Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar, Sword and board or 2 handed?

yogarogue
yogarogue
✭✭
Currently level 18 2 handed paladin type of build. I like it so far but something about it is not really fulfilling. I am 5 /2 heavy light and plan to keep it that way with a majority of att points in magicka. my hotbar is reflectivelight / puncturing strikes / binding javelin / charge / reverse strike. I like the synergy and it works wonders in PvE, but I am looking for something more fulfilling. I have tested out sword and boards power bash passive and find it to be very attractive. It leaves me more space for class based skill on my hotbar. Also, I like the feel of a Templar holding a shield and mace for RP reasons. It would be nice to have the option to tank as well.

If anyone has experience with both weapon types and the synergy they offer, or can theorize with me here I would appreciate some responses. Post builds, comments, critiques, anything! How does sword and board Templar builds fair in vet level combat (pve and pvp).
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    S/B is vastly superior right now thanks to deadly bash. It'll also make you much more survivable so it's not really even a competition, only reason you'd want 2h is for the looks.
  • outlanderbz
    I love S/B. I am level 20 and pretty much don't even use my 2nd hot bar/ weapon swap. I think I might make it a second S/B with more tank skills.

I go with reflective light / shield charge / solar barrage / bitting jabs / breath of life and my ultimate is radial sweep right now. I get in range and hit them with reflective light, charge at them with shield charge, pop barrage and jabs and then just shield bash them with the mouse attack really.

I like it so much I don't even feel a need to have a second bar. I am by no means an expert though and would love to hear suggestions on your questions and even what I have been doing. I was thinking of maybe making the second bar a S/B tank setup but I pretty much just solo.

Does anyone else just stick with one weapon and hot bar?
    Edited by outlanderbz on April 17, 2014 8:58PM
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much have the same setup as you with a couple of minor changes. Since at higher levels you are dealing with multiple mobs, I start of with shield charge to one mob, power slam a second, (passive on this one is awesome), then biting jabs till almost out of magic, puncture as needed and then breath of life. Usually I'm at full health :) I have radial sweep ult too.

Right now second bar is piercing javilen, spear shards, reflective light, solar barrrage, biting jabs. Good range setup.

I wear med legs/chest rest light
  • outlanderbz
    Garetth wrote: »
    I pretty much have the same setup as you with a couple of minor changes. Since at higher levels you are dealing with multiple mobs, I start of with shield charge to one mob, power slam a second, (passive on this one is awesome), then biting jabs till almost out of magic, puncture as needed and then breath of life. Usually I'm at full health :) I have radial sweep ult too.

Right now second bar is piercing javilen, spear shards, reflective light, solar barrrage, biting jabs. Good range setup.

I wear med legs/chest rest light

do you go with S/B on your second bar also? I was thinking as another option to the DPS/Tank hot bar setup that I might do that maybe I would do a Melee DPS / Ranged DPS hot bar setup with S/B on both. Might work well since I basically solo anyways.

I might have to try your rotation and see how I like it. sounds fun.
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always have bow in second wep slot and sometimes switch out solar barrage with poison arrow. When I turn in quests, about every third one, I switch to bow so I can keep it leveling up. Also, when I'm about to level I switch to bow too.
  • EriskRedLemur
    EriskRedLemur
    Soul Shriven
    S/B is awesome, but 2H is my fav as Temp. I'm not trying to be a tank. S/B is underrated as DPS w/ Temp, but I still enjoy my 2H a lot, this coming from a non Vet standpoint. DPS honestly it's preference imo, obviously S/B is pretty key for a full tank.
  • Basil_oz
    Basil_oz
    ✭✭✭
    I've tended to favour the S/B, simply because of the strength offensively and defensively that it gives.

Still at level 14 so haven't used the 2nd wep slot as yet, but I'm thinking of using a bow with a hot bar focusing on ranged and make the 1st more melee.
    NA Mega-server
    Basilthwaite - male Nord Templar Ebonheart Pact (unwittingly looks like Hulk Hogan. Trying to find some bright gold breeches to match the persona.)

Arwen Basilrond - female Wood Elf Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion (this character is smoken', but she's been advised to quite due to 'elf reasons!)

Sir Basil Ozarian - male Imperial Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant (this character is titled, but not entitled!)
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    I have made my Temp. a 2H, but that is just me.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • fdub11_ESO
    fdub11_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Would a Healing staff set up be good for 2nd weapon slot? And where should my attribute points go....Magika, Health, or Stamina?
    Edited by fdub11_ESO on April 19, 2014 4:40AM
  • Alasard
    Alasard
    I generally run solo and I tried S/B and 2H, but the problem was with S/B I couldn't deal with packs any larger then 2 (1 v 1 it's great, but those sort of fights are far and few in between) 2H + splash damage and questing becomes a much smoother process, as for stats I put everything in HP. All the skills are magic based and leaves my stamina free to deal with dodge's Blocks and CC breaks.

It works for me and I generally save Nova ultimate for packs 4+ (Charge, Vampires bane, spear shards, Honor the dead, Cleanse ritual)

It's a leveling build with 2 slots from each class skill line which keeps them leveling evenly too, I went for the single target morphs just so I can handle the 1 v 1 fights a bit easier, also the toppling charge is a nice way to deal with a healer hidden at the back of a pack.

Hope this was useful to you.
  • trahe
    trahe
    ✭✭
    I agree with those guys, but I wanted to add with S/B you have two items with bonuses as apposed to only one item with 2 hander.