Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ultimate Ability Not Charging Up

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So today I realized my ultimate ability was not charging up. Someone in chat told me that if you fight enemies that are six levels or more below yours ultimate will not charge. Interestingly this seems to be the case as I fought enemies closer to my level and it began charging.

Is this something that is well known amongst players? Is it actually six levels below yours that triggers this to happen?
Edited by Publius_Scipio on April 16, 2014 12:10AM
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Ultimate ability itself is on a timer. If it's full and you don't use it after a few minutes, it resets to zero. The charging is relative to the enemies being killed. I can kill ~6 enemies at one level below or equal and it's full.

However, I'm not clear on the exact mechanics as what level enemy doesn't reward any Ultima at all.

Given that it is on a timer, chances are you won't be using it on lower leveled enemies, anyway. Or at least "need" to use it.
    Edited by SeñorCinco on April 16, 2014 1:00AM
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too sure about the "timer" part. Mine has reset on me when it was half full on many occasions. And it's not because I stood around either. I'm talking it was half full when I killed the last group, I talk to an NPC for the next stage of the quest, which takes maybe thirty seconds if I let him speak, then I attack the next group and it resets.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think you guys misunderstood my question. I was told that if you fight enemies that are 6 or more levels lower than you, your ultimate ability will not charge (i.e. not work). I thought the ultimate ability for me had become bugged or something but when I did fight enemies closer to my level it started working again.

Is this something that is well known about ultimate abilities? Is it actually 6 levels or more lower than your level as I stated above?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's 5 levels below you, no XP for killing them and no ultimate charge.
    That is by design ...
    :)
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    That is by design ...

Which is broken and needs to be removed.

The no-EXP gain is understandable. But there are enemies lower than you that can solo you.

Ultimate should not be tied and gimped to level, EVER. Period. That right here, is a broken and unbalanced mechanic that needs to go. A level 15 can fair better in a level 17 group dungeon, where-as a level 25 player is gimped and depending on their play-style and tactic dependency, handicapped.
    Edited by Lord_Hev on April 16, 2014 4:42AM
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Lanatireb17_ESO
    Lanatireb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I also saw that fighting enemies 5 or 6 levels below me does not charge the ultimate. So i would assume that is intended, yes.
  • Firestar_
    Firestar_
    ✭✭✭
    This also makes that claim of grinding on mudcrabs false.
    Firestar - Imperial Templar - Ebonheart Pact
    Reasons-For-War - Argonian Dragonknight - Ebonheart Pact
    Pearl Winterstone - Orc Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact
    Jerro - Dunmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Lanatireb17_ESO
    Lanatireb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    unless the mudcrabs are VR
  • DrunknAssassin7
    So I have a newbie question...how do I get ultimate abilities? I am a level 30 nightshade and I have none..I don't see any available to buy in any of my skill lines and I cannot slot anything to my ultimate slot in the ability bar..
  • DrunknAssassin7
    Nevermind I'm blind I guess
  • TheNephilimCrow
    TheNephilimCrow
    ✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »
    SirAndy wrote: »
    That is by design ...

Which is broken and needs to be removed.

The no-EXP gain is understandable. But there are enemies lower than you that can solo you.

Ultimate should not be tied and gimped to level, EVER. Period. That right here, is a broken and unbalanced mechanic that needs to go. A level 15 can fair better in a level 17 group dungeon, where-as a level 25 player is gimped and depending on their play-style and tactic dependency, handicapped.

Do you really need to use Ultimate on creatures that lower then you...? I think it is intended to have players stay in their zones. Same for not getting EXP for kills lower then you. Or else players would be grinding their first zones until they are OP for the next zone to grind. They want us in our zones doing our quests.
    Edited by TheNephilimCrow on October 4, 2015 3:08PM
    PSN, Youtube & Twitch: TheNephilimCrow
    [NA] ESO EP Guild (GM): The Order of Crows (PvE) - 300+ Members (Discontinued)
    [NA] ESO AD Guild (GM): The Blades of Ayrenn (PvP) - 45 Members (Actively Recruiting)

|:Veteran Rank:|
    VR16 - AD Breton - S&S/Bow Werewolf Stamina Nightblade - Title "Savage Shadow"
    VR 1 - AD Altmer - DW/Resto Magicka Sorcerer - Title "Spellsword"

|:Non-Veteran:|
    LVL 45 - DC Bosmer - Jack of Trades (Master Provisioning, Blacksmithing, etc.)
    Lvl 22 - AD Breton - Templar - Hybrid Build - PvE - Title "The Holy Knight"
    LVL 21 - AD Imperial - Dragonknight - Tank Build (In Progress)- Title "The Copper Knight"
    Lvl 13 - AD Khajit - DW Magicka Nightblade - Title "Mystical Thief"

• Yggdrasil_Gof
    Yggdrasil_Gof
    ✭✭✭
    Werewolf is an ultimate and It's fun being a werewolf whatever level your enemy is. I find if you allow you enemy to attack you again and again while you defend your ultimate will charge no matter the level of your enemy. Sometimes it doesn't work straight away, or seems to stop charging, (I don't know if the game feels your not actually fighting or what), if you use an attack that won't kill the enemy and continue blocking again it should start charging again. Obviously having to attack an enemy every once in a while they'll possibly be dead before full charge, so you might have to do this with 2-3 enemies, but it still won't take too long. If you're a far higher level than your enemy try to to take on multiple enemies at once it'll charge quicker. I'm VR 7 and this still works on the lowest level enemies.
    Give it a try and see if it works for you. :)