Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Dodging Useless

Zagadka
Zagadka
✭✭
Hm, putting this here because there isn't really a forum for it...

Double tap to dodge is great in the positional combat that is the basis of this game... but through all of my characters, I find that it is almost useless, since it takes such a large amount of stamina.
As a result, I use dodge almost exclusively for traps and emergencies.
Does anyone else feel that this is a wasted resource?
  • Lox
    Lox
    ✭✭✭
    Its a fine balance. Making it cost little stamina runs the risk of making it almost a spammable skill, which would be a terrible idea.

To be honest, I rarely find I need to dodge anyway.
  • Comaetilico
    Comaetilico
    ✭✭✭
    dodge also break out of Root... that makes the cost more than balanced...

also dodge cost is based on "base stamina" that is to say the stamina that you get just by your level and nothing more... so increasing your stamina pool trough equip, passives, food and free stat point will make you able to use more dodge roll before running out of stamina... this same concept apply to block, break free, sprint and sneak
  • Valmond
    Valmond
    ✭✭✭
    Problem with double tap dodge is that it takes time, and forces you to stop if you are running (solution: rebind dodge), which at times is problematic.

Bigger issue is that you can't (or it is very difficult) dodge heavy or light attacks, because npc's hitting you seems to be decided at the start of the swing, while a players is at the end (usefull for pvp, less so for pve).

And yes, it is great for breaking some forms of CC (most roots are broken with it), the main reason to keep it bound to some key.
  • columbineb14_ESO
    columbineb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I use double-tap dodges only to get out of an AOE marker on the ground in a hurry. It never seems to help me evade normal heavy or light attacks, at least from NPCs ... but it makes all the difference against, say, clannfears, who depend heavily on their two AOEs (the charge and the tailsweep) to keep you on your ass the whole fight.

Oh, yeah, forward roll through a fire wall/trap seems to enable you to take slightly less burning damage if you do it right. That's the only other time.
    I have just told you more than I know.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use double-tap dodges only to get out of an AOE marker on the ground in a hurry. It never seems to help me evade normal heavy or light attacks, at least from NPCs ... but it makes all the difference against, say, clannfears, who depend heavily on their two AOEs (the charge and the tailsweep) to keep you on your ass the whole fight.

Oh, yeah, forward roll through a fire wall/trap seems to enable you to take slightly less burning damage if you do it right. That's the only other time.
    You take no damage if you jump over it.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disabled it in the beta after accidentally rolling off a few cliffs and I haven't looked back.
    [DC/NA]
  • columbineb14_ESO
    columbineb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You take no damage if you jump over it.

Huh. Even if it's floor-to-ceiling fire? Interesting. Also counterintuitive. That'll teach me.
    I have just told you more than I know.
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    I myself don't use dodge a lot because - as said before - you're still hit in most case. Even if you're visibly out of range of the attack.

Given its cost it's often a bad idea to dodge. I do use sprint just one sec to try to avoid attacks and if it fails , I'm not out of stamina..

I'd love to see changes applied to the way it works cause currently it could kill me more often than save my ass.

Now the problem is probably that an attack hit or miss when released. Not when it reaches the opponent. That's true for melee, but also ranged attack. That's why a bolt might change its direction to hit you even if you moved on the side.

Given how the game engine works, I won't hold my breath on an easy fix.
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is useless for getting out of red circles, such as the nightblade spinny attack npc's do, you see the red circle so you dodge out and still take the hit...
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    R1ckyDaMan wrote: »
    It is useless for getting out of red circles, such as the nightblade spinny attack npc's do, you see the red circle so you dodge out and still take the hit...

If the attack has a casting time, you can still avoid the attack if you dodged before it has been released.

• R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    grizzbi wrote: »

If the attack has a casting time, you can still avoid the attack if you dodged before it has been released.

not happening with that one attack type.
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    First thing you need to do is disable double tap to dodge and bind dodge to a single key.
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    grizzbi wrote: »

not happening with that one attack type.

my bad, I didn't notice that you talked about a specific attack. Still, many of the red circles attack can be avoided.

I find the red lines attack more random: some hit as far as they begin when others don't. it's more 50/50. And I think it's related to the attacker different kind of animations which bring even more confusion.
    Edited by grizzbi on April 20, 2014 9:44PM
  • DesertYeti
    I very rarely use mine. Mainly use for last minute escapes from special attacks. Hated the dbl tap, so I did as many others suggested and bound roll dodge to another key. If you have a gaming mouse, it's so much nicer to have it mapped to one of the side buttons for easy access.
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dodge has saved my butt a lot of times as a healer in dungeons. Also, don't forget that the only way to avoid being hit by a projectile is through dodging, you can't outrun it or hide behind a wall.
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Works perfectly, the amount of stamina use is good as it means you cant rolly polly across the map.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• draczeqeb17_ESO
    Well the main problem of dodge is that hit is calculated before the animation, which honestly isn't really good system.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dodging and blocking both act too late imo.
    The number of times I've blocked a move only to be knocked on my arse anyway...
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.