Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What Happened to Darien? Spoilers inside.

Fraynee
Fraynee
So just curious as to what happens to Darien? We know the Alyied king dies because he is not completely shielded by Meridia, but what about Darien? Did he just not make it at all, or did something else happen to him.
  • SMVegas83
    SMVegas83
    As a Daggerfall Covenant Player that has experienced the character from the very first area during the Camlorn stuff up until the very end, I have to say he was one of my favorite characters. Obviously Im speculating here, but I think he survived somehow. If you had him with you during the entrance into the planar vortex and you spoke with him, he pretty much reveals as much.
  • Gilrael
    Gilrael
    Usually, in any story/movie if you don't see the body, then the person is not dead, whatever is written/said at that time to give you a false lead. It is a really basic way to create suspens. In a magical world, even with a dead body, you cannot be sure of anything. So my guess is: he lives to see another day in another expansion.
  • WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    If you spoke to Gabrielle (I think), she said that he's probably gone for lack of returning with them but doesn't really know for sure. His dream kinda foreshadows the idea that it all ends with that blast of light, but I'm hoping that lovable meathead survived the ordeal somehow and will show up later. Why else would the story fail to tell us directly what happened to him? And why does Meridia not mention him at all when asked about the companions?

Also, this is found within his journal in the game, which suggests he IS alive!

'Then the light appears once more, as if to guide me to safety. To tell me something. To say … and that's when I wake up.'
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Journal_of_Darien_Gautier

Who knows how long it will take to find out his fate though! :cry:
    Edited by WhimsyDragon on May 15, 2014 5:26AM
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just goto fighter's Guild in Cold Harbor, everybody is alive there.

But yeah, I hope he is still alive.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was so tempted to say "*** you, not gonna save the world where you killed Darien!" after that fight=( I mean, c'mon, of ALL the npcs they killed the one without which I absolutely don't see the game. So he'd better be alive. He'd SO better be alive!
    Far as what he says, I kinda thought it's smth along the lines of "afterdeath" but I really, really hope he comes back.

Overall after the after-ending everything doesn't make much sense. Everyone's still alive at Mages and Fighters guild, everyone at Hollow city thinks the final fight is yet to come, anchors are still dropping all over Tamriel and of course when you go to vet zones Darien and others are all there.
  • stevenpotter321b14_ESO
    Darien is still out there, seducing enemy officers with his bread loaf eating prowess.
  • Minsc
    Minsc
    ✭✭✭
    Dancing between Meridia's legs :P
  •  Acemcfly101
    Acemcfly101
    ✭✭
    SMVegas83 wrote: »
    As a Daggerfall Covenant Player that has experienced the character from the very first area during the Camlorn stuff up until the very end, I have to say he was one of my favorite characters. Obviously Im speculating here, but I think he survived somehow. If you had him with you during the entrance into the planar vortex and you spoke with him, he pretty much reveals as much.

Interesting that you took it that way about his dream speech. As for me, I thought for sure he was dead and i was so heartbroken by it after i beat the crap out of ol' Molag, I went straight to the tavern to drown my sorrows. Of course, i would love it if he lived and it was shown in an upcoming update.

But as I was saying.... His speech about the dream could be taken either way. He mentions it a few times and he says things like "I've been dreaming about this since I was a boy. The dream is always the same. We're here and everything looks just like this." And when you ask how it ends he says "It's always the same. I'm surrounded by this really bright light and I can't see anything and I'm alone. Maybe it means I'll wake up somewhere too hungover to remember what happened but I don't think I'll be so lucky." < Or something to that general idea.

So... yeah I thought he died but here's to hoping. He was definately my favorite character. I was bummed about Verandis, but killing off Darien is borderline cruel storytelling lol. Especially after all his near death encounters. And you even have the option to specifically tell him not to die on you!!! :'(
    Edited by Acemcfly101 on August 26, 2014 12:50AM
  •  Acemcfly101
    Acemcfly101
    ✭✭
    Adoryn wrote: »
    Also, this is found within his journal in the game, which suggests he IS alive!

'Then the light appears once more, as if to guide me to safety. To tell me something. To say … and that's when I wake up.'
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Journal_of_Darien_Gautier

Who knows how long it will take to find out his fate though! :cry:

I hope you're right and all, but I wouldn't exactly say that suggests he's alive. I think it's just meant to be really sad. One could easily view the bright light before death (especially in a dream) as comforting or guiding you to safety. ... *sigh* but I hope you're right...
  •  Acemcfly101
    Acemcfly101
    ✭✭
    (Sorry if I'm like spam posting on this thread, but...) I just looked into this topic more after reading this, and I was reminded of something I had long since forgotten about that no one has brought up here:

-Remember in Camlorn when darien gets the werewolf scratch, but never gets infected??

-Remember in northern Glenumbra when Darien is sent to aid the Lion Guard soldiers against the bloodthorn cultists in that cemetary place and you find him with the troops that are all knocked out or messed up by the weird gas and he says "it doesn't affect me."

-Remember in Rivenspire when he tells you he was bitten by one of the bloodfiends but didn't turn??

^^What's up with that?!

So to my knowledge, this has never been explained and is a lot to speculate a solid conclusion for... which gives me a little more reason to hope that zenimax will not drop the ball and HOPEFULLY pick this back up in a future update. :):smiley:
    Edited by Acemcfly101 on August 26, 2014 12:48AM
  • sr383
    sr383
    He's obviously modeled after Captain Jack Harkness, who can't die. (OK, the Face of Boe eventually dies, but it takes centuries.)
  • Greed3192
    Greed3192
    Soul Shriven
    Darien is dead. The alied king tells you that. Listen to him he said and I quote...mostly " Darien and I went out from meridia shield to fight the deadra. When you activated the light you were the last thing I ever saw then suddenly I was pushed poser to meridia"

Darien died saving the king
  • curlyqloub14_ESO
    curlyqloub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    crislevin wrote: »

Yeah- that really bothered me. Here you finish this whole long quest line and giant fight, then if you go back to the Hollow City at all, it's like the whole thing never happened. People are still talking about prepping for battle, and everyone who is supposed to have died is still alive. The Ayelid king is both dead in the chapel and alive and kickin' in the Fighter's Guild - along with Darien.

WTF? It was really anti-climatic to see this. Especially when previous zones' characters and dialogs change based on your actions, it was like Zeni just ran out of time and forgot to program this into the Hollow City. It was a really disappointing finish to the storyline - especially since it was THE main storyline.
    Edited by curlyqloub14_ESO on September 24, 2014 6:58PM
  • StoHelit
    StoHelit
    ✭✭✭
    crislevin wrote: »

then if you go back to the Hollow City at all, it's like the whole thing never happened. People are still talking about prepping for battle, and everyone who is supposed to have died is still alive. The Ayelid king is both dead in the chapel and alive and kickin' in the Fighter's Guild - along with Darien.

Uh...is it some sort of lag l was lucky not to have, or something? The king is quite dead in my hollow city, and Darien is quite dead, too missing. And l've just read in other threads that ppl see Darien in Camlorn alive n kicking after Coldharbour. I don't understand. Does it depend on the faction you first played for, orr?..

(Using this opportunity would like to say - may ZOS see it - BRING DARIEN BACK PLEASE! Or at least have the grace not to leave us hanging. With the forum full of pissed-off PvPers, they probably think players don't care about the storyline anymore, but there's quite a large part of community who really does. We are just not so loud, that's all.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    StoHelit wrote: »
    Uh...is it some sort of lag l was lucky not to have, or something? The king is quite dead in my hollow city, and Darien is quite dead, too missing. And l've just read in other threads that ppl see Darien in Camlorn alive n kicking after Coldharbour. I don't understand. Does it depend on the faction you first played for, orr?..

Unless they fixed this in the last patch (which would be awesome), take a look in the Fighters Guild. Last time I played, Schrödinger's cat King Dynar was alive and well in there at the same time as being dead in the chapel.
    Edited by adriant1978 on November 12, 2014 10:21AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StoHelit wrote: »
    l've just read in other threads that ppl see Darien in Camlorn alive n kicking after Coldharbour. I don't understand. Does it depend on the faction you first played for, orr?..
    This instance is easier to "explain" than why you can still find Dynar in the Fighters Guild (< I heard they were planning to fix that, anyone checked recently?).

Ostensibly each zone exists within its own time period. Regardless of when you complete them as a player, all the events of Glenumbra happen before the events of Stormhaven, which happens before Rivenspire, and so on. Darien is alive in Camlorn because Camlorn occurs chronologically before Coldharbour.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Sabriel7
    Sabriel7
    ✭✭✭
    Well combined with his odd disappearance, media's warnings about the future, and molag bal being a little too thrilled you got your soul back and that apparently the planesmeld stopping was still part of his grand scheme I'd say it is all a foreshadowing of a future expansion pack. After all we still got a lot of Tamriel and Oblivion to explore. ;)
  • Brettoel
    Brettoel
    ✭✭✭
    SPOILER!:

Hes alive , you will see if you read bookshelves...in orsinium
  • Carraig
    Carraig
    ✭✭✭
    SPOILER!:

Hes alive , you will see if you read bookshelves...in orsinium

Not only that. Talk to the NPC's that are gathered in the Orc King's palace after you complete the main quest line in Wrothgar.
    Knight-Captain of the Tamriel's Elite Sentinels ( EU server-PC)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."
  • Lil_Willie
    Lil_Willie
    ✭✭✭
    Darien is not dead
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's chilling with Virandis. Btw, I'm still incredibly disappointed we didn't meet up/recruit virandis in cold harbour
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's chilling with Virandis. Btw, I'm still incredibly disappointed we didn't meet up/recruit virandis in cold harbour
    Yeah same here :(
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • The_4O4
    The_4O4
    ✭✭✭
    I found this in the Temple Library in Orcinium.
    KA30TIq.jpg
    gvblAi4.jpg
    He lives!
  • Carraig
    Carraig
    ✭✭✭
    Whether he is alive remains questionable (I mean, we were "dead" in the Wailing Prison of Coldharbour when our adventure started), but this shows that his story could continue some day....
    Edited by Carraig on February 15, 2016 9:54AM
    Knight-Captain of the Tamriel's Elite Sentinels ( EU server-PC)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_4O4 wrote: »
    I found this in the Temple Library in Orcinium.
    KA30TIq.jpg
    gvblAi4.jpg
    He lives!

I received this in my in-game mail on April fools. NOT COOL ZOS!!! :'(
    PC/EU DC
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheWhiteDarkness The April Fools mail was made by an add-on creator, but the message in the Orsinium library is real.
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    @TheWhiteDarkness The April Fools mail was made by an add-on creator, but the message in the Orsinium library is real.

Oooooh Ok. Well, maybe we'll see him along with many other beloved NPCs again someday. Hopefully.
    PC/EU DC
  • Dallasali
    Dallasali
    ✭✭
    That note has been bugging me for weeks!!! What and where are the Coloured Rooms?! I want to find Darien.
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dallasali wrote: »
    What and where are the Coloured Rooms?! I want to find Darien.

The Coloured Rooms are Meridia's realm, which would fit considering the end of the Coldharbour quest.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Dallasali
    Dallasali
    ✭✭
    Dallasali wrote: »
    What and where are the Coloured Rooms?! I want to find Darien.

The Coloured Rooms are Meridia's realm, which would fit considering the end of the Coldharbour quest.

Ahhh, I haven't finished the Coldharbour quest yet so haven't come across it. :)