Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Mad God’s Bargain Quest (SPOILERS) (Quest contains 2 missable skill points!!)

• drwoody44b14_ESO
    drwoody44b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I must have missed the part in the OP where he indicated that you would know that you get 2 skill points for letting her go with Sheogorath. Oh, I know. I missed the one post earlier in the thread which referenced the dialogue, but that everyone ignored.

If you listen to Sheogorath, he tells you exactly what the book gives you. Presumably, if you don't take the book, you're giving up that option. If you don't understand that, I suggest buying a dictionary.

" If you actually follow the quest and dialogues you will know which one of the choices gives you skill points. It is really obvious so you don't need to read this if you read the dialogues while questing."

"This guide is for those people who skip text in quests so they dont miss out on skill points either."

You do realize that this discussion is about the benefits of not choosing the skillpoints at this point right?
    Oh, and every time you say "fanboy," an angel loses its wings.

Maybe you should stop wetting your pants every time theres a post that resembles anything remotely critical about the love of your life.

Edited by drwoody44b14_ESO on April 21, 2014 6:48PM
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or at least your point looses merit.
  • Losian
    Losian
    Yankee wrote: »
    Opps, I missed two skill points for being a nice guy.

Oh well, after I reset my points at VR1 to get rid of unused skills I ended up with more than 40 in reserve.

This is why it doesn't matter, folks. Grow up. Not every quest needs to have a perfectly balanced outcome for every choice! Aedra forbid that there be consequences to your actions, oh my!

Seriously though; if it bothers you so much, take the skill points and move on. Those who enjoy RP and some level of genuine risk to making decisions can enjoy it.
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing but trolls in here; the fact remains the quest rewards are unbalanced and need to be looked at OR we need confirmation if those 2 skill points are available elsewhere for choosing the good option. If the trolls are so adamant about rewards not mattering then you won't mind other players asking for it to be fair.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turial wrote: »
    Nothing but trolls in here; the fact remains the quest rewards are unbalanced and need to be looked at OR we need confirmation if those 2 skill points are available elsewhere for choosing the good option. If the trolls are so adamant about rewards not mattering then you won't mind other players asking for it to be fair.

"Troll" is not a word that means "someone who doesn't agree with me."

Rewards do matter. And choices matter. And it's nice, for once, to have an MMO where your choice actually has a significant impact on your character. I would love to have more quests like this.

When I got to this point in the quest dialogue, I made my choice because I wanted power more than I wanted Valaste to stick around. If you really like Valaste, then you'll have to choose her. You'll miss out on a whopping 2 skill points in a game with over 300. And somehow, the world will keep turning.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭

Jesus! Get a load of yourself? More people than you commented on this thread, in fact in this forum. I said trolls, plural, I did not specifically name you so remove your stick there.

You made your choice, good for you, quest rewards are still unbalanced.
    Edited by Turial on May 2, 2014 12:25PM
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
  • Tatuaje
    Tatuaje
    ✭✭
    Hmmm I figured out what that idiot God was passing out and still chose to save Valaste. In no way shape or form would I assist that idiot and do to all the lame trials he put me through. Besides, if the loss of 2 skills points is an issue to me at that point in the game, I have bigger problems than just those 2 points. I deconned and got a improvement element out of it, so a better "win" as far as I am concerned.

My .02 as always, YMMV.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turial wrote: »

Jesus! Get a load of yourself? More people than you commented on this thread, in fact in this forum. I said trolls, plural, I did not specifically name you so remove your stick there.

You made your choice, good for you, quest rewards are still unbalanced.

And I was also saying that they aren't trolls for disagreeing with you.

Moral choices are important. Unbalanced quest rewards make them more important. I hope that with the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood content they're developing, we get more of these kinds of choices.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    idiots_everywhere-345764.jpg
    Never Forget

• Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sad that zenimax favor the evil.... hircine should punish all ww who help sheogorath.
  • Ricksawz
    Ricksawz
    the problem, that many people don't seem to get, is that these two skill points represent an imbalance between other players. yeah it isn't that big of a deal when you have 300+ skill points but those points are needed to make your character complete. being deprived of 2 points makes it so that someone else will have 2 more skills over you, or 2 more passives. simply saying it's because they want to see how you choose knowing this is ignorant. no one should lose the chance to have the same number of skill points if they opt for the 'good' ending. that may work for single player games where there is no competing between other players but when it comes to an mmorpg everyone should have access to the same number of skill points if they put in the effort to get them, not lose out simply because of a 'wrong' choice in a skill line.

if there is any 'wrong' choice then allow it to affect the item rewards, screwing around with someone's points they can use on their character is not right. anyone who can't grasp that surely must not understand how mmorpg work.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a poor design choice to have one reward that so severely outweighs the other. A better choice would have been 2 skill points vs 2 attribute points.
    I like that choice matters.
    If you listen to Sheogorath, he tells you exactly what the book gives you.
    Sorry he doesn't, his reference to "4 or 5 Skyshards" under-states the reward.

See, SOME people DO listen to the dialog.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on June 24, 2014 5:48PM
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ricksawz wrote: »
    the problem, that many people don't seem to get, is that these two skill points represent an imbalance between other players. yeah it isn't that big of a deal when you have 300+ skill points

Nah, you can get everything you need and still have points left over.

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also new skyshards are being added. Craglorn also holds new skyshards. I didn't get the 2 also, but i did read the quest so i knew what i was doing. I did hope saving the damsel would have some impact, but it's like nothing happened lol.

Anyway, you won't really miss those 2. I am V9 and have my skills i wanted. I still have 54 points left to spent and 3 zones and craglorn full of skyshards. Also i still can get some from group dungeons as i didn't do them all. And i wasted a few points to test some skills i don't use.

In short: There are skillpoints plenty
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Anyway, you won't really miss those 2. I am V9 and have my skills i wanted. I still have 54 points left to spent and 3 zones and craglorn full of skyshards.
    I'd hardly say Craglorn is 'full', it has fewer than any other zones except the starter islands, and none are accessible except in groups, there are no over-world ones.
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭

No more angels I am afraid, now it's Cherubs losing their wings

(ever seen a Cherub without wings? Horrible sight, they just lay their crying and whining)
    Edited by Salsadoom on July 5, 2014 2:14AM
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    illuzian wrote: »
    Do you also get the facility to read all previously read books via 'J' if you choose not to save Valaste? I was under the impression that you either got skill points or the book memory.

You get Shalidor's book memory no matter which choice you make.

As far as I know, this is the only quest that gives you the choice of whether or not you get skill points, although there are quite a few that give you moral choices.

Overall, two skill points just isn't that much, and for many of us, it comes down to a RP/immersion issue. I chose to save Valaste because I had grown to care about her, and her peace of mind was worth more to me than two skill points.
    ---
    Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I DO like me some skill points, I also like to roleplay my characters "properly" and there are many of them who would flip Sheogorath the finger and help the lady. Most, actually, Even the hard-nosed pragmatists in the roster are unlikely to side with the Mad God...

It DOES seem to be a rather harsh alternative, though. Perhaps later on there is a quest to counterbalance where BECAUSE you passed on the skill points, you later get a choice to get them where those who picked the skill points DON'T get the option for more skill points (because they helped madgod).

@Sorpaijen_ESO‌, nicely done.

Furthermore, nicely done to any of you who answer honestly as your character would.

Yes, it's just a game. But this is one of the few little gems of sheer brilliance implemented that makes it strive to be an Elder Scrolls game.

I mean, how many video games can make you really pause and debate a decision such as this - pondering the outcomes...

As @Sorpaijen_ESO‌ sees, it's not just a test for your character, it's a test of your character.

The Mad God is, and always has been, in control. He wants to see what you'll do.
    Listen to the change in the inflection in his voice...It's meant to be a temptation...and you can't ask what sane Valaste would want.

Also, do you not think Sheo's testing you? Do you not think he might have other, bigger, better things in mind depending on what you choose?

Anyone who thinks this is the end of our Uncle and that ESO will never use him (or her) again, I would think foolish - there's entirely too much opportunity there.

You have to think about what she would want - what would be best...you have to remember...you have to anticipate.

Then there is the direct expectation of Sheo himself. Do you wish to be his plaything, choosing what he expects you to choose? He does not like to be countered, but I suspect there is a measure of respect and even admiration for those with the courage to defy him.

It's not intended to be Googled...it's not even intended to be fortold in a forum post.

If you truly want the most out it:

Don't make your choice for the temptation. Don't make the choice because of the reward.

Make the choice because your character would do so.

Then you are guaranteed to not be wrong.

Be immersed...and don't feel bad (or good) the choice your character would make is different than the one you would.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on July 14, 2014 5:15PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Govalon wrote: »
    The Mad God’s Bargain Quest (SPOILERS) (Quest contains 2 missable skill points!!)
    How is something that's clearly said in the dialog missable?

Oh, it's missable by people who click through, don't read, don't listen, then complain they missed something.

For the rest of us Sheogorath first says the reward is "worth at least 4 or 5 of those skyshards", then when you ask him about it more he explicitly says it's worth SIX skyshards: I guess it does require a smidgeon of logic to be able to figure it out.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on July 15, 2014 6:42AM
  • Govalon
    Govalon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Govalon wrote: »
    How is something that's clearly said in the dialog missable?
    Missable means that if you do not get it while you can, you will never have a chance to get it again. That is how it is missable. It would not be missable if you could come back at some point and get those skill points, but you can't. There are also unique named weapons that have garbage stats but are missable. Nobody cares about them though.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you that I just took 2 characters through the MG Questline. I did take one through earlier on. The very first one had Valaste Cured, the last two did not, mostly because the characters needed the skill points at the time.

I will say that after seeing her cured, I had doubts about her road to recovery. Sheogorath thoroughly twisted her mind into knots. I doubt she would ever be the same again ever after the cure, kind of a Post Sheogorath Stress Disorder. I actually think letting her go to Shivering Isles is better for Valaste. Besides, the people there seemed quite happy when I played Oblivion.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which is better happy in a "fake" life or take a chance on real life which usually is the suck in Tamriel?

I save her the last time, but I thought she may be "happier" with Uncle Sheo.
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a big deal, I have 52 unspent skill points.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • alkoriak
    alkoriak
    ✭✭✭
    I saved Valaste and get the staff (purple quality). I couldn't equip it yet because it's lv 43 and i'm only 37 so i put it in bank. Then my lv 28 crafter doing upgrades in woodworking didn't have the option to upgrade this staff...I had all legendary mats necessary, it was just for curiosity though. The item is bind on equip. Don't understand how we cannot updrage it. Is it the same with the prismatic weapon from fighter's guild? Because they are unique weapons? I'll look into other unique items from world bosses later if it's the same.

Anyway I don't miss the 2 skill points. I like to identify myself to the character and I was roleplaying a good guy so I didn't hesitate one second except for dialogues of Shalidorable and Valaste:).
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am glad that I am already V12. I would've been so annoyed if I would've saw this thread title before doing that quest. It is literally the one of the only meaningful quests in the game that has real consequences/impact on your gameplay. It would've been extremely disappointed to have that ruined.

I would love to see more meaningful, non-generic quests like this in the future.
    Edited by timidobserver on August 31, 2014 8:28PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I saved Valaste, it's clear from the speaches she made that Sheogorath was controlling her, she had no opinion of her own. Thus I thought about who she had been before reading the books, and decided she wouldn't want to go.

And since two skill points are neither here nor there, I did the right thing and saved her.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, listening to quests characters helps a lot....
    Still chosen to save Valaste, of course
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is literally the one of the only meaningful quests in the game that has real consequences/impact on your gameplay. It would've been extremely disappointed to have that ruined.
    I hardly think two SPs at level 40-something makes a real consequence, let alone after that, and if 'missing' 2 SPs ruins a game for you then ... hmmm.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on September 2, 2014 1:30PM
  • Dont Shoot
    Dont Shoot
    ✭✭
    I now have two characters missing 2 skills points. thats *** weak. i read the quest text. it seems like choosing to kill valaste would be the wrong choice. Now I'm permanently out 2 vital skill points. *** weak.
  • DrEagleTalon
    a year later? anyone still p*ssed lol