Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Error 209 keeps returning Zenimax fix it!

Pangnirtung
Pangnirtung
✭✭✭✭✭
I am done for the day trying to get Zenimax's problem launcher fixed. I already posted this on Reddit. You fix it Zenimax not me. Fix it or you lose a customer.
  • JoLeSi
    JoLeSi
    ✭✭
    I'm having this same problem. I don't want to leave, though! I want to play! Ughh. Funny thing is, it allowed me on for roughly ten minutes before kicking me off and showing me this nonsense. I got it to run through repair verify once, but it resulted in the same message. Now it won't even run through it again. I wish I could re-patch, I don't enjoy the idea of downloading everything again.
    Long Live the King!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check this thread and my post there for link to another thread in CS section for more information on this. It appears it is issue mainly with NA patch server not functioning correctly for update.
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a support email from Zeni that had me deleting files in the Mac version of the launcher, etc. It worked until I crashed to the desktop and now the error is back and their previous suggestions WON'T work to eliminate the ERROR 209.

Their launcher is bugged at least for me.

PS I can still play the game if I start the game directly from the ESO.app, it's the launcher that is screwed.
    Edited by Pangnirtung on April 16, 2014 4:00PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got a support email from Zeni that had me deleting files in the Mac version of the launcher, etc. It worked until I crashed to the desktop and now the error is back and their previous suggestions WON'T work to eliminate the ERROR 209.

Their launcher is bugged at least for me.

PS I can still play the game if I start the game directly from the ESO.app, it's the launcher that is screwed.
    Try the fix in the thread I linked which works for others for this if you are using NA megaserver. it's not the Launcher (though it has it's own problems) but problems with the patch server and login server communication especially on NA at peak times with many players trying to update at the same time. Or otherwise, it's not a good system as it is.

It might work to get into game to launch direct from the eso.app but if game is not updated correctly it will just cause more issues. It needs to be updated via the Launcher to do this and why it needs fixing. This is also confirmed by ZOS staff post.

The game should NOT allow players to connect with an out of date version of the game for obvious reasons but it does currently. It is one other reason for the Unknown Error and other connection problems.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 16, 2014 5:54PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    For any still having the Error 20( and other login issues this thread seems to have identified the root casue at least and has some workarounds, which also can be done for Mac

FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE OF MANY LOGIN ISSUES - WITH WORKAROUND FOR ERROR 209

One of the first ones to try I already posted around but:

Reset the DNS Cache

Step 1: Open the Terminal

Navigate to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Step 2: Flush DNS - Type the following command and hit enter.

Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks): dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Mac OSX 10.7 & 10.8 (Lions) : sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Press Return and enter password at prompt.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently this was supposed to have been fixed earlier according to this ZOS post;
    ZOS_AmeliaR Administrator, Moderator admin
    April 16
    The 209 Error (inability to verify version) should be resolved as of earlier today. Please let us know if anyone continues to encounter this issue.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you get this still then there is an official Support kb article with further suggestions;
    WHEN ATTEMPTING TO PATCH THE GAME CLIENT, I RECEIVE A PATCH MANIFEST ERROR - VERSION FAIL (ERROR 209). WHAT SHOULD I DO?
    Updated 04/17/2014 05:00 PM Published 03/14/2014 12:05 PM

The 'Patch Manifest Error (209 Error)' occurs when The Elder Scrolls Online game client did not update/patch correctly. There are many things players can do to remedy this error.

The first option that players have is to attempt to repair the game client. They can do so by following the process below:

Repair the game client
    1. Click here for instructions on how to repair the game client
    2. Restart the computer after running the 'repair'

If running the repair did not resolve the issue, please proceed to the 'Running as Administrator' guidelines.

Running as Administrator
    1. Right click on the launcher icon
    2. Select 'Properties'
    3. Click on the 'Compatibility' Tab
    4. Check the box that says 'Run as Administrator'
    5. Click Apply and Ok
    6. Run The Elder Scrolls Online game

The second option is if the above steps do not work, players should try deleting version files and then repairing the game client.

Deleting version files & Repairing (Windows)
    1. Customer should locate their "\The Elder Scrolls Online" or "\The Elder Scrolls Online EU" directory
    a. By default, located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU"
    2. Expand the Game Options menu (Cog wheel located above the News Feed)
    3. If the menu says, Updating…. Click cancel.
    4. If the menu says, Installing…. Restart the launcher, Upon restart the menu should say Updating… (or Update if auto-updates are turned off). Click Cancel if applicable.
    5. Locate the "Depot" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "depot.version" file.
    6. Locate the "Game" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "game_player.version" file.
    7. If applicable, locate the "VO_EN" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "vo_en.version" file.
    8. If applicable, locate the "VO_FR" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "vo_fr.version" file.
    9. If applicable, locate the "VO_DE" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "vo_de.version" file.
    10. In the game options menu click Repair
    11. If the game disappeared and does not show up as installed before you could click repair
    a. Click install
    b. Wait for data to start downloading
    c. Restart the launcher
    d. Expand the game option, it should say Updating…, click Cancel,
    e. Click repair

Deleting version files & Repairing (Mac OSX)
    1. Users need to locate their "\The Elder Scrolls Online" or "\The Elder Scrolls Online EU" directory
    a. By default, located at "Applications -> ZeniMax Online -> The Elder Scrolls Online" or "Applications -> ZeniMax Online -> The Elder Scrolls Online EU"
    2. Expand the Game Options menu (Cog wheel located above the News Feed)
    3. If the menu says, Updating…. Click cancel.
    4. If the menu says, Installing…. Restart the launcher, Upon restart the menu should say Updating… (or Update if auto-updates are turned off). Click Cancel if applicable.
    5. Locate the "Depot" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "depot.version" file.
    6. Locate the "Game" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "game_player.version" file.
    7. If applicable, locate the "VO_EN" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "vo_en.version" file.
    8. If applicable, locate the "VO_FR" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "vo_fr.version" file.
    9. If applicable, locate the "VO_DE" folder. Within that folder, locate and delete the "vo_de.version" file.
    10. In the game options menu click Repair
    11. If the game disappeared and does not show up as installed before you should click repair
    a. Click install
    b. Wait for data to start downloading
    c. Restart the launcher
    d. Expand the game option, it should say Updating…, click Cancel
    e. Click repair

Please note: In order for the above steps to fully work, players should restart their computer.

The third, and final option, is to uninstall the game client and then reinstall completely.

If customers are still encountering the '209 - Patch Manifest Error' after trying all of the above steps, please contact our Customer Support team for further assistance.