Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are you only ”supposed” to put skill points in one class tree?

deamill
deamill
Hi fellow players,

I have a question, i know there is not a definitive answer :wink: But are you only ”supposed” to put skill points in one class tree?

I ask because in the beginning (at low level) with few abilities available, then you most likely would take one ability from each class tree and some weapon/armor abilities, just to get something going (and to get something on your action bar).

But as you progress, then you have to remove some of the spells from you action bar, since there is only room for 5 abilities (+ultimate). I know you can swap at 15, but even though you have more abilities than you can stack on the bar. Hence making some spent skill points wasted.

I appreciate the low amount of skills you can use, since I think blizzard (WOW) has done wrong with giving you tons of abilities, but it is frustrating to have spent skill points in something you actually stops using because you get other skills unlocked.

If you could just respect at a low cost I guess you could work around it by just putting more into crafting etc. when abilities gets “outdated”, but my last respect was about +4 K, which was a lot to me.

So what do you guys do, focus on 1 tree, and then ignoring all other active abilities in armor, weapons, class etc.?

Cheers.
:smiley:
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummm early in the game I recommend an ability from all three trees so you can level them all. If you don't plan on ever using a tree at all then I guess you don't need any points in it.

Racial and Armor Passives are very good when you run out of abilities you NEED for your current desired build. Weapon abilities can be apart of your build if you desire which will also need points and leveling.
  • Laerune
    Laerune
    ✭✭✭
    It realy depends on what you want your character to have. Like Shauna98ca2 has said, its a smart idea to put atleast 1 skill of all 3 class lines in your bar, just so you can level them.

Then as you level and reach endgame, you need to decide for yourself, what you think your character needs to survive in Tamriel when he or she is facing a enemy.

Personaly, I always try to find skills that have good synergy with each other or skills which you can use to form a combo, fine example could be: You cast a skill to root alot of enemies on one spot then you unleash a big AoE skill, this same AoE skill triggers a passive which makes you regain HP, MP or stamina.

A fine example is for my Dragon Knight, I will focus on leveling all 3 class skills (because they all have a skill or a passive that I could use with my other skills). I will also level Mages Guild, Destruction, Racial, Restoration, Light and heavy armour. When I am done leveling those skill-lines, I will then (if I have skill points left) focus on other skill-lines that have a good synergy with my build.

This game gives you alot of skill-points and alot of options, sticking to one class skill-line seems pointless, because you will be able learn all 3 class skills, because you get alot of points.

My advice is to do this:
    1) Ask yourself, what you want your character to be in this game. The roles of your character for example, healer, dps, tank, support or a hybrid.

2) Look at sites like Esohead so you can plan ahead what kind of build you want and you can look at the morphs that some skills provide.

3) Try to atleast have 1 crowd controll spell, 1 spell that heals or triggers a heal and a AoE for the packs. You could always make one bar single type dps and another one AoE type dps or one bar could be a dps and another bar could provide the heals, cc, tanking skills.

I hope, I have informed you on what you can do.

Have fun.
    Edited by Laerune on April 21, 2014 8:14AM
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also FYI for ANYBODY reading this. If you don't like all 3 skill lines of a class MIGHT want to consider a reroll to a class that you DO. Just sayin.
  • deamill
    deamill
    Thanks for the advice guys, i will try and figure out which way to go with my toon :wink: But it does seems like you get many skill points, so maybe i shouldn't be to afraid about spending them.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • deamill
    deamill
    Ohh, thats alot :smiley:
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    deamill wrote: »
    Hi fellow players,

I have a question, i know there is not a definitive answer :wink: But are you only ”supposed” to put skill points in one class tree?

I ask because in the beginning (at low level) with few abilities available, then you most likely would take one ability from each class tree and some weapon/armor abilities, just to get something going (and to get something on your action bar).

Cheers.
    :smiley:
    I believe you are supposed to choose what makes sense to you, personally I haven't found one tree that gives enough abilities for combat (especially as a sorceror) and so have spread them into all three class trees.

You have to be clever about what you select, but too tight a spread and you hamstring your character. Skyshards help too, giving you an extra skill point for every three you collect.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You dont have to go All in, but certainly 1 or so. Now i dont always have them all on my bar. But there are times when they get shiffled around depending what i am trying to do.
  • Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess it depends on your build. I have a 'sorceror' who only ever uses Storm Calling, because she is primarily a heavy armored, two-handed wielding warrior.

Have never put a point in any dark magic or daedra summoning, since I wouldn't ever have them on my bar anyway. None of those skill lines fit the concept or close any holes in my characters build.
  • trahe
    trahe
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry to say that I have a hard time looking into the future because I have not used one of those class building programs. What I have done instead is create multiple classes and tested different things. Also, I've respec'd three of my guys around level 12 just to try different things.

For instance, I made one of my Sorcerers a glass cannon by only choosing Storm Caller. I know I could get more defense by wearing heavy armor but I wear light armor for the magic improvements.

Another Sorcerer I respec'd to Daedra Summoning. In my five slots I have Morphed Curse so it blows up after 3 seconds, a fire carpet to toast their little toesies, a touch spell that blows them away from me, the flying daedra for future healing and my little imp guy morphed so he explodes on demand or when he dies.

Of the two, the summoning guy is the most fun to play and the most survivable. The imp tanks, the flying chicken lady gets taken out first, the curse is awesome damage, the flame carpet lights up the room and hits multiple targets and the fist of pain keeps the major damage dealers away from me.

But the more I read the more I realize that there are synergies between different trees and that I'm missing out on them by focusing on one tree only. My advice is similar to the above posts... mix and match. Oh, and don't forget to add Soul Stone from the World tree to your five spots at some time or another. That is an awesome ability.
  • MasterLanz
    MasterLanz
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't really a problem with having more skills than you can use at once. Different skills are useful for different situations and you can get mods that let you build skill presets for various situations. For a basic example, I have fighter's guild skills like silverbolt on my nightblade, but I only use silver bolt when fighting daedra/undead.

You can get a lot of skill points. Even if you invested heavily into armor and crafting passives, you'd have a very hard time spending all your skill points without having more actives than you can fit on your bar. Get what you like and go with it. The character system is extremely forgiving.
  • deamill
    deamill
    Thx for the good comments.

I guess i never saw it as an option to have skills you haven't equipped all the time. But as many of you say, it makes good sense to have abilities which you only equip for certain situations.

Fx. i have trained the Cleave ability, but on single target encounters i could just equip the Lava Whip ability instead etc.

I guess i am just used the old WOW style, where you can see all you abilities all the time.

Cheers :blush:
  • Bounee
    Bounee
    Falmer wrote: »
    Guess it depends on your build. I have a 'sorceror' who only ever uses Storm Calling, because she is primarily a heavy armored, two-handed wielding warrior.

Have never put a point in any dark magic or daedra summoning, since I wouldn't ever have them on my bar anyway.
    You missed one passive in Daedra summoning tree for less expensive Ultimate abilities called Power stone.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    Ummm early in the game I recommend an ability from all three trees so you can level them all. If you don't plan on ever using a tree at all then I guess you don't need any points in it.

Racial and Armor Passives are very good when you run out of abilities you NEED for your current desired build. Weapon abilities can be apart of your build if you desire which will also need points and leveling.

Or if you pre-built your character with any ESO character calculator, you can pick only one, maybe two skill lines in the class and a few from weapons and get going.

You start getting extra skill points by around level 30....unless you want to put a skill point in all skills, class, weapons, racial, world, guilds (both) etc...

mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Plan ahead, check the skill line you want the latter skills of azsap.
    (like impulse from the destruction staff skillline)
    Place 2 skill of that thing on your bar and it will level faster :)

Like for DK i wanted dragonblood asap, so i put skills on my bar from dragon, just didnt morph them.

Another tip is to not take passives early on the benefit is negligible as opposed to more flexibility form skills.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deamill wrote: »
    Hi fellow players,

Short answer: no

Long answer:
    You are going to get a LOT of skillpoints just playing the game (unless you are one of those grind-happy ARPG wannabes), so you don't need to worry *too much* about putting them in abilities from trees you aren't as likely to use. As someone else said, it's good to level them all, thus you need an ability from each.

Most classes have at least one reallllly good ability in each tree AFAIK, and some pretty deep down. So it makes sense to level all three.
    Unless you plan on maxing out EVERY crafting profession and >1 armor line and all the guild lines and the pvp trees, you won't need to worry about a shortage of skill points.

Plus, you can always respec (for a lot of gold).
  • Tazocin
    Tazocin
    Always try and leave options open. I find at different points I have a scarcity of skillpoints then, as I wait for the next big skill to come up and I max out the passives I have an abundance of them, it ebbs and flows.

As has been said, Get at least one skill in each tree so you can level them. The ultimate slot also contributes to this. sure, you dont want them now but maybe, 40 level in that dmg shield might be useful, or that heal over time is gonna save you in the Vet content.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea I personally don't spend skill points just because I have spare skill points unused. I always look ahead to what abilities will be morphing soon or what ability line will unlock a new skill that I can put a point into. This usually leads me to needing 3/4 skill points in the near future, so I just hand on to them. And as someone said you can respec your skill points (costs a ton) so it's not a one way street.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • Danpb14_ESO
    Nope.