at home!
    Muahahah! MUAHAHAHA!!

DK tug-o-war? Video please! :D

• Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eh, it's about as much fun as watching a WoW deathgrip tug o' war.
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    Deathgrip had a cooldown. Fiery Grip doesn't. I wanna see a Three Stooges style DK tug-o-war!

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sihnfahl wrote: »
    How many folks here remember the FOTM Death Knights in WoW on release of WOTLK spamming Death Grip? Same thing here.

I played a deathknight when wotlk released, an unholy tank, and even I hated death grip. Too many dps using it to pull, too many bad tanks using it as an opener instead of saving it for those emergency situations when a healer is being pulverized.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Rurdrick
    Rurdrick
    Personally, I love this for pvp, I pull one person on top off a wall and they are either killed by players and mages or they commit suicide.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love when they do that , even more on dungeon bosses.

here is the thing , if the target if on the floor , you cant drag them.

So i charge every single time , and the guy loses the boss kill :P.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor