Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Low Level Resource Tax, Why So High?

Jeddahwe
Jeddahwe
✭✭✭
By now we have all tried all classes and realized how high the resource tax (Magicka+Stamina) is right out of the gate, so much so you can not use more than 3 abilities before running dry and if you should pull 2 mobs its backpedaling time using the free weapon attack.

Why is it designed that way? Would it be so bad if an extremely high regeneration rate was added to the game for the first levels, say 1 to 9?
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is to help with balancing in PvP.

However, on my 2H NB Nord, which I had spec'd 0 4 8 only time I'd run out of stam is in groups of 3 or 4, but then shadow cloak once with passive for stam regain and it was back up again to finish of the remaining mobs.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Medic_Droid
    I encountered this problem with my character as well. I built a Templar healer and found myself running out of Magicka during Spindleclutch after casting Regeneration and a direct heal spell.

Initially, I thought that it was failure on my part due to poor spell rotation and/or bad resource management.

I coped by overcharging my total magicka, magicka regeneration, reducing spell costs, eating food, and stocking up on basic slips. Now that you bring it up, I'm curious about the intent of the design as well.

The good news is that it's really only a lower level problem. I'm at about level 26 and I haven't suffered from running out of magicka in a while. Unless I'm in a dungeon and people stand in the AoE...every...single...time.
    Edited by Medic_Droid on April 16, 2014 8:56AM
    "Doubt thou that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move.
    Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt my love." -Hamlet Act 2 Scene 2
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    They say it's because they don't want abilities to have cooldowns and don't want people just spamming buttons either (certainly agree with the last point). As such, your only solution is a resource based system which is not sustainable over a long fight. I believe the idea is very much that you spend most of your time using your weapon. I think resources should mostly be used for buffs, debuffs, crowd control and self healing.