The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

BSODs, CTDs, Freezes

Heskey
Heskey
Hi ZeniMax and other forum users,

I'm hoping you can help me with an issue that has only plagued me since installing ESO, and only whilst playing ESO. I'm hoping to find a solution that isn't "don't play ESO." ;)I have taken this problem to majorgeeks.com which has assisted me in the past, but I think I've got people stumped.

My rig, in a nutshell: I've attached a 64-bit DxDiag, but in a nutshell I run Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium (legit version), on an Intel i5-3570k processor, with 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM, Sapphire ATI HD7870 2GB GDDR5 graphics card. I built this in August 2012 and other than some faulty ram I replaced under warranty in December 2013, it has given me no issues gaming whatsoever.

The problem:
  1. My ESO client regularly 'stops working' and prompts me with the standard Crash Reporter. I've lost track of how many of these I've reported. This happens when I'm AFK, walking down the street, in combat, crafting, standing still - you name it, there seems to be no pattern. These have happened during beta, during early access, and still exist today in the live game. Sometimes I can go for 4 hours without a single issue, but at other times, there can be 4-5 in a 15 minute period. This prompted me to think my GPU drivers were outdated for a brand new game, and so I un-installed them, restarted my PC, downloaded the latest drivers, and reinstalled them:

Catalyst Control Centre: 13-12_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql
    GPU: AMD_Catalyst_14.3_Beta_V1.0_Windows_B22_March12

This has not solved the issue; and in fact the game threw up this Crash Reporter error message whilst alt-tabbed to making this post.

After taking this action, issue #2 started happening, which is much more worrying:
  2. My PC will BSOD every other day whilst playing ESO, and using Bluescreenview to view the minidump files (which are also attached), the same file name is cropping up: ntoskrnl.exe (7), as well as occasionally atikmdag.sys (2), hal.dll (1), and em008_64.dat (1). 3 of these occurred within a 1hr40 min period on the same night. The dates are all in April 2014: 1st, 1st, 1st, 4th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th. The blank period between the 4th and 11th will have been when I was working and didn't have much time to play (6 days on, 4 days off).

As mentioned above, ESO is the only game I have experienced these BSODs with; my minidumps start on 1st April 2014.

Lastly, issue #3:
  3. Though minor, in comparison to issue #1 and #2, my client has once or twice just frozen up. The sound and music still plays and loops but the visuals just lock. I can alt-tab but the only way to stop the game is ALT+CTRL+DEL and stop the eso.exe process. This hasn't happened all too often, but last night it was pretty prolific; certainly at the boss in Enduum (Glenumbra public dungeon). where it happened 4-5 times in a 15 minute period.
So those are the issues. What can we rule out?

Attempted Solutions & Outcomes:

Close the Launcher: I saw it suggested in beta that the Launcher can randomly cause CTDs. As a result I've played without the Launcher open, once the game client has loaded, since the early release. Clearly, this hasn't helped. I've also ran the game as an Administrator.

Reinstall: I have tried a fresh reinstall of ESO, but this has not helped.

Virus: I use ESET Smart Security 6, which is superb at turning malicious software away at the door. I have fun a full computer scan across all drives and sectors, and found no threats of any kind, whatsoever.

MemTest: The only other BSODs I've had with this PC were in December 2013 whilst playing WoW (anything in fact, but that's all I played at the time). The error messages were nothing similar to Issue #2 above, and it turned out to be faulty RAM. This was diagnosed and confirmed through MemTest, and Corsair promptly replaced my entire RAM like-for-like, free of charge, under their unlimited warranty, which was nice of them!

To rule out another memory issue due to this being BSOD-related again, I ran a full test and it confirmed 0 errors (whereas in January it would run into the 5 zero's range).

Reinstall Drivers: I have reinstalled both my motherboard chipset drivers, and my GPU's drivers numerous times in the optimal fashion, and this has not solved anything. Also, the beta drivers listed above are the only drivers officially available through ATI at the moment.

I've googled some threads about ntoskrnl.exe and a lot of people seem to say "reinstall windows", but another lot of people say "it's never the kernal; it's telling you it's something else, like drivers."

I'm not enormously outraged about this, but I would like to fix it. It's obviously very annoying as I'm sure you can imagine, and I've actively taken what steps I'm aware of to try and fix the issue. I'm hoping that someone at ZeniMax, or a technical wizard reading this thread will either post here, or contact me directly, and try to help me address this issue. I love this game and would like to play without having to restart my client or PC 4/5 times in a 3 hour play period.

Please see what you can do for me?

Thanks very much!

- Heskey
Edited by Heskey on April 14, 2014 8:31PM
  • sebastien.montaudb16_ESO
    The same for me. BSOD with ESO only.... Patch it.
  • Heskey
    Heskey
    I have been trying various things to fix these issues, and though I'm in contact with ZeniMax customer support, it is very slow going - almost 5 days since I submitted the report they requested off to them.

Predominantly now, however, my issue is "We're sorry. The Elder Scrolls Online has quit unexpectedly." as outlined in Issue #1. This crash reporter has occurred 5-6 times tonight in effectively 1.5 hours of game play and it is driving me to distraction.

I have Googled the issue and found suggestions to:

1.) Port Forward - there are no issues with my ports, they are open for the game.

2.) Change the UserSettings.txt to power graphics from "D3D11" to "OpenGL". This resulted in a ridiculous FPS drop, to where I'd prefer to frequently reload the game than play in that state. On reverting back to D3D11 I had to 'repair' the game once more as I was getting the crash reporter as soon as I requested to log my character into the game world.

3.) ATI produced a 14.4 beta driver a few days ago which I have updated to; this hasn't helped sort the issue.

Below are the Crash Report Details. I have no idea if they're the same or similar to every other crash I've experienced tonight.

====================================================================
    eso has stopped working.
    ====================================================================

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.1.0.5.972475
    branch = live
    char.account = hesketh7085
    char.alliance = 3
    char.name = Ingvar Brogensson
    client.executablebits = 32
    client.mode = inworld
    client.renderertype = D3D11
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2014-04-23T21:00:41.682Z
    client.time_since_load = 137
    client.timestamp = 2014-04-23T21:13:20.455Z -frme 50592-
    client.uptime = 758.8
    computer.name = JAMES-PC
    computer.user = James
    cpu.arch = 0
    cpu.count = 4
    cpu.level = 6
    cpu.type = 586
    data.depotid = 4001
    data.dir = D:/Program Files (x86)/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online
    data.syncm = databuild
    data.version = 0.win.0.live.972475
    exe.buildnum = 972475
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    gfx.description = 14.100.0.0
    gfx.deviceid = 26648.-501803189.0
    gfx.driver = AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
    gfx.vendorid = 4098
    globby.address = 198.20.200.63
    globby.port = 24500
    loc.wloc = 141 111393 17005 315448 304.27
    loc.world = Glenumbra
    loc.worldid = 141
    loc.zone = Glenumbra
    login.address = 198.20.200.63
    mem.current = 1151
    mem.peak = 1215
    mem.physical = 8147
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 6.1.7601.Service Pack 1
    ptime = 0
    realm.depotid = 0
    realm.id = 4001
    realm.name = EU Megaserver
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 1
    version.patch = 0
    version.subpatch = 5
  • draczeqeb17_ESO
    I have same problem as you in point 1) and 3) (luckily no BSOD yet). I must have sent them like 100+ crash reports ... no response or solution yet.
  • Loqe
    Loqe
    Tried uninstalling your AV? em008_64.dat semms to be related to ESET Smart Security. Maybe try without or another AV to test if you still crash.
    Checked if there are any new drivers for your MB? chipset etc.

What does "WhoCrashed" say about your system if you download it from:
    resplendence.com/downloads
  • Heskey
    Heskey
    For anyone else having this, or similar issues. I'm in regular contact with 'Jon the Shade' and Michael from ESO's technical support team. They're very patient, understanding, and helpful. Michael's quite a character, too.

This is the current email from Michael that I'm working from, and would suggest anyone else having these issues works through them too. Note, that this problem is not fixed yet, but I've not finished troubleshooting:

"Off that bat, I'm going to need a "msinfo32.txt" This problem you have is a Beast, and I am not 100% confident that this problem can be fixed. But we will try!

We are going to have to investigate this, to the most thorough degree.

Make a "MSInfo"

Here are the necessary steps to create a MSInfo:
    How to run MSInfo32 on Windows XP:

Click Start, then Run
    Type msinfo32 in the Run box, and click OK
    While viewing the System Summary node, go to File and select Export
    Save the MSINFO32 report as "msinfo32.txt" on the desktop for easy access

Please note that the file is very large, so it should not be copy/pasted into the contents of an e-mail.

How to run MSinfo32 on Windows Vista, 7, and 8.

Press Windows Key + R
    Type msinfo32 in the Search box, and click OK
    While viewing the System Summary node, go to File and select Export
    Save the MSINFO32 report as "msinfo32.txt" on the desktop for easy access

Now that the report has been generated, Please attach the "msinfo32.nfo" to this email.

I read your Forum Article. I really would like to take the time and say, I truly understand what you are going through. You built your computer in 2012. I built mine a year before that. I so know the horror.. Of trying to isolate problems like this. It literally could be anything. And it always seems to happen out of the blue. From something that can be totally unrelated.... Like trying to play a new game.

*Comedic Drum Rift*

The irony.... I remember writing to tech support about a similar issue, picking there brains. Around that time, I worked in Geek Squad. So I knew when they were pulling my leg, and when they where Legit. I didn't work here.

Now, it seems, the roles have reversed. I am now, helping someone else who was once in my shoes. LOL.....life is awesome!

I will be completely honest with you. I gave in <
    I Reinstalled Windows 7.

I got tired.... of trying to track down all the issues that would randomly pop up, every single freaking time I would try to play the newest game. I just wanted to play my freaking games in peace. That's all I wanted. The random crashes and errors. Performance loss and memory leaks.....arg.

I will not lie to you my friend. I couldn't, even if I wanted too. I hold myself accountable to a higher power.

It was the best decision I ever made <

Most of my problems disappeared in thin air. And it only took me about 3 hours, to reinstall windows, and also install my backed up applications and programs. 3 hours, despite a full week of troubleshooting. Trying to keep the ship a float, while still taking water.

"...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." - Sherlock Holmes

This is what I personally recommend for you. However, if you really want to do this....

I wont let you go solo. We got your back.

I realize you have tried most of the Mainstream Troubleshooting already. So lets, try some outside of the box solutions, while we wait for the "msinfo32.txt"

1.) Overheating, Dirt, etc

When was the last time you took the cover off of your computer? 2 Years is a while. Have you considered blowing out your Heatsinks, Fans, and Computer Exhaust ports? If they are backed up with Dust, your problem is most likely Overheating. This will cause unpredictable behavior and errors. I know one time, I had to take apart one of my computers. Right down the motherboard. Trying to figure out why, whenever I would play certain games on this machine, it would give me crazy errors after prolonged times of use.

Come to find out, the Used Motherboard I bought, was cheap for a reason. Someone had spilled some drink on it, and the seller did his best to refurbish it. However, he completely forgot to clean the opposite side with Acetone. Ya that was fun. You cannot use paper towels ore rags. They just get stock on the solder points. You gotta use a Tooth Brush Then I found out that, the Thermal Paste on the Heat Sink Chipset (Not the CPU) was dry as plaster material. Funny thing was, it worked perfectly for a while, even with all the dried up soda at the bottom.

Sometimes problems will only manifest themselves on completely unrelated circumstances. I only took the time to investigate my issue, because again, I wanted to play some game. I mainly use my computers for Gaming and LAN parties. ^-^

2.) Windows Updates / Mainboard Updates

Have you downloaded all of your Windows Updates? Could be something as weird as a motherboard chipset driver being outdated. Example: The PCI Express Slot 16x Driver, is outdated, but the Graphics Drivers are current, etc etc.

3.) Antivirus Program

Maybe your Antivirus is too good...? I've heard of some customers having to completely uninstall certain Antivirus Programs, because it caused instability with the game they wanted to play. Even after adding Exceptions. I personally prefer Kaspersky, been using it for 5 years. However, before that, I was a sworn Mcafee User. Until my Quake 3 would stop working at random times... in the middle of Freeze Tag. But that was along time ago. Maybe they worked out the kinks by then ..... LOL

At least with Kaspersky, I can tell it to cut off ALL REAL TIME SCANNING with a push of a button for a set amount of min's. You may want to consider this troubleshooting for your Antivirus Program. If you wish to try this, make sure you have your keys First, incase you want to reinstall it. Or maybe disable it while you play the game. See if the problem happens again. Also try this step in the below mode...

4.) Selective Startup

Maybe there is a program that really does not like the game. Could be legit. Could be some type of low level malware that, is not quite a virus. But classified as "unwanted programs" with legit signatures. Booting the PC in this may help to circumvent this. However its not a 100% fix. Give it a try:

Selective Start Up

This will turn off the startup programs, and most of the services that the computer doesn't need to run. Let's give the following a try:

1.) On your keyboard, press Windows + R to open the Run window.
    2.) Enter msconfig in the search field, and press Enter.
    3.) Right-click on the msconfig.exe program and choose Run as administrator
    4.) To place your computer into Selective Start up:
    a. On the General Tab at the top, click on the Selective Startup Radio Button
    b. Uncheck"Load startup items"
    5.) Click on the Services Tab at the top
    6.) On the Services Tab check the Hide all Microsoft Services check box at the bottom
    5.) Click the Disable all button at the bottom
    6.) Click Apply, then click OK
    7.) Restart your computer

When your computer comes up again, you will be in Selective Start Up. Try the game again, and see if you have different results. Once you have tried the game, if everything works fine, then one of the service or startup programs was causing the issues you were seeing. It is advised that you find the programs that are causing this, so you play the game in "Normal" boot.

Once you have finished this troubleshooting, you should turn selective startup back off. This is done by opening the msconfig window again, and selecting the Normal startup radio button. Click Apply, then click OK, and restart your computer again.

5.) Faulty Hardware

Try to think outside of the box. You stated that you checked you ram, and Major Geek's help to reveal that it was faulty. What about the Memory banks? Are they clean? Dirty Memory Slots can cause random BSOD's when a Powerful Application (like our game) demands storage. All it takes is one faulty pin. Put your hand on your PC. If it feels unusually hot, in certain places, this is where you want to navigate too. Could be perfectly fine, however, stuff breaks at the Weakest point, and not the Strongest. (Unless done so artificially, or from some outside force)

What about the Graphics Card, and its memory? Just like System Ram, its memory needs to be checked too. I actually had this problem before. And it would only act up on just one game for some silly reason. But to its credit, my system was not very stable because I Overclocked...which brings me to....

6.) Overclocking

If you are running any Overclock's, voltage mod's, memory clocks, make sure its all stock. Make sure your not using some weird turbo mode in the Bias of your computer, that automatically throttles Overclocking. All FSB Overclock's as well as CPU Multipliers, Ram Voltage and Timing mod's, should all be stock. Any tweaks to the Graphics Card should be stock. Overclocking can cause what you are experiencing. And it just could be that, our game is revealing the strain on your system.

7.) Scratching my head here man...

Try to think of something easily overlooked or Assumed. The solution could be right under your nose. You cant see the $100 Dollar bill, because its too close to your face ^_^

That's the best I can do for you, without looking at the "msinfo32.txt" To tell the truth, it will only reveal "Software" issues. If its a hardware issue, it will be much harder to find.

You have had this problem since the very first install of ESO, and despite the numerous patches that have help so many customers with similar Computers, you still have this issue. It would be logical to assume that it must be something else causing this issue man.

You have WINDOWS 7. It is the Best operating system that Microsoft has ever come out with. *Kicks Windows 8 with a Kungfu Jumping Round House Kick) It owns even the mighty Windows XP (In its prime time) You shouldn't be having so much trouble my friend. I truly believe it to be either a, Hurting Windows Installation, Hardware issue, or some software plaguing the game. Again I quote:

"...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." - Sherlock Holmes

I hope these...now redundant.... words help you my friend. I'll be here waiting for your response.

Whether you decide to Reinstall Windows, or not, give us the "msinfo32.txt" anyway. Just so we can make sure its not some simple program causing all this trouble.

We got your back man! I will do my best not to let you down.

Warm Regards,
    Michael, The Elder Scrolls Online Team"
  • Mange
    Mange
    ✭✭
    I am in the same boat as you OP, I am giving the beta drivers for my video card a try now.
    I went days without a crash, was finishing a quest and my client gave me an error + crash reporter and I tried to use my temporary fix of restarting the computer right after and still ended up getting a memory management BSOD with ntoskrnl.exe crashing. It's due to a software error and I am guessing gfx driver errors, the software most likely being something involving ESO.
    Whatever the cause it seems to damage the windows OS afterwards so I did a system restore to before it happened again before reinstalling the beta drivers. Infact after the last BSOD everytime I attempted to start up ESO it crashed immediately. I've also shut off my auto windows updates because everytime a critical update installs, one important enough to create a restore point, ESO seems to crash and BSOD not to long after.
  • kawazu874b16_ESO
    3 things to try imho :
    - completely uninstall video driver, reboot and let only the one from windows update being installed, play a few sessions to see what happens.
    - completely disable (uninstall ?) your AV while playing teso for a few sessions and watch if bsod happens.
    - full scan of your hard drive (chkdsk /f /r in an admin console, it will ask you to reboot to be able to scan, be careful, it takes a long time)
    hope this helps, even a little bit.
  • Brabok
    Brabok
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to paint the darkest picture but my money is on the graphic card.
    See if you have a mate who might be willing to lend you his card for test purposes and replace that.
    Ideally you should completely uninstall your graphic drivers and then make the switch.
    BSODs are usually due to hardware failures or an outdated BIOS, in my personal experience anyways.
    Conflicts tend to cause them as well but to be honest since Win7 I dont think i heard of any IRQ conflicts, so I'd say they are quite rare.
    Mind you, I don't claim to know everything, but this is where I would start with troubleshooting.
    Hope you get this sorted.
    Can't think of anything more infuriating than my PC giving in...
    Edited by Brabok on May 1, 2014 10:45AM
    Never argue with Idiots
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
  • animadversor
    animadversor
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same problem with BSOD while playing ESO. And the problem got much worse (from once a couple of days to once every 5 mins) AFTER I decided to give some UIs a try. Needless to say, I promptly uninstalled all the UIs.

I read the thread and some of you say it might be a problem with the graphics card, me and my husband use the same graphic card, but we run on different windows systems (mine is Win8, his is Win7), and mine is the only one with the BSOD problems, before or after the UI.

I would like to get some UIs, maybe not right now, but at some point? Is there a way for ESO to be able to fix this? I am not even sure it is a problem with ESO, it might very well be a problem with Windows for all I know. But my computer only start crashing very frequently after I installed UIs. Maybe they can improve the UI functionality so it doesn't cause so much problem?
  • Brabok
    Brabok
    ✭✭✭
    When i pointed to the graphic card i did not mean to diminish the make or model.
    Iit could simply be possible that the card in itself is faulty.
    Also system RAMs should be checked to make sure they are not the cause of the problem.
    Generally speaking BSODs are due to hardware issues.
    That could mean driver /IRQ conflicts, faulty or overheating hardware .. even dirty sockets.
    It is neigh impossible to do troubleshooting over the forums.
    All we can do is try to point people in the right direction and hope the problems get found and sorted.
    Never argue with Idiots
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience