Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Combat staff timing trick?

EramTheLiar
EramTheLiar
✭✭✭✭
I feel kind of dumbing asking this, but is there some kind of timing trick to using a combat staff?

My sorcerers eventually wind up switching to melee weapons because when I try to use a combat staff I keep experiencing "misfires" -- essentially, my character will go through the animation of bringing the staff forward, but no destructive goodness will appear. It seems like I have to force myself to wait until the previous shot has hit the target before I can fire again or I experience this "combat staff mime" issue.

Also, when a target is at point blank range, I find I have to be extra precise about where I'm aiming the staff or it won't fire at all -- even if the target has the red outline, unless the crosshairs are actually focused on it, it won't fire.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I find swords are a lot more forgiving at close range. I do miss being able to fire ranged shots though. Maybe I should look into the bow...
  • thisisdustinsemail_ESO
    I have this same issue, although I experience it with the bow as well...
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this issue with the channeling-type staffs... i.e., healing and lightning. My healer has nearly died countless times because the blow that was supposed to finish the mob with her restoration staff was a misfire.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    I get this happen sometimes after I prematurely end a heavy attack, with melee weapons as well. I think that's what it is at least.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm glad it's not just me! Per BlackSparrow's comment I have noticed it less frequently with the Inferno Staff, though I do still get the point blank misfire issue with it.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    From my own observation, the misfires mostly happen when you do a quick left click, but I have rarely seen a heavy attack miss.
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, what I meant was a normal quick attack after prematurely ending a heavy one.

Sometimes I also find a strange delay before the heavy starts to charge if I instead go to another heavy charge up under the same circumstances, which I thought may be related to the same mechanical thing. Like a half or full second of pause while holding it down before it starts to kick in.

If it charges up at all I have not seen it misfire.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing it happen more in close combat. If a target is right up in my character's face, I'll find that the staff goes through the motion of firing a quick burst -- the arm raises up and thrusts forward, at which point the fire or electricity or ice is *supposed* arc toward the target -- but nothing happens. It'll do that two or three times and finally it'll start firing. It's a bit frustrating.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen this with staffs.

I do get misfires with melee occasionally. Sometimes if I simply hold left click to power attack multiple times, something happens where I'll miss every hit until I release the button and re-press it.

I think it happens if I rapidly try to roll or something at the same time. The game seems very unresponsive and buggy about trying to interrupt your power attack in order to do other actions.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this very rarely, only when I hit a lag spike.
    For the most part I'm fine with a staff - nothing like this usually.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Inactive Account
    Inactive Account
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have had this same experience as the OP.