Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Server is down ?

Zordrage
Zordrage
✭✭✭✭✭
i just gott a infinite loading screen when entering a dungeon i needed to alt tab and close the game ( this is what i usualy do )
but now i cant log in to my account it just says Error 301

• rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Servers are down it seems.
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/674932

Posted 5 mins ago:
    While we don't have an exact ETA for the server coming back online, it does appear that it will be at least a couple hours. We'll update in this thread when we have more news to share. Thanks for your patience!
    Edited by rioinsigniab16_ESO on April 19, 2014 5:15PM
    How can you soar with eagles.....when you work with turkeys?
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they managed to break stuff at prime time on a weekend.

I shall stand by for the incoming rage.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    il hope they planing to fix something not just a simple maintance that does not add anything

this is the 4th maintance of the week lol....

from the last 3 there was one that did not fixed anything just taked the servers down for 2-3 hours.....
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the bright side, NA cluster seems to be up if you have both installed. =/

Good luck.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • bFunk
    bFunk
    Maintenance during peak hours again, just wondering if they'll compensate the lost time, like Blizzard does or if they think all this lost time should be for us to take out of our play time. Four maintenance sessions in a week and one at prime time?
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Zoliru wrote: »
    il hope they planing to fix something not just a simple maintance that does not add anything

from the last 3 there was one that did not fixed anything just taked the servers down for 2-3 hours.....

Just because you didn't see any quests being fixed, doesn't mean that nothing was fixed at all. In all probability, there are a lot of "behind the scenes" fixes going on. Some of which have obviously had a knock on effect. Such is the life of a software developer. You fix one thing, only for that fix to break something else. Trust me, it isn't easy chasing bugs.

HOWEVER, with that said, that "asmalah" quest needs sorting in Eastmarch.
    When a GM has to appear to get it to spawn, then that needs to be fixed as a priority.
    Edited by rioinsigniab16_ESO on April 19, 2014 5:34PM
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because you didn't see any quests being fixed, doesn't mean that nothing was fixed at all. In all probability, there are a lot of "behind the scenes" fixes going on. Some of which have obviously had a knock on effect. Such is the life of a software developer. You fix one thing, only for that fix to break something else. Trust me, it isn't easy chasing bugs.

When a GM has to appear to get it to spawn, then that needs to be fixed as a priority.

absolutly was nothing fixed on that maintance it was the usual maintance that also blizz does every week once and every other game you know those maintances that does nothing lol

even tough on that day we allready had one bicous of an update lol
    Edited by Zordrage on April 19, 2014 5:36PM
  • incandescent
    incandescent
    ✭✭✭
    At least a couple of hours? And I presume they mean a couple MORE hours?

So that's Saturday evening written off as far as this game is concerned. This game that we're paying for by the DAY.
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    At least a couple of hours? And I presume they mean a couple MORE hours?

So that's Saturday evening written off as far as this game is concerned. This game that we're paying for by the DAY.

Well, like i said in my post, that CS post was posted on the forums 5 mins before mine. So yes, another couple of hours minimum.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

absolutly was nothing fixed on that maintance it was the usual maintance that also blizz does every week once and every other game you know those maintances that does nothing lol

Can't tell if real post, or troll post...

Must analyze further. *fetches gibberish dictionary*
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

With all due respect, what exactly do you think happens when there's apparently no quest fixes? They don't take the servers don't for giggles. And I'm sure that even "megaservers" don't take 2 hours for a simple reboot.

The fact is that players don't get to know every single thing that the server management team does. We only get to know about the things that mean most to us....e.g. game patches.
    Edited by rioinsigniab16_ESO on April 19, 2014 5:43PM
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect, what exactly do you think happens when there's apparently no quest fixes? They don't take the servers don't for giggles. And I'm sure that even "megaservers" don't take 2 hours for a simple reboot.

The fact is that players don't get to know every single thing that the server management team does. We only get to know about the things that mean most to us....e.g. game patches.

get better servers or server managers so they dont need to take down the servers 4 times a week for 2-3 hours lol

im all for fixes and actualy love that they care and trying to fix stuff as fast as posible but Come oooon this is lame......
  • bFunk
    bFunk

It's still not client-friendly to:
    1) Have server maintenance during peak hours
    2) Not inform us when servers will be back up

Zenimax Online is a company that's providing a service to us that we're paying for. As paying customers I think we can at least expect to be properly informed about upcoming maintenance and the duration of the maintenance slot. At the moment this does not feel like proper organised server management. This is ad-hoc management and it's not a game seller. Zenimax Online seriously has to improve their customer relations, especially as the EU server feels like a test server for the NA server at the moment.
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    bFunk wrote: »

Zenimax Online is a company that's providing a service to us that we're paying for. As paying customers I think we can at least expect to be properly informed about upcoming maintenance and the duration of the maintenance slot. At the moment this does not feel like proper organised server management. This is ad-hoc management and it's not a game seller. Zenimax Online seriously has to improve their customer relations, especially as the EU server feels like a test server for the NA server at the moment.

Agreed. But. You DO know why it is down right now don't you?

The EU server hasn't been taken offline for "planned scheduled maintenance". It's an emergency shutdown. There's a problem causing peoples clients to crash when zoning. It began yesterday and appears to have been getting steadily worse. Ultimately resulting in people not being able to zone or even log in.

They've given us their best estimate right now. Which means obviously they're not sure what's causing it. Hopefully it won't take that long. Or it might take longer.

In either case, it wasn't intentional to take the server down on the Saturday night. I don't think Zenimax are that cruel.
    Edited by rioinsigniab16_ESO on April 19, 2014 6:06PM
  • Grubsnik
    Grubsnik
    get better servers or server managers so they dont need to take down the servers 4 times a week for 2-3 hours lol

What would you prefer. That they stopped trying to keep the megaserver online until new/better hardware arrived, or that they stopped trying to fix exploits/crashes so they could interview some new server managers to come and help them out?

The reality is, once you are in crisis-mode on a project like this, it's next to impossible to "get new hardware" and hire better developers/server managers.

Training a new developer on a large software project usually takes 3-6 months, in that time, they are rarely doing much good, but are keeping another developer from doing their regular work.

It's a classical problem in software development. If management doesn't know about it, they will take a slightly delayed project and cause it to never ever finish, because they keep adding more people.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭

Do you know what ToS means? If no i suggest reading it, as you agreed to it by activating your account. But to help you, and others, a bit:

ZeniMax does not guarantee that any Services will be available at all times, in all countries and/or geographic locations, at any given time, or that it will continue to offer any particular Services for any particular length of time. Except as prohibited by applicable law, ZeniMax reserves the right to change and update Content without notice to You.

And even more:

ZeniMax may patch, update, or modify at any time with or without notice to You. Notwithstanding the foregoing, ZeniMax has no obligation to make available any patches, updates or modifications or correct any errors or defects in the Services.

http://www.zenimax.com/legal_terms_us

Anyone complaining about server maintanance shows zero knowledge about MMOs, and, what is even worse, zero brain by signing contract without understanding it. Because i do believe, if you understand what ToS is clearly saying, you will not come to forums to cry about it.

• incandescent
    incandescent
    ✭✭✭

The EU server hasn't been taken offline for "planned scheduled maintenance". It's an emergency shutdown. There's a problem causing peoples clients to crash when zoning. It began yesterday and appears to have been getting steadily worse. Ultimately resulting in people not being able to zone or even log in.

They've given us their best estimate right now. Which means obviously they're not sure what's causing it. Hopefully it won't take that long. Or it might take longer.

In either case, it wasn't intentional to take the server down on the Saturday night. I don't think Zenimax are that cruel.
    I work for a huge global IT company. We run vast numbers of servers with uptimes in excess of 99.999%.

If we, and companies like us, repeatedly took our services down in this way two things would happen:

(a) our customers would crucify us
    (b) the world would literally grind to a halt

We're paying customers. It is that simple.
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I work for a huge global IT company. We run vast numbers of servers with uptimes in excess of 99.999%.

If we, and companies like us, repeatedly took our services down in this way two things would happen:

(a) our customers would crucify us
    (b) the world would literally grind to a halt

We're paying customers. It is that simple.

So, you're saying that when you originally had a new piece of IT infra-structure installed, you never had ANY issues with it which may have required you to take it offline to fix?

Yeah, right. Nothing in life runs perfect 100% of the time. Sometimes things go according to plan. Sometimes they don't.

Considering that this is an MMO, you can hardly compare the need for a lack of downtime of an MMO with the services provided by, let's say, a major internet backbone server-farm or a banking system. Plus, such systems have multiple backup and redundant systems. And if you want THAT level of service from an MMO, then you can expect to pay far more than we do now.

The fact remains that this downtime wasn't planned. There is a crucial issue affecting a portion of the playerbase that necessitated the need to take the mega-server offline.
    Edited by rioinsigniab16_ESO on April 19, 2014 7:32PM
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol

Quote war

lol

im bored.....
  • incandescent
    incandescent
    ✭✭✭
    So, you're saying that when you originally had a new piece of IT infra-structure installed, you never had ANY issues with it which may have required you to take it offline to fix?

Yeah, right. Nothing in life runs perfect 100% of the time. Sometimes things go according to plan. Sometimes they don't.

Considering that this is an MMO, you can hardly compare the need for a lack of downtime of an MMO with the services provided by, let's say, a major IT backbone server farm or banking system. Plus, such systems have backups and redundant systems.
    We have contracts which state the required service levels, including uptime and time to fix issues. If we break those agreements we are punished financially. If we continually broke those agreements our reputation would be damaged and we would lose business.

As a result we tend to test our systems very thoroughly before going live and make a huge effort not to over-promise.

And I would absolutely expect a system supporting potentially millions of players to be massively redundant.
    Edited by incandescent on April 19, 2014 7:31PM
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Posted 8 mins ago:

The european megaserver is now up for internal tests and will be available again within the next 45 minutes if nothing is found.
    Edited by rioinsigniab16_ESO on April 19, 2014 7:33PM
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posted 8 mins ago:

The european megaserver is now up for internal tests and will be available again within the next 45 minutes if nothing is found.

IF.............IF nothing is found
    with the ammount of issues in the game the server will never be up.....

nah just joking over here lol
  • jaxx0rr
    jaxx0rr
    it would be nice to post the down times at least on the planned maintenance.. then I dont have to check every 30 min if the servers up I can just go do my thing
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    jaxx0rr wrote: »
    it would be nice to post the down times at least on the planned maintenance.. then I dont have to check every 30 min if the servers up I can just go do my thing

I believe in a recent post (last week sometime), they said that "planned" maintenance for the EU server was from now on going to be on Tues 5am (GMT).
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    Its just 1 of those things, if there are gradually worsening problems, then they need fixing, nothing we can do about it so may as well be philosophical about it :) There isn't much point in ranting (even though it makes us feel better lol), Zenimax hold the key, and the doors are locked :) And with ref to the post about working in a Global IT company, I have a close friend who is a systems analyst for 1 of the UK's largest Banks, and he is often working a 70-80 hour week to sort the problems out on their servers, it's a problem inherent in anything which relies on computers unfortuantely
  • incandescent
    incandescent
    ✭✭✭
    drkeys143 wrote: »
    Its just 1 of those things, if there are gradually worsening problems, then they need fixing, nothing we can do about it so may as well be philosophical about it :) There isn't much point in ranting (even though it makes us feel better lol), Zenimax hold the key, and the doors are locked :) And with ref to the post about working in a Global IT company, I have a close friend who is a systems analyst for 1 of the UK's largest Banks, and he is often working a 70-80 hour week to sort the problems out on their servers, it's a problem inherent in anything which relies on computers unfortuantely
    Then I think your friend should find somewhere better to work :smile:

As for Zenimax holding the keys - true, but if they continue to let their customers down, people will stop knocking on their door.
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For the record guys....it appears that the EU server is up.....
  • smokey
    smokey
    As one of those that was unable to log in, I find it good that they have responded as quick as they did. Yes, it's a pain that I can't get on, and I have very limited time to play as I work away a lot, but I'd rather they try to fix things so that my play time runs smoother and without problem than for them to ignore the problems ruining the game for me instead... It's new, it'll have bugs, they'll need fixing.