Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Why is ESO only utilizing one of my 8 cores

Pyrodious
Pyrodious
Hey all i am just wondering why is ESO using only one core? I have tried setting affinity in RadeonPRO to 2 and all cores also booted windows with only 4 of 8 cores but still maxing out one core. One would think there would be multi core support.

Is there any way possible to get eso to utilize even 2 cores

I have had to overclock my cpu to 4.0ghz just to get ESO to run to a acceptable level.

The attached file is of my task manager after i decided to boot windows with 4 cores and as you can see my 3 core is peaking with eso running and all my other cores are using bugger all. Also attached is a dxdiag

My Rig
AMD FX 8120 3.1ghz 8 core
Radeon HD R9 270
Gskill 8gb 1600hz

Hope someone can shed some light on the situation because i am stumped
Edited by Pyrodious on April 15, 2014 9:39AM
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    This probably not it, but a place to start.
    Open Task manager
    Go to processes tab
    Right-click eso.exe
    Click Set Affinity
    Make sure all the cores are selected.
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

Options
  • wu.chi.kung_ESO
    Options
  • Mishoniko
    Mishoniko
    ✭✭✭
    Many games just do not make use of multiple cores. The application has to be written to take advantage of them and in game programming, where it processes a carefully ordered serial stream of events, it takes a lot of design to separate threads in a meaningful way.

On the plus side, if you have enough RAM, you could run multiple copies of ESO nicely. :smile:

The OS will distribute other tasks away from the busy CPU so one pegged CPU shouldn't slow down things significantly for other applications. Things like the network card driver can be scheduled elsewhere.

Core parking generally works to your benefit on Intel CPUs as it allows the CPU to upclock the unparked cores to higher speeds. Once the cores are all active then the max Turbo Boost speeds drop. With default settings, Windows will automatically unpark cores as needed, though you can change the power management settings to run all the cores all the time if you choose.
    Options
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your running Windows 7, there are two Hotfix Patches available from Microsoft for AMD FX Processors that may solve the problem. These patches are NOT on Windows Update as far as I know. You can get them from here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

Install each patch one at a time, and reboot between the installation of each patch. Install KB2646060 (Selectively Disables Core Parking) Reboot, then install KB2645594 (Update for Windows 7 Processor Scheduler) then reboot, and your golden...now your FX will work as it was intended on Windows 7.

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 already include these fixes, and some other changes to the processor scheduler, these fixes are for Windows 7 and fix the issues associated with Bulldozer/Piledriver AMD Cpu's.

The AMD FX 8120 is a Bulldozer based CPU, and if your on Windows 7 these hotfixes apply for you.

Hope this helps! :)
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on April 15, 2014 11:18PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

Options
  • Pyrodious
    Pyrodious
    Thank you very much woodsro that fixed my problem. Your a legend mate!
    Options
  • cbrons
    cbrons
    I am have the same problem as you... http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/85888/help-with-pvp-choppiness?new=1 only I don't have an AMD processor and don't know if there is any workaround for me.
    Options