Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Potion system

nicholaus81b16_ESO
nicholaus81b16_ESO
Soul Shriven
The Quickslot-system is nothing more than a constant bother and headache. It is most definitely not quick in any way, it hiders you from using a variety of potions during combat, and is in no way adapted to anything but console-players. I currently know of no-one using anything other than healing or magicka potions, or a combined one, so all the other varieties are just cosmetics for the system, and completely useless.

WHEN, can we see a new system for this ISSUE? The web is flooded with forum-threads about people seeing this as the biggest negative the game has.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WHEN, can we see a new system for this ISSUE? The web is flooded with forum-threads about people seeing this as the biggest negative the game has.

Oh, really?
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't say that I have any issue about this to be honest, I have it mapped to the standard Q and it's easy to use that. If people find it hard to use, I guess they're simply not used to these kind of systems before and thus have decided against it based on their own inexperience.

So what is the problem with it? You hold Q and use the mouse to select which item to use. Stat potions that last for an hour are use beforehand, so in essence, what you end up using, is health, magica and stamina potions. I haven't found it problematic to quickly swap between the potions and use them during a battle, and it has saved my group several times when I've run out of magica during healing and had to restore it using a potion. Even when I had to change it, it wasn't problematic at all.

• Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    The quickslot system is not meant to allow you using multiple different potions in combat, as you have to bring up on screen menu to change it. But same as with skills, you should make your choice before engaging in combat.

For example heavy hitting boss slot big heal+HOT and+armor potion, healing dungeon use big magicka+magicka over time+spell critical potion, soloing in Cyrodiil use CC resist+weapon crit+heal etc etc.

Skilled alchemist can make potions with 3 different effects, and this is more then enough to cover it. But if people only use vendor single effect potions, i can see problem easy yes. But as said, basically any 3 effects can be used in single potion.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortuum wrote: »
    The quickslot system is not meant to allow you using multiple different potions in combat, as you have to bring up on screen menu to change it. But same as with skills, you should make your choice before engaging in combat.

For example heavy hitting boss slot big heal+HOT and+armor potion, healing dungeon use big magicka+magicka over time+spell critical potion, soloing in Cyrodiil use CC resist+weapon crit+heal etc etc.

Skilled alchemist can make potions with 3 different effects, and this is more then enough to cover it. But if people only use vendor single effect potions, i can see problem easy yes. But as said, basically any 3 effects can be used in single potion.

I agree. Just like the limit on skill slots, it forces tactical preparation.

I always thought it was ridiculous in games to be able to use 20 different potions while swinging an axe and casting a spell. Does my character have 5 invisible arms, and giant pouches full of unbreakable potions strapped to their armor?

You _can_ fairly easily swap quickslot potions mid-fight, but it forces a delay in your responsiveness. Just like it would in a real fight if you're fumbling around for trinkets and potions in your satchel.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 19, 2014 8:09PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭✭
    Just like the limit on skill slots, it forces tactical preparation.
    Sure, all i need before death it's a tactical preparation! LMAO! :D
  • Synden22
    Synden22
    The old elder scrolls 3 system was way better and more fun too. You bound a thing to each F key, whatever was useful. This is too clunky, so far whenever I get killed it's likely because that quick key slot has suddenly decided there's nothing in it, haven't mastered it's fiddlyness yet but even if I did, one quick key is very miserly for a sorcerer.
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have all my quick slot items bound to my f keys... it makes switching between pots, seige, repair kits or my food very quick ... I don't have to do the whole hold q, rotate to desired item then release q thing
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's addons that allow to assign keys for changing quickslot items. AdvancedUI comes to mind, and there's other dedicated addons too.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greymind is another one... but i like AuI better
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Synden22
    Synden22
    Thanks, I will try that out.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you get use to the system it's very easy to use. Just takes a little effort to get use to because it's different. But different is a good thing; helps keep our brains young.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on December 2, 2016 11:49AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    There's addons that allow to assign keys for changing quickslot items. AdvancedUI comes to mind, and there's other dedicated addons too.

Thank you.

But if you are fast enough you can change quickslot items during fights without addons. Well, most of the times... ;)