Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Templar 2 Handed Questions

brandonedward
brandonedward
✭✭
Hi folks. ( Skill Tree filled out at bottom )

So I'm level 33 now... and have been playing my 2Handed Templar successfully thus far, but I'm always looking to improve my build / character overall.

First off, I'm curious what others have been taking as far as Attributes. I'm 10/22/0 so far, with Magicka overcharged with a Blue HP+Magicka food I use. Not sure if I should be dumping any points into Stamina though, seems I don't need/use it as much. I'd like to put more into Magicka, but as said; it's overcharged.
2 Handed

I have Uppercut, but not using it anymore. I recently replaced it with Momentum for the buff. Also, I'm debating on whether or not I should replace Critical Rush with Cleave for more AoE; or replace it with Momentum seems trash mobs die so quick anyways. Unsure...

Armor

I was originally Heavy to take more hits / play more as a tank, but switched to Medium for more DPS. I honestly don't notice much of a difference as far as killing speed goes.

I was thinking... should or could I Light Armor instead? The only reason I ask this, is because I use Biting Jabs / Dawn's Wrath line quite a lot, and more Magic/Magic Regen, maybe I could spam more freely? Or would I just get pummeled by small groups of 3-4 mobs?

Thoughts

So far I haven't had any help as far as my build goes. I've asked previously, but no one had any tips / no one cared to post, but I know there are others now that are at max level and have experimented much more than I have, so I have 2 main concerns, or 2 things I am thinking about changing, and I'm wondering if they are smart decisions or not.

As mentioned; if I were to change from Medium to Light Armor; would I be able to spend Magicka more freely? I read a post and the person said he was able to "spam Biting Jabs" doing so. Whether this is true or not, that sounds awesome considering it's the main ability I use.

And my least concerns are: is Cleave good at all? It seems like if I took Cleave, I'd be AoE heavy, which isn't bad, but Biting Jabs is getting it done quite well. Then again, I could open up with Cleave seems it's a DoT more or less, then Biting Jabs away. Also, Cleave would use up Stamina, which is good, seems Biting Jabs and everything else is pretty much Magicka.

Critical Rush is fine and all, but most the time I'm approaching 2-3 mobs, and Crit Rush isn't an AoE; though fun/useful, but I'm curious if Cleave is working well for others.

I've heard people using Reverse Slash, but just looking at it... it's meh to me. I was liking Uppercut, especially for bosses/hard hitting mobs (was using the -20%dmg debuff on mobs) but I hate the "cast" time on it.

Here is my Skill Tree completely filled out =

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#coke9Mbznl8rFTY8rFTd8wAEb8wAlr8b0pS8heas8frrp85MDohs808N7lLDm6rDG6MbMXv6MbMX28p7rMdBvj6MdBEI6cdBET8j7CLU06LUM6MrJPr8n7AmWQ8x7HLsfr6msff6bsfi6MwGN16MwGAR6MwGAs6zwGAa6zwGAb8v7ocanW8O7zzAZqS8P7zzLp4d847pzxLCe6cxLDm6MxLDo6zxLDs8zf7MmNbo6zDVRH8zu7kMHfYE6cHfZm

So far, I'll pop Momentum, start off with a Sun Fire (Reflective Light) to hit 2-3 mobs at once, Critical Rush in, and either start Biting Jabbing away at everything, or first cast Solar Barrage, then Biting Jabs until Ultimate pops (usually everything dies before that though). This is just an idea on my rotation as of now.

Soooo yea... I'm curious if anyone could suggest something I could do different here? Or maybe address my "Thoughts" and concerns I have seems I think they may be viable/fun to play around with. Or if anything... this I believe is a decent build/platform someone could use if they decide to level up a 2 Hander themselves.

Anywho, thanks for reading/replying if you did and have a good weekend folks! Looking forward to hearing any ideas/thoughts others have too.

Edited by brandonedward on April 19, 2014 10:33AM
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to carefully consider what sort of abilities you should have on your bar. You say you are considering swapping critical rush with cleave, but they are not like for like abilities. With a 2H, I think you do need a charge ability of some kind, and you also need some form of AoE no matter which weapon you choose.

The two hander is my third weapon of choice on my Templar (well second choice when soloing) and I have the following on my hotbar (obviously not saying this is what you should do, but just to show my thinking):

1. Degeneration (bit of constant self healing and DoT).
    2. Explosive Charge (I view a distance closer as a bit essential as melee)
    3. Uppercut (aside from anything else, it's funny to be able to bounce bears several meters in the air).
    4. Lingering Ritual (when you need that bigger heal).
    5. Cleave or Puncturing Strikes depending on the type of mobs.
    6. Ultimate: Crescent Seep.
  • brandonedward
    brandonedward
    ✭✭
    Ah yes... I was also looking into Entropy / Degeneration also... hmm.

I do like having a Rush ability, and also do find it almost necessary with a 2 Handed DPS build... hmm...

Oh... Question! With Degeneration... would Biting Jabs trigger Degeneration? Or only Light/Heavy Swings or Melee attacks? I ask only because Biting Jabs is a spell.
    Edited by brandonedward on April 19, 2014 10:59AM
  • brandonedward
    brandonedward
    ✭✭
    Just removed Momentum and replaced it with Entropy. Some form of healing is better than having 10%-20% weapon damage, especially since I do not believe it works with Biting Jabs seems it is a spell and not a Melee attack.

Now I'm most concerned about if I should switch to LIGHT armor from MEDIUM... once was Heavy, and am handling damage intake fine for the most part as Medium, but wouldn't mind some more Magicka/regen from the Light tree...
    Edited by brandonedward on April 19, 2014 11:15AM
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    Highly depends what race and build you are going with. I am personally an Imperial Templar with 0/21/16 at the moment as 38 levels high character. I opted for dealing some damage and two healing spells and mostly weapon skills on top of heavy armor tanking the content trough so it highly depends what build you are going for.

What goes to your question though, is that you have to revaluate your build. Want to be more tanky, survival too hard? Then heavy armor. Want to DPS more or be caster-tank-healer hybrid for example? Then choose light armor over heavy armor.

In your case though, I would stay away from Medium armor since it's passives only benefit Stamina focused characters and increase stamina based abilities damage but not spells wheres light armors tend to be mackiga based items, thus increasing templar class skill effectiveness.
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all your damage is coming from spells so medium armor is pretty pointless. My 2h build is:

Biting jabs - make sure you take that burning light passive, it adds a ton of dps to biting jabs.

Repentance (this spell turns you into a farming machine), if you want to use light armor, channeled focus is another good option since it gives you tons of defense and is practically free to cast.

Stampede (critical charge is fine as well)

Brawler (the shield helps a little and adds some aoe dmg that uses stamina)

Breath of life - I always keep this healing spell on my bar

Crescent Sweep

I'm VR 1 right now and can take out 3-4 mob packs of VR1 monsters really quick and painlessly. I usually stampede in, use brawler & crescent sweep if it's up and then just use biting jabs over and over. Biting jabs is strong enough, you don't really need to use other damage spells, they'll just drain your magicka too fast.
    Edited by jmido8 on April 19, 2014 3:44PM
  • DragonLane555
    DragonLane555
    ✭✭✭
    Here is my build.

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#coaz9c85qN7zqDG8T7rMrqAi6MrqAZ6crqLw8j7mIU08n7GmWU8x7HIsfr6Isfi6MwGN16MwGAR6MwGAs6zwGAa6zwGAb8O7zzAZqS8P7VzLp4d6zLncp6MLncn8zM7pMgcmM6zgcmm6zgcoS6cgkvQ8zf7czDVRE8zN7amJZcY6zJZuA6zJZuT6zJZuy6MJZug8zL7RcK4EX6zK4YF6zK4YW

It works great!

My rotation is

Critical Rush
    Solar Barragh
    Bitting Jabs
    Wrecking Blow
    Repeat.....

With Restoring Aura to help regen

My Stats are more spread out so I get the most Damage from all my stuff.
  • brandonedward
    brandonedward
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies and tips guys.

I've switched to Light for the Magicka Regen mostly. Figured Medium wasn't the most viable.

Removing Solar Barrage and swapping it out with Restoring Aura -> Repentance.
    I did take Cleave as well, and chose Brawler.
    I'm also using Entropy now, mostly for it's heal... but I'm on the fence with this one...
    Still using Reflecting Light to open up on packs of 2-3... do however miss my Charge... hmm.

*EDIT* Actually, just looking at Entropy (even with it morphed for lifesteal), I'd rather have Honor the Dead instead... but it's magic cost is high... hmm. Guess I'll only use it when I'm below 50% HP for the Magicka regen, though I hear it's bugged or something? Only works if you end up with -50% HP when it runs out, as opposed to when it was first casted... meh.

*EDIT2* Debating on getting Crit Charge back and swapping it out with Reflecting Light... would free up magicka for spamming Biting Jabs. Looks like the build would be almost exactly like yours Jmido... hmm.
    Edited by brandonedward on April 20, 2014 12:04AM
  • brandonedward
    brandonedward
    ✭✭
    Alrighty... new build made; here it is. Feel free to critique.

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#cokexvbznl8wAvm8wAEb8ffoA8frrn8b0pS8heaR85mb0pS8N7BLDm6rDG6MbMXv6MbMX28L7IMdoQr6zdoQC6MdoQF8j7C68n7LbWQ6MWU6zfwe08x7HNsfd6Lsfr6MwGN16MwGAR6MwGAs6zwGAa6zwGAb8v7oManW8O7VzAZqS8P7V6847ezxLCe6cxLDm6MxLDo6zxLDs8zf7zmNbo8zu7DcHfYE6cHfZm

Pretty much identical to jmido8's with a few changes.

Obviously, my Light Armor / Restoring Light line is a little low for my level, hence I haven't picked up a couple things I will be grabbing.

Now... my question I have now is; the Passive Abilities for Restoring Light, such as Mending... do they work on me as well? It says Allies and not "Target". I'd like to think "yes" but I do not know.

Think this is a pretty solid build that I'll keep for a while...